ALLIED : Gustav Line BETA AAR Round Two - Eye of the Elefant

I would just back it up into position when you want to use it and fire to the rear. I think how you have it shown is going to lead into problems.

That was how it was in the old version with some of the HT mounted guns anyway.

Its not like you have better front armor on a HT anyway.

Plus you can see where you are going when its time to get the Hell out of there.

And part two 700+m is not in range for a sniper in CM, they might fire, but its a waste of effort. The best ranges for them in the game is 300-400. They still have a chance to hit something and also can stay somewhat hidden if played well.

Even if it does fire forward, it still might be better to back into position.

If the crew panics, the last thing you need is having them do something stupid like turn the HT around while in the enemy line of sight.

So check how how they like to flee while doing your test. Never hurts to know what your units will likely do.

GreenAsJade,

The reason you're having trouble firing dead front is that here's a rail there intended to keep the Quad .50 from firing into the cab. Think of it as a hard stop blocking firing at ground targets on the same level as the M51. The rail extends from one side of the cab to the other, but doesn't interfere with the AFV's primary function, air defense. This is shown and discussed in the M16 link I previously provided. Precisely how BFC modeled that rail/gun interaction I can't say. Nor can I say whether or not it applies when firing at an elevated target.

As for the shots you're planning to take (with a Kodak Brownie camera, like my uncle used during the War, natch), I'd suggest reconsidering. Either that or get Patton over there to apply a honking command modifier, so the resulting images are pleasing.

Regards,

John Kettler

Those guys who were saying the shot is too long for the Sniper to take: you are right. In fact, he declined to try.

And... good news for me... he made it down away from Right Tit unscathed. Just in time, too, it seems, because something started putting MG fire into the location right where he was sitting! I got no contact at all about where that was coming from - just bullets whooshing into the grass around the sniper dudes as they bugged out.

This turn they are going to move over a bit further into the valley and perch on a rocky outcrop - close to the JgPz if it moves at all to expose the TC, and closer in general to anything nasty happening in that valley ... and away from the attack on Right Tit.

8665307384_4c285eb930_b.jpg

That attack, by the way, is apparently continuing by the sounds I hear, but I continue to have no contacts at all about what is happening. I thought I had better eyes to the road leading up to the Tits than this - LOS is such a fickle thing!

The only other interesting things I saw were that on my right flank, the KW driver jumped out, apparently to scout on foot:

8665306268_24c8bfbf69_b.jpg

I was impressed by how instantly he disappeared as soon as he crawled into the grass - it looks like that grass really is offering concealement as good as it appears.

On the left flank, the KW seems to be struggling with the terrain, moving very slowly:

8665306844_589c13a6cb_b.jpg

I decided to reverse the M16 (AAHT) around the other way, for obvious reasons, and am tweaking the waiting location of some rangers, though I really need a sighting to give me a better idea where Bil will go after the Tits...

GaJ

Any thoughts on what a quad 50 does to a kubelwagon?

I have not played with it yet, but I am sure it turns it into kubelwagon schnitzel, burnt on the well done side.

GaJ, For snipers I use 600m as max engage range. I know it sound short, but I have seen too many misses longer.

Any thoughts on what a quad 50 does to a kubelwagon?

Surely it becomes a Kubel Kolander!

No eyes on must be very frustrating, not like the good old CM 1 days, where the telepathic sharpshooter, well forward of the defences, would destroy any carefully coordinated attack using covered approaches.

Captain Wurtmann touches his hand to his forehead and gazes into the middle distance

"What's that Sgt Shaufenberger, ten T-34's and a two companies of infantry, moving behind the ridge 800m away, are forming up to attack the left flank'.

I

For snipers I use 600m as max engage range. I know it sound short, but I have seen too many misses longer.

I would still recommend under 400 if you are want kills, over that, it becomes more of just keeping their heads down.

Its been too long but I do recall testing it some and at 600 I recall getting a kill on targets in the open at about 1 in every 5 to 10 shots.

Where as under 400 the numbers get much better - it depends on what you are wanting.

8667088924_3a49f73435_b.jpg

GaJ - what's the ammo loadout for the M16? Can we get some idea of ROF?

About 5000 rounds, fired at about 15-20 rounds per second (they fire in bursts then pause then another burst).

8665987085_eae24d5408_b.jpg

FWIW, the rounds are shown in 2 rows, one showing how many are remaining in the current bunch of thousand, and the other showing how many more bunches of thousand are left.

Maybe they come in boxes of 1000. Or maybe the ammo counter can only show 3 digits ;)

GaJ