Squares or hexes

First, Hubert used hexes, then he changed them for squares.

For me, the squares were getting used in the beginning.

But now I'm good, very well with it.

Now I read that Hubert is planning to re-use hexes.

Why this change?

What are the differences and the advantages and drawbacks whether you're used squares or hexes?

Hexes look a million times better. I still think Strategic Command 1 was the absolute best looking SC game. In addition, the isometric view is hideous and often contributes to map distortions.

One pro for hexes is the map moving. If you watch moving on a hex map you always have the same way to reach any point. Doesn't matter if horizontal, vertical or diagonal. With squares and even in SC2 you have the problem view and real movement. When you uses real squares you don't move the same way in all directions. SC2 uses rectangles, better for moving but the map looks kind of bloated in overall view.

Another pro for hexes is that you always have a real face to the next tile. 6 times the same situation. Squares or tiles have 4 lines to adjacent zones and 4 points in a diagonal direction. That looks different and seems a bit unlogical cause how could the units fight when they have no real frontline.

A Con to hexes is the non straight movement of any unit on the map. At least for one direction. If you move straight in vertical direction then you move sinuously in horizontal direction. Looks not that consistently and the handling has to be adjusted for the user.

Hi all... new to this series, but definitely not new to BF. Looking forward to getting this game figured out, at least to a point where I feel competitive against the AI. Now, on topic...

A Con to hexes is the non straight movement of any unit on the map. At least for one direction. If you move straight in vertical direction then you move sinuously in horizontal direction. Looks not that consistently and the handling has to be adjusted for the user.

Another disadvantage to hexes is that movement can only be in six directions. From the little I've learned about the game so far, it seems that movement and attack can occur along the diagonals, for a total of 8 directions. Coming from an old boardgame background, hexes do look better IMO, but, unlike hexes, octagons don't play well together ;)