ALLIED : Gustav Line BETA AAR Round Two - Eye of the Elefant

Now that he has punctured your defense you have the opportunity to crush his flanks and surround him! Excellent...

Or, allow him to surround YOU. That way, all you need to do is aim outside the circle and you're eventually bound to hit someone!

;)

Ken

c3k,

The map would indicate that the latter is likely to happen and soon. As for fighting surrounded, may I refer you to Chesty Puller at the Chosin Reservoir?

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right,

they're in front of us, they're behind us.

They can't get away this time."

Regards,

John Kettler

Or, allow him to surround YOU.

Joking aside, in some senses this is what defending SMI has been about.

In the last hour of play, Bil has been working his way towards an assault on SMI. Inflicting damage as Bil approaches has been hard due to the wide range of expansive approach paths, and the failure of my plan to use Bunkers+ATGs to force some sort of engagement. None of the intermediate VLs has been particularly defensible, in the sense that a defending force placed there could have a hope of surviving or inflicting significant damage on an incoming force before dying (except Tame: that should have been defensible).

But now that Bil is focussed on one objective, I am "surrounded", which also means that I can actually meet his incoming force with more than just a stretched-thin set of listening posts.

The sheer compaction of my force actually means that at least they can work together, where before I failed to arrange that (allowing myself to be spread thin).

Sure, I'm surrounded by a massive incoming force, but at least my guys are surrounded together, not isolated from each other :)

GaJ

GreenAsJade,

"Killed another" by definition means you killed one earlier. Did I sleep through the press conference, or do you know something now about the known recipient of a bazooka round and a bloody close assault you didn't know before? And when and how did you apparently nail another Panzer IV/H? Anyone win a medal in the process?

Regards,

John Kettler

c3k,

If your play is anywhere nearly as forceful as your motivational exhortations, fighting you must be quite an experience. I have to note, though, unbridled aggressiveness didn't work well for the Confederates (see Attack and Die) in the latter part of the Civil War or for the French (offensive to the limit) in the early part of WW I. All the elan in the world won't save a force in the teeth of massed, interlocking fires from small arms and artillery. Bet you'd be a terror, though as the attacker in a proper blitzkrieg scenario.

Regards,

John Kettler

At last, the weekend!

With work dramas fading and a beer in hand, I can return to getting whupped at CM.

Movie 55, 0:16-0:15

With Bil's infantry about to crest a little rise on the way from Tame to SMI, it seemed timely to open fire with the AAHT at that likely location ... I wanted to do an area fire, because the AATH gunner was still distracted trying to rotate the gun through the driver protection stops - something an area fire order would cure.

9041205498_ca934f2a0d_b.jpg

Well - I don't know if it was due to the area fire, or going to happen anyhow, but one of Bil's PzIVh's creeping up through Tame spotted the AATH after it started firing, and blew it away.

9038985931_3e43314756_b.jpg

... which revealed him to my M10, who responded in kind...

9041207850_c5d44c6f36_b.jpg

It would have been nice to get more mileage out of the AAHT, but not a bad swap.

There is a second PzIVh that was driving up the main road of Tame next to the one I knocked out - it is obscured from my M10 by only a tiny rise in the road.

In the middle, there were a number of surprises. The first is that Bil has pulled his Elefant back across to the middle, and it is coming over the rise to the main road as this movie ends. Accompanying this surprise is the surprise that my crazy ATG completed deployment, and can see the Elefant!!

9039017677_e88349bbac_b.jpg

The trees are off in this picture, so that you can see what is going on. With trees turned on, I'm sure you can imagine that the view is actually very obscured - there are a few sets of branches in the way. Add to that the fact that the ATG ended up facing south, so it has 90 degrees to turn before it can shoot at the Elefant ... and the fact that the Elefant is unbuttoned and I can't do anything about that ... and we have another suspensful moment!

Over on Hill 153 Bil's Brummbar fired one HE shell at a building in SMI, then for some reason pulled right back. I'm not at all sure what it was worried about, I thought it had command of the whole field right where it was :) As you can see, I got a couple of smoke rounds onto the hill, which help to make this at least a little harder for it, for a short while.

9041272354_56ebcbf25b_b.jpg

Closer to SMI, Bil's infantry made another attempt at pushing past Hill 172, only to be repelled again. One squad that ran far fowards was taken out by my rangers, a second was taken down by my M10, which I pushed further left this turn, and a third ran away off to the far left.

Meanwhile, my tank crew survived shelling by the JgPz, and high-tailed it out of there towards the end of the turn... they have their eyes on SMI, nothing is getting in their wa.

9039076423_0551e2e201_b.jpg

Overall...

9041305670_dd73d211ee_b.jpg

GaJ

c3k,

If your play is anywhere nearly as forceful as your motivational exhortations, fighting you must be quite an experience. I have to note, though, unbridled aggressiveness didn't work well for the Confederates (see Attack and Die) in the latter part of the Civil War or for the French (offensive to the limit) in the early part of WW I. All the elan in the world won't save a force in the teeth of massed, interlocking fires from small arms and artillery. Bet you'd be a terror, though as the attacker in a proper blitzkrieg scenario.

Regards,

John Kettler

Well, I've got an AAR going in the Normandy forum, go check it if you want to see my style of play (more to be posted Monday). Otherwise, you should actually PLAY this game and find out. And yes, I'm posting this "for the encouragement of the others". (I'll allow someone more skilled than I to put it in its original French.)

Now, go away, or I shall taunt you a second time! ;)

Ken

c3k,

I play when I'm in the head space to do so, which, sadly, isn't often. Have had the time lately, but the requisite tactical analysis brain circuitry simply hasn't been switched on much. This is why I've been so active in posting.

I shall make it a point to read thine AAR, so that, when the time comes, I may visit devastation upon thee! But you'll have to get in line.

Regards,

John Kettler

GreenAsJade,

Yeah, get in line Ken - John has made so many enemies with his barrage of controversial postings you might have to bequeath your spot in the line to your grandchildren though ;):D:P

GaJ

Very funny! Thanks for a much-needed laugh! I was referring not to post-generated enemies (as opposed to enimies generated after the fact, for reasons unknown) but to those who graciously welcomed me to the CMBN fold and with whom I shall eventually clash on the sanguinary, bocage bounded fields of Normandy! While it's not quite the "flock of miracles all traveling the same direction at the same time," it's an unfortunate reality that my wargaming circuitry isn't on very often. Since I've been on enforced hiatus from an E-book writing project I'm trying to finish, this has frustrated me no end.

That said, you say you've scalped a Panzer? Where pray tell, is the gory trophy of mechanized war--or at least the pics of its demise? We readers of this thread are trying to be patient, but the delay in our gratification that you've drawn real, substantive Bil blood maketh us restive!

Regards,

John Kettler

GreenAsJade,

That said, you say you've scalped a Panzer? Where pray tell, is the gory trophy of mechanized war--or at least the pics of its demise? We readers of this thread are trying to be patient, but the delay in our gratification that you've drawn real, substantive Bil blood maketh us restive!

Regards,

John Kettler

On the previous page ;)

GaJ

Movie 56, 0:15-014

Short report this turn. Bil took out my ATG with mortar fire before it got to shoot at the Elefant. As I suspected, he must have spotted it with his forces that came over the Spur prematurely (from my point of view :) ).

He also fired another single Brummbar shot at SMI, this time from Tame. I adjusted the position of my M10 on that side of the map, as a precaution against mortar fire, and am again waiting for Bil to try to advance up from Tame.

On the left, my infantry at Hill 172 are continuing to push back at Bil's advance in that direction. One of my bunkers fire suppressing fire over onto Hill 153, allowing the HMG that was driven back from a foxhole there to survive another turn.

9045432673_ab01b78e37_b.jpg

And in the centre left, I got to unload some 81mm on a squad coming up the valley...

9047630666_14e77b42f6_b.jpg

GaJ

GreenAsJade,

I see you mention the kill directly in your #880 and provide an obviously missable pic in your #886. I don't understand why, after all the misery you've been through on the receiving end, you wouldn't proudly present a dramatic closeup pic covering the demise of your first major AFV victim? It's almost as though it's a throwaway event. Had I taken such a pounding and been able to hit back, hard, I think I would've been more exuberant.

Regards,

John Kettler