Macisle's Map - Axis AAR - *** Here be SPOILERS ***

Ok, Macisle went to all the trouble to make a really good looking map and has asked people to have a go and report back. So here goes :)

I've been out of gaming for a while so I'm a bit rusty, thus you probably wont see a heroic defence - it may well be a crushed-in-short-order defence!

I've also never done one of these AAR thingys before either, so there are not likely to be GAJ/Bil/NormalDude level graphics.

Feel free to demand different pics if I'm not giving an adequate view though - I'll try not to ignore all requests the way I'm sure I'll have to ignore the Peanut Gallery comments ( except c3k's advice, which I shall hasten to carry out of course ;) ).

The scene : OKH have informed us that vast unkempt hordes of Yankees are coming up the road fresh off the beach ... then they gave us 3 platoons to hold them off.

So we have 1 company ( HQ + pzjager team + 3 platoons with 2 shrecks ea ).

2 LMG teams and 2 scout teams + 1 sniper.

1 FO, 2 x 81mm and 1 x 120mm offboard mortar batteries.

a bunch of TRP's, some wire and some mixed mines.

1 Pak38 50mm ATG.

Normally I'd set up a thin-ish front defence line with a thicker line behind it. Here I don't seem to have enough men to set up a line at all, so I'm deployed in a scattered manner - this is also due to my quite reasonable fear of masses of American artillery.

I'm hoping to be able to move men to reinforce areas where my opponent ( Undercovergeek ) is seen to be pushing in strength. Of course, if he has enough strength to push in strength everywhere, this will be a very short battle, but at least you'll have all seen the map in use :)

I've only just deployed, so the initial pictures are covered in the horrific setup-zone colour, but hopefully you can see the general idea.

Let the relentless mockery and second-guessery begin !

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the middle showing the Victory Locations.

Unfortunately for my cunning plan to allow the enemy to take at least the first couple while whittling him away, the values of the VL's closest to the front are highest.

eg. N Crossroads Upper is 225 and S Crossroads Lower is 100 and so forth.

So I'm going to have to make an effort to defend all of them.

Those cunning swine at headquarters !

aar003vls.jpg

You can see that I've deployed the Pak on the extreme left, covering a kind of gully that I feel will be irrisistable to the enemy.

There weren't a lot of places on the map with LOS over 150m so it was tough deciding where to put it. The right flank looks more likely, but most of the fields are of the "highest in the middle" type, so it was tough to get useful LOS.

I've got a shreck(s) on that flank to keep him honest, but I'm hoping he thinks it's too inviting and will therefore imagine I've got that area thick with AT assets.

Naturally if he's got multiple Rhinos, my plan falls flat and they'll be in Caen before we can whistle.

Most of the mines are near TRP's and/or edges of wire and/or bocage gaps - since I've yet to see Mixed Mines do more than track damage to tanks, I decided to regard them as primarily Anti-Personnel.

For folks with V1/1.2 who are scratching their heads, Baneman is playing V2.0. That's not up at the Repository. It has a rebalancing of forces to help the defender a bit and is in testing. It will likely replace V1.2 when testing is done.

Good luck, Baneman.

And, thanks for doing the AAR!

(If anyone wants a copy of V2.0 to help test it, send me a PM with your email address and I'll email a copy to you. But the scenario really calls for playing blind with regards to your opponent's forces. So, if you do want to test and have read down to this point in this thread, you'd want to be Axis and stop reading this AAR until after you finish your game. Thanks!)

...Oh, BTW, forgot to mention this is being played on Elite. ( I find Iron just a pain )

Excellent. I think Elite is the standard for folks who have learned the game, though some still prefer Warrior.

Iron is a cool setting for those that like it, but I feel the same way about it for my own play.

I've never played on anything other than Elite.

A bird's eye of the overall setup might be good.

I haven't seen the icon set you're using before. If I'm identifiying the TRP marker correctly, that's two used on the left side of the map and none on the right. You've got a lot more than that available, so why none on the right (unless I'm just missing them)?

FYI Baneman - it would have been OKW ;)

OKH would only have been Eastern Front.

Hehe, good to know, cheers.

That's probably why they're so out of touch with the situation I have here ! ;)

Mac - I'm using Aris' Crystal Icons - it seems TRP's and Foxholes share the same one called "Defensive". There are 5 TRP's visible in the left pic and 3 on the right ( I should probably have divided them evenly, but after a while your brain shorts out from the deployment work - you think it's all done brilliantly then you look at it later and wonder "why on earth did I do that ?" :) )

The first turn passed uneventfully, to the sounds of summer, buzzing flies and far in the distance, the Luftwaffe running away.

Second turn we hear engines, but can't yet distinguish tank from armoured car. Then a couple of infantry ran into the view of my lone picket - lo and behold to everyone's surprise ( including his own ), a snapshot with his rifle drops an enemy soldier at over 100m (pictured).

A few seconds later another squad is seen moving up to the hedgeline.

My picket has orders to fire off another round or two ( 20 second pause ) then get out of Dodge. Hopefully the enemy will waste time and ammo on his position - which, as you can see, has been "prepared" for enemy occupation :D

The position shown is just on the right side of the Centre road.

aar004firstcontact.jpg

Baneman,

Thanks for doing this AAR. By the way, I am on one of your flanks in an amazingly exactly the same village ;-) also defending against a Canadian attack but of course as a QB.

My first CM PBEM battle. One week in real time and we're only on the 3rd or 4th turn. Real different vs playing AI, Way sloooower game progress but much more riveting as you well know. Alas, my lone picket didn't score yet.

I will be watching your progress, if you're part of the front collapses, we are bugging out!

The CM forums have hit a pre-release dead cycle. It seems to happen every time a release is "close" but still an undetermined number of days/weeks away.

Hopefully, a nice peanut gallery will emerge once you start posting regular turns. We need to send out a guy with a scar on his face and long black leather coat to tell your opponent not to leave town again until your game is finished.

BTW, that was a lucky first kill by your picket man. That might make your opponent think you've got more force there than you have--or perhaps a sniper unit.

Either way, I'm sure you've caught his attention.