Goumier...WIP

Coming to a CMGL game in your area soon!

I'm working on Moroccan/Algerian Goumier (Goumiers=plural?). I'm testing colors for the djeballas, atm. The whole collar of the US/Brit greatcoat needs re-working to make it look like a normal neck opening for the djeballa, so the neck area for now is just dark. (Plus, "cuffs and collars don't match", so to speak, the problem being that the collar is not attached to the rest of the greatcoat--they are on the same bmp pic, but are separate and attach to the model in-game),

These could only be used November--March, or whenever the game allows you the greatcoat option. I have more work to do on the faces...work the skin tones and add beards, work on the turban, etc.

Another issue is that being part of the Free French Forces, these troops were essentially armed and kitted-out along US lines, so they should have US light and heavy weapons. They did have a mish-mash of rifles--Springfields until about mid-1944, as well as French rifles and even German Mausers. But the thing is, since I first saw a picture of some Goumiers in Italy years and years ago, they have to be wearing the tin hat (which I used to think was Brit issue, but apparently simply old US per/early war tin pots). It's just iconic to me. So that means until I teach myself how to work a hex editor, so I can point the Brit tin pot to US soldier models, these guys will have to be kitted out in Brit regalia.

Comments, suggestions are welcome!

a13d8d0f-3db1-4f5f-87fd-1daa5c67000b.jpg

5de0e23c-0599-499c-8223-613ed734d758.jpg

671b529b-2466-4d6c-8e1c-d48ce6dba15a.jpg

Good idea, thanks to include the CEF in your modding plan, forgotten by BFC team, 2e division d'infanterie marocaine (2e DIM) & 4e division marocaine de montagne (4e DMM), were on the Gustav line (operation Diadem) & le 4e régiment de spahis marocains (4e RSM) 3eme DIA on Castelforte(Garigliano battle)!

Actually, Para, I did these last Saturday and a little more yesterday. I taught myself a whole lot about PaintShop muddling around with my attempt at Winter mods, both uniforms and terrain, but GL mooted that, so then I figured I'd tackle my 2 favorite unit types in Italy, these and FJs. hope you like em.

Very good. The tribal colours and beards look like the pictures I've seen. Other modding additions could be bare sandal feet, I read about how sure footed they were in spite of their sandals. And some were in French WW1 helmets, but that would be beyond the file arrangements of this game. So dough boy helmets work as well.

Hi nik, yeah, I'm looking into sandals, and gonna try to make the turban area covering

the sides and back of the head larger. Maybe scarves. A poilu helmet would be nice, but not until BFC adds early war French. I have scads of different colored djeballas, but pics and sources lead me to believe most were browns, dark browns and black. Apparently goums (company-sized groups) and tabors (battalions, IIRC) were based along tribal lines...but hey, you guys are going to get mixed colors, because that's they way I like to see them!

Actually, Para, I did these last Saturday and a little more yesterday. I taught myself a whole lot about PaintShop muddling around with my attempt at Winter mods, both uniforms and terrain, but GL mooted that, so then I figured I'd tackle my 2 favorite unit types in Italy, these and FJs. hope you like em.

Well you have done an excellent job and i shall be grabbing em

• 1 month later...

Looking good.

Are these wiki links legit? Curious, so I know what to think about these guys.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goumier#Reported_atrocities

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marocchinate

"Monte Cassino was captured by the Allies on May 18, 1944. The next night, thousands of Goumiers and other colonial troops scoured the slopes of the hills surrounding the town and the villages of Ciociaria (South Latium). Over 60,000 women, ranging in age from eleven to 86, suffered from violence, when village after village came under control of the Goumiers. Civilian men who tried to protect their wives and daughters were murdered without mercy. The number of men killed has been estimated at roughly 800.[3]

The mayor of Esperia, a comune in the Province of Frosinone, reported that in his town, 700 women out of 2,500 inhabitants were raped and that some had died as a result. According to some sources, more than 7,000 civilians, including children, were raped by Goumiers.[4]"

Sounds...rough...

Interestingly enough, the french version of the Wikipedia pages you cited gives a more balanced point of view on the subject.

For those interested (and able to read french !), I found a recent article (2007) published in a french contemporary history periodical by an italian historian. His goal is to present a synthesis of the current italian point of view on the subject :

http://www.cairn.info/revue-vingtieme-siecle-revue-d-histoire-2007-1-page-47.htm

He considers probable the figure of 12.000 women raped given by the Unione Donne Italiane.

English abstract :

During the Italian campaign, 1943 and 1944, the French expeditionary corps colonial troops were responsible for many acts of violence against the Italian civilian population. Theft, armed robbery, plunder, and especially rape were very frequent. At the beginning they were isolated acts committed by single individuals, and punished by the French or Anglo-American allied authorities. During the 1944 victorious summer offensive that made it possible to cross the Gustav line in the southern Lazio, the French troops garnered from their superiors a relative liberty of action, leading to rapes. During the 1950s, the Unione Donne Italiane counted about twelve thousand victims of sexual violence. This communist women’s organization tried to obtain compensation for these women victims of the French expeditionary corps. This sexual violence was apparently tolerated as a “disagreeable” consequence of the war habits of irregular corps such as Moroccan goumiers [soldiers from a goum, an auxiliary military body of native North Africans, under French officers’ authority]. They were also a clear message to Italians, particularly the men. The humiliation and sexual outrage against their wives served to reassert their status as the conquered during this conflict.

I missed this one! I too hope it's still under development...

Yup, finished turning boots into sandals, but still have a lot of putzing with getting the greatcoat neck and collar to look more like a folded back hood and simple neck opening. I've been sidetracked on RL and some small interim projects for Broadsword and kohlenklau. I should be back at it this weekend.

Glad there's some interest in this.:)