CMPzC Normandy '44 Caen Operation - Axis HQ

I have decided to use a different method for unit identification. So, below, you will see a battleships style operational map. The map shows the Axis starting deployment, and all visible enemy units that have moved into view this turn. The OOB pictures show the hex coordinates of each visible stack. The question mark represents a sound contact for artillery fire. The PzC options being used allow counter battery fire against hexes containing sound contacts, but with the damage factor of the indirect fire reduced by a quarter.

AxisUnitPositions1_zpsb575a340.jpg

AxisDeploymentUnitID1_zps905ac9f2.jpg

AxisDeploymentUnitID2_zps0b418371.jpg

SpottedEnemyUnits1_zpsce8f48d2.jpg

I want you to write your fire orders in the following way: Firing units name / Hex coordinate of target hex / target units location in the stack list, with 1 being the top unit.

Therefore, if A Company wants to fire at an enemy foot company occupying hex B7, the orders would be written: A Co / B7 / 3

I want you to write your move orders in the following way: Moving units name: Formation / Hex coordinate of objective / Formation.

Therefore, if A Company wants to move in travel formation (T) to hex G5, then deploy to combat formation ©, the order would be written: A Co: T / G5 / C

I will move the unit to the desired hex the following the safest and most economical path.

Before you move your main forces, you may move scouting forces to spot enemy units.

Below are screenshots showing the indirect fire weapons that are eligible to fire at the start of your PzC phase. The mortars may be used now, and in any CM battles that occur later. However, the artillery can only be used once per PzC turn. Either during the PzC phase, or the CM battle phase. The firing units hex location and its location in the stack are highlighted in red.

AxisIndirectFire1_zps511d6585.jpg

AxisIndirectFire2_zps5751910a.jpg

AxisIndirectFire3_zps14b53a49.jpg

AxisIndirectFire4_zpsddb9c3ae.jpg

AxisIndirectFire5_zps1c89c10a.jpg

Below are screenshots of the units that can perform direct fire, with the white arrows showing the eligible targets.

Firing uses movement points.

AxisDirectFire1_zps5f6e7051.jpg

AxisDirectFire2_zpsaf4792e1.jpg

The 88's can only target the tanks at hex F8.

AxisDirectFire3_zps53382bde.jpg

I will create a table showing the hex ranges of each unit type.

Can I partecipate to this? it is for CMBN right?

I have CW module and DB H2HH

thanks in advance

Thanks for showing an interest.

Anyone can participate in coming up with operational orders. However, to play any of the CM battles that are generated, you must have CMBN CW v2.01, and be able to process at least one PBEM turn a day. Eligibility is also based on a first come first served basis. Which means you will be third on the list, after Strachwitz (1) and ian Leslie (2). Therefore, you can only play a CM battle if there are either three battles, players higher up the list cannot play at the time of the battle, or someone drops out of a battle because of real life issues.

Thanks for showing an interest.

Anyone can participate in coming up with operational orders. However, to play any of the CM battles that are generated, you must have CMBN CW v2.01, and be able to process at least one PBEM turn a day. Eligibility is also based on a first come first served basis. Which means you will be third on the list, after Strachwitz (1) and ian Leslie (2). Therefore, you can only play a CM battle if there are either three battles, players higher up the list cannot play at the time of the battle, or someone drops out of a battle because of real life issues.

About my turn rate it isn't a problem, strachwitz can witness this :). But I really don't know from where to begin. I never played Panzer campaign, is there some kind of tutorial from where I can get info's?

I have been thinking a bit and have a few ideas for what we should do. I would like to put together a draft set of orders we can then discuss a bit. The trouble is I will likely not be able to do that until tomorrow morning. So in case someone beats me to it here are my thoughts.

We should use our 150mm batteries to impede the most threatening force (either the stack at E7 or F8).

We should keep our 105 battery for use during a CM battle.

We should concentrate our 120 mortars at a target they can all reach (no idea if that is actually possible - just thinking our loud without figuring out those details at the moment).

Use the 88s to shoot at whatever tanks we can - favouring the targeting of those closest to the VLs

Move to reinforce the upper VL - not sure if we can reach it or not. Including some tanks.

Reinforce the lower VL.

We have four roughly equal forces of tanks that are separated from our infantry. I do not think that is good. However we also need to prevent our forces from being split in two. Occupying G13 should give us enough of a zone of control to prevent splitting - a least without a fight. I propose we move some tank units there forthwith and pull some infantry out of the right most town to join them.

About my turn rate it isn't a problem, strachwitz can witness this :). But I really don't know from where to begin. I never played Panzer campaign, is there some kind of tutorial from where I can get info's?

You can download a demo of the PzC game plus this scenario at the link below, the folder contains PzC tutorials.

Now that i have made available a demo version of PzC Normandy '44 and the scenario you are playing, I want to dispense with me being the umpire. Therefore, i want you all to familiarise yourselves with PzC by playing the Caen scenario as a one player game versus the AI. Once you are familiar with the game, I would like one of you to process the Axis turn, after the team has agreed on a plan of action , and post it to a dropbox folder i will create. This dropbox folder will be shared with the Allied team for the purposes of sending PzC and CM turns.

As the Allies have already performed their PzC phase for turn 1, i will post the save file for the scenario in the dropbox for the Axis team to process their PzC phase.

I would like an AAR made of each operational turn, along with AAR's of the CM battles.

@noob, Is the fact that we are talking about our operational orders, an indication that there was no CM battle to be fought resulting from the Allies turn?

Sorry, my bad, yes, there are no Allied units eligible to assault this operational turn.

@noob:

I am downloading the PzC demo as I write and will look into it and play the scenario to get a feel for the operational layer. But this could a take until the weekend.

@ian.leslie:

Sounds like a plan for me ian.leslie. I will look into this a bit deeper with appropriate feedback and suggestions as soon as I am more into the campaign mechanism.

@marseu:

I witnessed the good turn rate. That and your outstanding performance as italian commander on the battlefield :-).

@noob:

I am downloading the PzC demo as I write and will look into it and play the scenario to get a feel for the operational layer. But this could a take until the weekend.

Good, I want all participants to get a feel for the PzC game, that way the operational turns can be carried out quicker, and with more awareness. I am not too concerned about compromising the operational FOW by practising against the AI, as I regard this is a small price to pay for building up a group of CM players that are familiar with the PzC game, and will hopefully play similar CMPzC games H2H with other players in the future.

@noob:

If you want I can do the operational turn for the Axis team and also write the operational AARs if nobody else wants to step forward.

Just to sum it up if I got it right: As you are the umpire we will make our movement and operational artillery fire by ourselves in PzC and declare which assaults to be made and converted to CM battles, right? Are you then setting up the battles? I understand that the defender gets the map first to apply fortifications and gaps and so on. But the actual deployment of forces has to be made by someone neutral I guess to not accidentally spoil the defensive plan. Or is that way that the attacker chooses and edits the map according to the assault parameters and adds his units, sends it to the defender who then edits the map and deploys his forces.

Regarding artillery. As the Allies already made their operational turn and you didn`t mention that we where hit by artillery does it mean they didn`t fire any artillery at our positions?Is this the same for direct fire? So no direct fire on our units this turn? That leaves the question why there is a artillery firing sound contact. Or are operational artillery results posted just before the CM battles are due? As I understand from reading the rules it is possible to fire all of our artillery and mortar assets at enemy targets and don`t have to fear we could not use it in CM battles as there are no CM battles (assumed we don`t initiate our own assaults).

@noob:If you want I can do the operational turn for the Axis team and also write the operational AARs if nobody else wants to step forward.

I do want :)

Just to sum it up if I got it right: As you are the umpire we will make our movement and operational artillery fire by ourselves in PzC and declare which assaults to be made and converted to CM battles, right?

The reason I created CMPzC was to dispense with umpires, so now both sides have the PzC game, you can play the operation H2H, or Team2Team. I will help with any problems that may arise, or clarify the rules, but you and your opponent should do most of the work yourselves.

Are you then setting up the battles? I understand that the defender gets the map first to apply fortifications and gaps and so on. But the actual deployment of forces has to be made by someone neutral I guess to not accidentally spoil the defensive plan. Or is that way that the attacker chooses and edits the map according to the assault parameters and adds his units, sends it to the defender who then edits the map and deploys his forces.

I will send you the current PzC game file, saved at the start of the Axis PzC turn. You will perform all your movement and firing. Once complete, you will email the CO of the Allies with the hex coordinates of the enemy occupied hexes you intend to assault. Then, the Allied player can crop the CM maps from the master maps (I will provide the CM maps), add set up zones and exit strips, add the participating CM forces, set the parameters i.e. time, weather etc then save it as a .btt scenario file. The .btt file is then sent to you for you to set up your forces and set up zones. Then, once complete, you can start the battle as a PBEM game.

Regarding artillery. As the Allies already made their operational turn and you didn`t mention that we where hit by artillery does it mean they didn`t fire any artillery at our positions?Is this the same for direct fire? So no direct fire on our units this turn? That leaves the question why there is a artillery firing sound contact. Or are operational artillery results posted just before the CM battles are due?

Sorry, I forgot to tell you about the fire you received from the Allies. You received artillery fire, small arms and tank fire, and mortar fire. The damage was negligible apart from one unit becoming disrupted. This problem will not occur again, as from now you will be able to watch a replay of the Allied turn from your point of view before your turn. That way you get to see what fires at you, and from where.

As I understand from reading the rules it is possible to fire all of our artillery and mortar assets at enemy targets and don`t have to fear we could not use it in CM battles as there are no CM battles (assumed we don`t initiate our own assaults).

You are correct, apart from it is only artillery, mobile artillery, and rockets that are restricted to one fire per operational turn, mortars can fire in the PzC phase, and support a CM battle as an off map asset.

I will set up an operational dropbox folder for you to share with the Allied team. Therefore i need an email address for anyone in that wishes to play the operational CM battles.