Numbers of Units for major countries

Would it be possible to post the editor "unit build" screen for each of the major countries? I am interested to see how AOD has adapted the number of units to match the larger scale map - I would expect there to be at least double for land units as compared with standard Gold scenarios so that continuous fronts can be maintained. This would mean fewer army sized units and more corps and divisional ones.

I realise that the OOBs might still be being adjusted to fine tune the balance but having some idea of the numbers and break down of unit types would be interesting.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

I think we are pretty close on our end and hopefully not much longer to wait so you'll definitely get the chance to see it all first hand.

I can say that we tried to match the initial MPP incomes and costs from the previous Global GOLD map, as it made things easier to design instead of having to go completely from the ground up, but naturally because the map is bigger we did add more unit builds and at start units as would be needed but it wasn't always a simple case of just double the units.

I think you'll get a better idea once you see the map and can play the turns yourself and even the Official AAR should help paint a better picture.

What we were shooting for was a natural growth in units and incomes as the game progresses as the larger map allows for eventually higher MPPs due to the extra resources and it seemed to have worked out quite well :)

Hubert

Hi Hubert

When I was calculating the units for my own scenario, where I created divisions instead of having SF units, I worked very roughly on the basis of 3 infantry divisions per corps and 2 corps per army so within the historic OOB you could effectively trade 1 x army for 6 x division and this played into my pricing per unit.

I came to the conclusion that it would only work for CTVs if I gave armies two strikes otherwise the value for money in purchasing an army versus 6 Divisions was too hard to make balance. I know you have not done 2 x strikes for an army in AOD or AOC so it is probably too late to think about that now (maybe SC3) but it does work quite well and gives a good reason/benefit for players having armies as a unit type as well as corps and divisions.

Ideally with bigger scale maps and units ranging from divisions up to armies it would be neat if the armies could be converted into corps and corps into divisions within the game by the player if the front to be held required that. I guess I am influenced by the old Gary Grigsby game Second Front/War in Russia where corps sized units could be spawned out of divisions located in HQs. That was probably the wargame that got me really hooked on military sims and one of my all time favourites. Interestingly his sequel Western Front was less good as the focus on corps sized units did not seem to work as well and certainly the developments that have come from Strategic Command seem to show that SC was a better base from which to evolve variants to cover more WW2 theatres.

Regards

Mike

This is a very good synopsis for SC3 consideration. Not only does a breakdown/combination feature work for enhanced combined arms characteristics but it also facilitates movements of units and helps with the tedium of scenarios with large unit deployments.

I would also to like SC3 development to consider this combination/breakdown feature for naval units as there is a great deal of monotony selecting and moving hords of naval units across vast stretches of ocean. Air units don't see as much movement, so I'm OK with their present attributes.