Time for an Ardennes/Bulge mod? ;)

Hi,

When Gustav Line is out may be time for an Ardennes mod?

Sadly it’s beyond my capabilities so just a thought. But the raw material to move CMX2 to the Ardennes will be there with Gustav.

Just a bit of friendly lobbying. All have our favourite settings ;).

We are lucky to have CM... :),

All the best,

Kip.

You are what they call an "idea man".

Nothing wrong with that.

My fondest CM memories are of using CMAK to make Ardennes-ish scenarios, operations and campaigns. Someone, sorry I forget the name, did the uniforms with gloves. Scarves and toques around the necks I think I recall. Both US and Axis. You can really get immersive, snow on the ground, foggy, cold weather, set it to dusk. A heavy kampfgruppe comes rolling down the road....

You could, but I plan to wait for the Market-Garden module that will bring the winter seasons, etc., to CMBN. Then at least the buildings would look right, and (I hope hope hope) we'll have VG units. Those VG units made up a lot of the Germans in the Bulge, and they had those MP44 assault rifles too. Really need them to make the Bulge feel like the Bulge IMHO.

I joked elsewhere if the Bulge title is the second coming then Gustav Line would be St. John the Baptist. You'll be able to do a reasonable approximation within limits. No Tiger II, no Hetzer, no M36 TD, no Jumbo, not even 76mm gunned Shermans. But you'll have infantry in the snow, which gets you halfway there.

Oh, and nothing is 'beyond your capabilities'. I bet you could eventually wind up being the best 3rd party scenario designer this this game has seen!

One last thing. Market Garden ends in the end of September. So not even any autumn leaves. :)

Argh -- BFC has said that the next level of CMBN would bring it up to the same capabilities as GL. I took that to mean it would have settable seasons and allow for winter even though MG itself ended in the fall. If not, then GL is our only way to approximate the Bulge until the real Bulge title comes out someday.

Will CMFI GL have date range in the scenario editor up to the end of the war?

Or is there another CMFI module coming out after GL?

So couldn't/wouldn't we get some MP44 in the infantry squads?

I get confused.

Oh, wait, I see now

"The Gustav Line module depicts July 9, 1943 to June 4, 1944. That's almost a year of combat through all four seasons! Snowy weather is here, as well as dynamic spring, summer, autumn, and winter terrain changes based on the date."

I thought snow of winter 44-45 but it is snow of winter of 43-44....

I know Ardennes Offensive isn't just about high glamour KG Peiper and the north shoulder but GL module didn't yet bring in the Waffen-$$. I am scratching my head and have to consult a book but I thought W-SS fought at some stage of Anzio, a small unit?

There was a SS small unit, among about three dozen other small unique units throughout the various nations. :D We had to draw the line at some point and stop adding new stuff, as the module's formations and equipment was already bursting at the seams.

So it looks like the biggest obstacle to doing Bulge battles using CMFI/GL would be OOB related (no SS, no VG or their weaponry). There's so much goodness just in GL and CMBN anyway that I'll most likely wait to see what Market Garden brings and leave the Bulge for some future time.

(But I will eventually return to my Tunisia scenario "Flanking the Fortress" to finish it now that we have GL and the improvements it brings. Snake Eye's excellent AI contribution deserves to see the light of day.)

...(But I will eventually return to my Tunisia scenario "Flanking the Fortress" to finish it now that we have GL and the improvements it brings. Snake Eye's excellent AI contribution deserves to see the light of day.)

Looking forward to this. Will it have AI for the Allied side?

I am also looking forward to other parts of North Africa. That thread about a El Alamein mod sounds interesting, hopefully that takes off at some point.

@broadsword56

Speaking of it, I agree that with GL "Flanking the Fortress" might be different from what it was during the preceding testing.

I shall give it a try in the next days and see how much it might differ.

That excellent scenario deserves to be release.

Let you know

Cheer