AAR - Wittmann's Demise - The German Perspective

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The armor game can turn so quickly. Bad luck having your Tigers matched against the Firefly. Imagine if they'd been over on the other side? Yeah, hindsight, etc.

Obviously, you need to SLOW a sufficiently dedicated tank-hunter team across the map to engage the enemy's tanks. 4 PF should do...

Wow Ken. That is pretty tame advice coming from You.

The Tenth Minute

Artillery started to fall on the objective this turn.. unfortunately it was off target slightly.

9019927369_2a2ed77bfc_b.jpg

I pushed one of my Pz-IVs forward on the center road.. they got a quick spot, opened fire... and missed...

...seconds later the Pz-IV was hit and destroyed... damn.

9022155058_59ed4ba107_b.jpg

I didn't want to do this, especially this early but I think I need some Tigers... I am sending a section forward, including Wittmann (the foremost Tiger). Maybe this will help me break Warren's line....

9019927397_c1ed3393bd_b.jpg

The Fourteenth Minute

Skipping several turns as they were just filled with tank sniping that had no effect and maneuver... in this turn one of the three Jpz-IV's I have on the center road fires on a Sherman V in the treeline..

9023523475_cb768d8e0d_b.jpg

Another penetration.. however again this tank seems fine as it fired back (and thankfully missed), then started to reverse out of the line.

9023523497_d66ab873cb_b.jpg

This is an all too common sight.. a Sherman in a very good position sniping at my armor. They are getting several hits, but my Jpz's seem to be shrugging them off.. I'm glad none of these are the Firefly...

9023523503_66797be365_b.jpg

In this view you can see that Warren has his Sherman Platoon lined up very neatly... his Firefly is way out on the left end of this platoon.. which is good for me as my advance should be mostly obscured from its view.

My Tigers are still making their way forward.

Note that there are a couple more contacts on the left end of Warren's line... perhaps there is a second tank platoon setup behind this one? Well I expected that, however these appear to be keeping an eye on the main road where I lost my first two Tigers.

9023523519_807fd01f71_b.jpg

Thanks for playing Jack, you are on the board for guessing four. Anybody else? ;)

Well I've managed successfully - against the AI to lose all the Tigers. However I reckon your tactical nounce is better than mine so I'll say two :) These Fireflies are deadly.

I'm in for three. What's the buy in? Like George above, I managed to lose all of mine, but hey, you have the experience so lets see how it goes. The real question is, "does Wittman survive?" and the caveat, "in a functional Tiger or not?"

The Fifteenth Minute

This turn opens with one of my Jpz's exchanging shots with a Sherman V.. the difference was that mine did some damage.

Top image, the first shot to hit (bounced, did not penetrate) caused Warren's tank to button and withdraw off the line.

Bottom image, my second hit got a partial penetration, but didn't kill this tank. It must be hurting though.

9034986580_fbac64815b_b.jpg

Also on the line another Sherman was hit and penetrated by the other Jpz on the center road. This time it was knocked out. So the situation on this sector is starting to change dramatically.

9034986712_8351c8ddb6_b.jpg

German Situation

You can see that my Tigers are now in position, one is engaging a Sherman on Warren's line.. all appear to be masked from Warren's Firefly. The best way to combat those things is to not let them see you. ;) I want Warren to have to reposition that Firefly in order to get a good firing solution.. that should make him vulnerable.

Note the two-tank Jpz team on the center road.. these are the tanks doing most of the damage right now. The third Jpz has driven off the road in reaction to several hits, the Pz-IVs are being kept well back in a supporting role for now, off screen at the bottom a second Pz-IV is moving up behind the Tigers.

9032763885_96e8a2859d_b.jpg

British Situation

Not so rosy from the British perspective... Warren has now lost the center of his line.. one tank destroyed and two possibly wounded and off the line. That leaves him with one tank on the extreme right (Sherman V) and one on his extreme left (Firefly). With my Tigers coming on line I think it's time he evacuated this position and moved to his second line.

My goal is to stop him from extricating himself... best case would be his entire tank platoon smoking behind those trees. Hopefully he left it too long to be able to get them away.

9032763957_22e1ed0c8f_b.jpg