ALLIED : Gustav Line BETA AAR Round Two - Eye of the Elefant

Also stationed there is M51 Quad AA, which is the fast response to chase away infantry wherever they may be found. I don't have any experience with this unit (who does!?) to know if it might be useful against HTs that Bil might have... I guess I will find out: if it punches holes in planes, you'd think it would punch holes in HTs :)

.50 cals can deal nicely with German HTs. Four .50 cals will be four times better at it :)

Ok, so on with the battle ;)

This turn Bil's PzGrenadiers disembarked (dehalftracked?) at the houses enroute to the Tits. Clearly Bil is taking a careful measured approach to conquering these first VLs.

At the same time, heavy artillery continued to fall, but at a very slow rate. I was expeting carpet bombing, but it feels as if the mission is on "harrass". Bil must be saving those big ones for later, darn.

8659106351_e260065219_b.jpg

Meanwhile, I've now spotted the whole platoon of Pioneers being trucked in what appears to be the same direction. This is the HQ, I also have 3 trucks in sight.

8660207184_30d54c4359_b.jpg

I guess it's also possible they are heading over to the left flank. I have very little in the way of eyes on the back left, yet: both scouts are taking forever to sneak into the positions where they can see back there.

Meanwhile, the Right Tit snipers spotted a Brummbar in the closing seconds of the turn:

8659105393_ac30d361a6_b.jpg

It was so tempting to yell "open fire" at them, especially given their current life expectancy, however the LOS is just not quite good enough yet - they are on grey, and the tank is at extreme range for the rifle:

8660206924_38b5a80a8b_b.jpg

... so I'm going to wait out the next minute without giving them orders: see if

1) The tank gets closer

2) They choose to open fire themselves and

3) Whether they even survive another turn.

In terms of getting ready for the incoming force, I'm moving a couple of bazookas up into a small valley below the road line in their approach route, and preparing the AAHT.

I had thought that he would come up through the trees on the right of the ridgeline in a scenario like this, but thankfully I notice that this whole slope is riddled with LOS spots to Bil's back left setup zone. So the AAHT is popping over to the left and moving up.

8659106683_6b20b4097b_b.jpg

GaJ

Tits? Well, BF might have gone with 'man boobs'- to spare offense.

But not nearly as ear-burning as this Patton speech. That man had a potty mouth:

http://www.jacksjoint.com/patton.htm

Interesting speech. I bet Hitler would totally agree on what Patton said here:

We don't want yellow cowards in this Army. They should be killed off like rats. If not, they will go home after this war and breed more cowards. The brave men will breed more brave men. Kill off the Goddamned cowards and we will have a nation of brave men.

Looks a bit like Georgie-boy wanted to create some Ubermenschen himself!

GreenAsJade,

I had no idea what an M51 was, but it apparently was a field mod to create the equivalent on an M16 GMC. These vehicles are infantry eaters of the first order, as the Chinese attackers in the Korean War can attest. Those who survived, that is. The link discusses what such GMCs could do to infantry even in bocage cover. Since the Germans hated the .50 cal, there're really not going to like four firing at once! Barring unfavorable geometry, they'll also happily chew up 250/251 halftracks and ACs. After all, the .50 was at one time an antitank weapon. I've seen the War Department film.

http://www.antiaircraft.org/M16.htm

Of course, a 2cm Flakvierling would be awfully annoying going the other way! I read an account in which a single barrel 2 cm Flak gun caught a U.S. infantry platoon emerging from a woodline. Not only were direct casualties horrendous (men blown apart), but practically everyone took injuries from secondary missiles (tree chunks, branches raining down). The platoon was shredded, both figuratively and literally.

I shall be most interested to see how this all shakes out, given the (censored) force compositions on both sides. Any idea how the position size does or doesn't fit tactical doctrine of the period? In other words, is the frontage for your force reasonable?

Regards,

John Kettler