Goumier...WIP

Just like the Russians.

And the Germans on the russian front.

The statistics are kinda grim here. Wiki says 4 roughly regimental sized units of 12 000 goumiers in total participated in WW2.

Consider this in light of the estimate of 60 000 cases of violence and 12 000 cases of rape.

So...I don't think this can be dismissed as a generalization instead of systematic behaviour. (Sorry for taking this further offtopic, but in my opinion these guys deserve to be called bastards. Even that's putting it lightly.)

"Four Moroccan groups (regimental-sized units, about 12 000 men in total) served with the Allied forces during World War II."

"Over 60,000 women, ranging in age from eleven to 86, suffered from violence"

"He considers probable the figure of 12.000 women raped given by the Unione Donne Italiane."

• 1 month later...

Coming along. Need to fix little things like the front of the collar and desaturate some of the gear and whatnot. but I'm also thinking that the djebella are too light -colored and don't have narrow-enough stripes (the texture distortion when they are kneeling is unavoidable). Undecided for now...

CMFortressItaly2013-09-1820-51-37-91.png

CMFortressItaly2013-09-1820-47-16-39.png

Were the robes they wore at all "uniform", or was it more "ragtag" with everyone bringing a different design from home? The photograph posted earlier showing several Goumiers together makes the robes look surprisingly consistent from man to man -- although without color in the photos it's hard to say for certain. (Any robe grogs?)

Were the robes they wore at all "uniform", or was it more "ragtag" with everyone bringing a different design from home? The photograph posted earlier showing several Goumiers together makes the robes look surprisingly consistent from man to man -- although without color in the photos it's hard to say for certain. (Any robe grogs?)

From all the pictures I've seen, they do appear relatively consistent within units, but I can't confirm that. They are traditional tribal designs and colors, as I understand it, so I think they should be at least look very similar. But I like a little variation, so we'll see how they end up. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi mj,

Looks good, but so far they are wearing the wrong style of helmet as the top photo in post #21 shows. I think they would have worn the same style as the French poilus, or perhaps latterly American style helmets. What do you say?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f6/FrenchTrenchWWI--nsillustratedwar03londuoft.jpeg

Michael

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

First, MG 2.0 interrupted me, then I was lucky enough to become a scenario tester for CMRT, so I'm way behind on this and other mods I'd been working on. Truthfully, I'm burned out on Red Thunder (I know, poor, poor pitiful me!), so once it's released, I'll be looking to finish up this mod. There will be a problem, though, since there are no Arabic, or even French, voices mods to go with these guys. Or maybe some Frenchman has done such a mod for, say, the Free French?