At The Front In North Africa (1943) - colour footage

Whilst not exactly CMFI it's close and has some good combat footage that I've not seen before.

Tank combat around 36th minute AT guns vs Pz3's I think. Never seen this before.

Otherwise lots of M3's, half tracks and the like.

Also LW raids from about the 6th minute with Me210's and Stuka's at low level. Some other birds as well but harder to id. Spits and P38's too. More at 23-28 minute. Low Ju88s, 210 again I think and 109 by the looks. Some DC3's as well.

At The Front In North Africa (1943)

-F

Whilst not exactly CMFI it's close and has some good combat footage that I've not seen before.

Tank combat around 36th minute AT guns vs Pz3's I think. Never seen this before.

Otherwise lots of M3's, half tracks and the like.

Also LW raids from about the 6th minute with Me210's and Stuka's at low level. Some other birds as well but harder to id. Spits and P38's too. More at 23-28 minute. Low Ju88s, 210 again I think and 109 by the looks. Some DC3's as well.

At The Front In North Africa (1943)

-F

Thx for sharing, the tank battle at 36 min was with MK IV tanks. And the planes sure looked like Me 210's ...but not quite sure. Quite a good vid to watch.

Me-210s? Are you sure? Not many were built I don't believe and I have not previously heard of any in NA, although there were plenty 110s.

Michael

Yeah pretty sure. Too early for 410's and they don't have the twin tail of a 110. Another sign is nose is shorter than the engines. Is the other way around on a 110.

Just to back me up here's a quote from the Me-210 wiki page

Deliveries to front-line units started in April 1942 and the plane proved to be even less popular with pilots. Production was stopped at the end of the month, by which time only 90 had been delivered. Another 320 partially completed models were placed in storage. In its place the Bf 110 was put back into production. Although the Bf 110 was now equipped with the newer DB 605B engines and greater firepower, it was still an outdated design.

The Luftwaffe started receiving their Hungarian-built planes in April 1943, and the Hungarians in 1944; when they entered service they were more than happy with them. Production ended in March 1944, when the factory switched over to produce the BF 109G. By that time, a total of 267 Me 210C had been built, 108 of which had been given to the Luftwaffe. They operated mostly in Tunisia and Sardinia, and were quickly replaced by the Me 410.

Edit - I'm reading 410's started entering service Jan '43, bit earlier than I thought. But the film says it's from Nov/Dec 42 so I'll stand by my original ID.

Anywhoo enjoy the vid.

:)

That cameraman had a superb vantage point on the hill to film those PzIV's and 88's in action.

They are a bit blobby. At first I wondered if he had a poor quality telephoto lens or they had "blown up" a part of the frame to see the detail. But, I suspect that color film at that time was simply very grainy and the emulsion has leached.

Listen to the 88s (probably actually 88s) around minute 36-37. Lost of dust picked up, too. These things are... powerful.

In that open terrain I would probably not like to cruise around in an Allied tank while this is going on.

Unlikely the sound is original, or at the least, the sound was probably not recorded by the cameraman. Front-line cameramen in WWII usually shot MOS, and sound was edited in later from stock audio. There is some chance, though, that the sound is capture from an accompanying audio tech who recorded in the same general vicinity.

They are a bit blobby. At first I wondered if he had a poor quality telephoto lens or they had "blown up" a part of the frame to see the detail. But, I suspect that color film at that time was simply very grainy and the emulsion has leached.

In addition, it's undoubtedly 16mm film transferred to 35mm back in the States. This causes substantial detail loss (and 16mm film isn't the most detailed medium to start with).

Sound is not original, as the image of the shell impacts and guns firing coincides exactly with the sound, there would be a delay surely?

The 88 might be powerful, but very vulnerable to artillery fire, fancy trundling along in an Sdkfz 7 and spend 10 minutes limbering it up, under fire!

Sound is not original, as the image of the shell impacts and guns firing coincides exactly with the sound, there would be a delay surely?

The 88 might be powerful, but very vulnerable to artillery fire, fancy trundling along in an Sdkfz 7 and spend 10 minutes limbering it up, under fire!

They might have adjusted the delay when, as said earlier, they mixed the video and the separately taken audio. There is a guy who's job it is to put them together and why would he put in realistic delay?

The sounds are overall consistent with what you see and they didn't have very sophisticated sound editing back then. I rate it as kosher.

Am 99% certain they did not have the technology for handheld cameras to sync with separate sound recorders back then. (Remember the clapperboard for the big incredibly heavy studio cameras?)

Right, so even if the camera and the recorder are in the same place you'd have to sync it.

And sync dude will sync visually and not take "realistic" delay into account.

Which BTW our game doesn't do either - there is no realistic delay from a gun firing to the viewpoint of the observer :)