I tried adding the rivers by using the editor and at first it was quite easy to use but when I went to save and verify everything it did not work so well. Somehow the partisan and decisions scripts got screwed up. I don't know why or how the scripts got mess up. All I did was added and fix some rivers and change some other things on the map, like removing the lone mountain that is one space from Berlin. But I must have mess up somewhere.:(

So it looks like this is not something that I can fix on my end. Is the map maker going to take another look at the map again anytime soon?

Hi Eisenhammer

I have taken your suggestions on board and added/rerouted all the rivers you've mentioned, ready for a patch.

The changes you made didn't actually mess up any scripts, but what happens in the editor is that if you change features on the map, then some or all of the scripts will need to be rechecked to ensure that they still work with the new changes.

You can add them in your side, but you would need to save the campaign with a new name, and then when you save it having made the changes, select no to check the scripts. Hit the Update* button, it might take a few minutes but it will then be able to save again, and then get playing with your new changes in place! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bill

Are there many changes coming on the AOD map? I am trying to use it as the basis for a new scenario.

In particular I am trying to roll it forward to use in 1942 but I am having trouble with adjusting the newly conquered territory as compared with 1939. This is particularly the case with ex-French territory. So I have for example created French Indochina to replace the previous French territory but when I try to mark it as now controlled by the Japanese it will only give me the option of the territory being German although it marks it as yellow on various strategic maps. Unfortunately once the territory is German I cannot place Japanese units in it. I guess I could make the Axis partners be fully cooperative to get round that but I would prefer Japanese flags to be flown and so on.

Regards

Mike

There will be some, so it'll be best to hold fire on design work using the map until the patch is released... hopefullly soon.

For French Indochina, in Country Data change the occupier to Japan. However, if the Editor won't let you, then I think that Japan and France will need to have a Belligerent status.

Hi Bill

I found what I was doing "wrong". I had set the country as surrendered before trying to change the ownership of each tile. It seems that locks the ownership to only one of the opposing powers and not always the correct one. So first have the country set in its original ownership state then go through with the tile changer and you can set it to whatever country you wish as controlling each tile.

Whether this will subsequently play correctly I am not sure. Certainly if I then go back to the country and mark it as surrendered it reverts to the wrong opponent again. You might like to check whether this is how the editor should be behaving.

Regards

Mike

There will be some, so it'll be best to hold fire on design work using the map until the patch is released... hopefullly soon.

For French Indochina, in Country Data change the occupier to Japan. However, if the Editor won't let you, then I think that Japan and France will need to have a Belligerent status.

How will the patch effect mods? I only ask because I've already completed an entire mod that encompasses only the European theatre. Is it possible to get a detailed list of changes? I've added new countries so it's not as simple as using the new map.

Hi Hubert

Unfortunately there will be an impact on my attempt to provide an enhanced version of AOD to include more naval loops as I will need to either apply my loops to the new map and scenario or apply the map and scenario changes to my "looped" version. It will be helpful if you include a fairly detailed description of the changes you make so I can evaluate which will be the less work. I can obviously just lift the loop events from one to the other but it will still need me to mark up the 400 or so loop entrances and exits on the new map.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

We'll hopefully have all the details of the changes included, sometimes a few get missed being mentioned, but one thought is to simply export the text layer as well as the symbol layer (if applicable) from your current map and then import them to the new patched map.

At that point you can apply your LOOP.txt script file as well and perhaps that will do the trick and save you some time and effort?

Hubert

Hi Hubert

That sounds like a very useful feature - would it operate between AOD and Gold for, say, transferring production queues between scenarios or will it only be suitable for similar versions and releases of the game?

Regards

Mike

Between AoD and GOLD it unfortunately won't work as expected as there is just too much data that has changed at the unit data level... but some items might work such as text layers, or the tile layer etc.

Usually between different releases you will have limitations on what can be imported from an older release, but from within similar versions this is not much of an issue if at all.

Hi Bill

Well my technique of changing the ownership of tiles but not surrendering the countries to get to 1942 from AOD 1939 worked in that I could then place the correct Axis (i.e. Japanese) units in the conquered countries. However, I got an interesting run through of all the countries surrendering when I started the scenario. Which is fun for players the first time through as it is rather like showing the earlier episodes in a series, however, I suspect it will become tedious after a while and if I leave it I will have to offset the credits awarded for the conquered countries!

I presume there must be a better way to do this.

My impression is that my Axis Triumphant scenario unit mix will rather rattle around on the new large map, having been too dense on the old scale! I think I shall have to convert some more armies to corps and divisions to be able to build continuous lines.

At some stage I think it would be worth having a debate about how to handle such a variety of unit sizes. At the moment AOD effectively has units representing strength 1 (div) strength 2 (corps) and strength 3 (army) . Of course irl the relationship div/corps/army might be more like 1, 4, 8. I will make some suggestions as to how this might be handled once I have tried out a few of my current ideas.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike

The only way to stop those messages is to have the relevant countries set as Surrendered and also occupied by Japan in the Country Data area.

What you've done is a work around but it does have, as you've said, the messages at the start which are a bit unnecessary.

I hope that makes sense?

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bill & Hubert

Thank you for 1.01.

Have you got any tips as to the best way to apply the changes to a scenario that has taken World at War and moved it forward to 1942 and incorporated some map changes?

I would like, for example, to include, the new town of Kursk but I have made several other resource changes of my own in terms of fortifications etc. I presume in this situation it will be best to add Kursk myself as that is the lesser task. However, where you have made a number of terrain changes e.g. hills and marshes but I have only made a few then might it be best to import your changes which I guess might nullify mine?

Finally if I have made some changes to the tile layer, such as reducing the size of Midway, will that prevent any imports until I change the tiles back to what they were?

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

No real easy way to merge the changes other than to do what you have suggested which is to take the lesser path for each change.

So for example, if it is easier to import the terrain changes from the latest patch and then re-apply your changes that might be the way to go if you have less changes then what we have done for the patch.

Changing layers will not prevent any imports, but of course if you import over your changes then the changes will be lost.

Hope this helps,

Hubert