Big Tournament

OK, here are some notes to make things clear.

4) That means the minimum turns you have to play. 130 for single matches, 105 for mirror matches. When playing 1 turn a day (as minimum) you will playing 130 or 105 days. BUT you could and should play till the end.

Example: I lost my match against Isnogud after 132 turns. At turn 130 I still occupy Manila (and were theoretically the winner) but due to the fact that we could play some weeks till Decembre I could not finished my match and have to play on!! That is no option that is a must!. So I surrender cause he dominated me and I have no chance to fulfil the victory conditions at the end of the group phase in Decembre.

5) Minimum 1 turn a day but maybe more should be played (averaging)

6) When playing a single match you must play 130 turns minimum or more. If you play a mirrored match you must play 105 turns minimum or more.

You are right "It might be helpful to give an end date of second round." but I don't know the date yet cause group phase have not ended yet. I will set a date when the last match has started. That means all players who started early maybe now has more time and the opponents must play more than 130 turns. That will lead to better results (I hope).

Sorry for confusion! Cannot edit my reply with the rules. So take this information as a commentary/appendix

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one observation after thinking these new rules through. 130 turns takes the game up to the autumn of 1944. A good axis player will be guaranteed to hang on to those major cities at that point. The ones under most threat will be Paris and Rome, but with the bigger maps and fortifications these two can easily be defended up until autumn 1944. The pacific cities are under little threat by autumn 1944.

If I was axis, and desperate to win, I slow my turn rate down so that 130 turns finishes on day 130 and I hold all the cities. There is no incentive to play beyond turn 130 because if I do I will probably lose Paris or Rome by 1946 and then lose the game. In other words to play fast as axis increases the chances of losing.

I am guaranteed the win if I play slow.

Surely this is a problem?

The only solution I can think of is to make it a rule that all games from round 2 onwards must be mirror. Then if one player plays slow as axis he is also playing slow as allies and damaging his allied chances. This ought to remove the attraction of slow play. And as round 2 is just 1 player v 1 player a mirror match should be possible.

Yes, that is why I recommended mirrored matches.

Another thing we may rethink is game speed. Most of you players played about 1 turn each in group phase what is 2 turns a day. Others are slightly behind that. In fact we could play much faster and I just wait for the last couples to reconsider this. Maybe up to 1 1/2 turns a day or more (for semi or final). Or next round (Last 12) if all players are fine.

Anyway, any match that starts now could easily played till 1945.

And I wanna take in mind "Fair Play". The only way to slow down the match is starting late and stoically make 1 turn in 2 days. I am hoping nobody do that.

I think Axis wins are very possible, but they have to be done right. Germany can't afford to take heavy losses prior to Barbarossa, particularly on tanks, otherwise they spend too much rebuilding/reinforcing tanks to get enough units out to take on the USSR. The Allies have a tactic Steel used against me effectively, and I used against nickerson effectively, of using British Aircraft Carriers to launch strikes against German tanks invading France. It does cost the AC a lot of planes, but it slows the Germans down terribly, and if the Allies are lucky, they can destroy a tank division or two (this is what really killed me in my game vs Steel). In hindsight, I should've just invaded France in October or November of 1939. There's no reason not to, and in fact it's somewhat better to do this since the weather prevents Britain from deploying their AC in this fashion. This would also give the Germans a chance to wrap up France in time to launch an early Barbarossa, which may be key.

I also have a theory (untested) that the Axis could better their odds by simply keeping Polish territory and going immediately on the offensive against Soviet Union in 1939 in conjunction with Japan. That's probably risky, but with a pretty good technological advantage in 1939, I think it might work.

It is interesting to see British carrier aircraft being used apparently very effectively in an anti-tank role in 1940. I do not recollect them ever having much success in ground attack throughout WW2 but they have the same underlying anti-tank ctv's as a German tactical bomber which is I guess intended to represent a Stuka. In fact if the wind was blowing hard in the wrong direction the Swordfish might have been hard pushed to catch up with a light tank driving into the wind along an open road let alone hit it wirh a bomb!

Regards

Mike

Tournament News

Group A: Isnogud beats OCB in a mirror match

Isnogud will be on first place in this group. One match still in progress here.

Group E: steel32 (Axis) beats tman (Allie) and will play in the Play Offs.

Congrats guys.

8 wins to Allies, 8 wins to Axis.

Tourny%202013-11-01.png

Tournament News

Group F: Maybe the closest bracket in tournament and I hope as same fun for the guys. Anyway, Gary just sent me an update. Still no results but turn 80, 109 and turn 120 means they are all on time. Turn 80 could be a bit more ;) but I am satisfied all in all.

Tournament News

Group B: Clausewitz beats Catacol Highlander in a very close mirror match

Group B is ready for the Play Offs. Two brackets are still in progress.

About the time issue we talked about some time ago I will ask all players if there is a possible result on current score line when the next group is finishing!!

11 wins to Allies, still 8 wins to Axis.

• 3 weeks later...

Nickerson quit sending me turns at least 3 weeks ago, and the game was progressing at a snail's pace (1 turn a week or so) prior to that. I think it's safe to assume that game is dead. Steelman won his game vs me and the one vs T-man, I'm assuming T-Man had Nickerson disappear on his game as well.

I've offered to Amadeus to forfeit my position and let Steelman/T-Man face off for our bracket, but I'm not sure where that offer stands.

Today, 2013-12-12 we finished the Group phase.

Group F was the closest bracket we played I guess. But finally we have a result. Please watch. Sorry to Sandy, he played really well. But both John and Gary have been playing at a very high standard!!

The Play Offs are all started now/soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Tournament News:

Isnogud vs. GaryK > About Turn 50 (Late June 41) in a Mirror Match

Clausewitz vs. Tman > About Turn 90 (Early 1943) in a Mirror Match

steel32 vs. C. Highlander > About Turn 50 (Late June 41) in a Mirror Match

Fritz vs. Teamgene > About Turn 20 (May 1940) in one single match, Gene playing Axis