BUGS :CMFI and CMGL

Early HEAT could have very unpredictable results. Any irregularity on the target could disrupt the round. A light bracket, a spare bedroll, tools, etc.

That's not an exoneration of the modelling: it is a possible explanation.

Ken

Early HEAT could have very unpredictable results. Any irregularity on the target could disrupt the round. A light bracket, a spare bedroll, tools, etc.

That's not an exoneration of the modelling: it is a possible explanation.

Ken

Are things hanging off vehicles modelled in the programme?

Stuff hanging off the side of the vehicles (like bread bags, helmets, etc) aren't explicitly simulated, no. Hits to things like brackets and skirt armor, however, is explicitly simulated. Beyond that, the ballistics modeling does take into consideration a host of variables which can make any hit more (yes, more!) or less effective than it should theoretically be.

Steve

Steve,

That's very cool that brackets, lifting eyes, headlight protectors and such can mess up HEAT projectiles. Back in my military analyst days, I got to see a classified assessment of tank damage during the 1967 War. Time and again, sure kills were either badly degraded or outright stopped via either jet disruption or crushing the HEAT projectile's body as a result of encountering exactly these sorts of obstacles. The examples I saw were for high velocity 105mm HEAT fired by the Israelis.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 2 months later...