ALLIED : Gustav Line BETA AAR Round Two - Eye of the Elefant

Excuuuuuse me... the times that my men die is when they hear your voice wafting across the battlefield and get all over excited and follow it's commands! There I was yelling "no, no, no, come back" as that M10 rushed forwards, goaded by your foghorn like voice, to try to ping those PzIVhs... to the inevitable outcome.

As to creeping around like thieves: I haven't been doing any creeping at all... that's Bil's job. My guys sit still like snakes and get spotted, while his guys creep like thieves then call in cowardly HE to dispatch me...

GaJ

Aye, using armored HE chuckers is a bit cowardly. However, it the HE is big enough, it's okay. There IS a balance. As for your M10 dying, that's on YOU! Sure, they may've been goaded by me, but they were HELD BACK by you. They had inner turmoil. No warrior can be effective if they are internally conflicted. The heart must not fight itself. You were derelict in your pre-battle bonfire bonding rituals. A common mistake.

Movie 43, 0:28-0:27

Pretty much nothing of note happened this turn.

A bit of artillery fell on The Spur. Some forces moved up the right - clearly a large force will arrive in Tame soon. I have a HMG, AAHT, M10, mortar there to try to inflict some damage.

I can't tell, still, what's happening on the left. Either Bil is waiting behind The Spur till after his barrage, or he is sneaking like a thief up the very far left map edge, where I can't get eyes.

Let's see what happens next turn...

GaJ

Incidentally I know fanatics obey orders to the end but do lesser troops actually decide to react despite orders?

They certainly do. I've had plenty of infantry fire at targets outside their CA. However, I'd concur that some tuning to the "threat perception" of the TacAI could be profitable, since usually the fire outside CA has been at something "really" threatening, like a HMG team 200m away with the trigger-happy team in cover of Bocage, but not at something as "yawnworthy" as a single guy with an MP40 30m away across a field... :-/ [Editor's note: the preceding sentence might have included sarcasm.]

There is a chance that troops under direct fire from a spotted enemy outside a covered arc will disregard the order to return fire.

IME, they don't even have to have come under fire.

And re an AMBUSH command, currently it seems virtually impossible to create a good ambush if HIDE makes the unit essentially blind and deaf to an enemy unit - esp a vehicle just on the other side of a wall.

Ambushes are eminently buildable, as has been described in many previous threads. You just have to work with what you've got (and haven't got) and not pine for some imaginary perfection. There are some conditions which intuitively, IRL, it would seem feasible to set an ambush, which aren't amenable to that approach without player intervention in CM (popping up from behind a wall, f'rex), but it'd take someone with more actual experience of firefights to say whether the "advantage of surprise" is enough to outweigh the advantage of "already scanning the wall expecting someone to pop up" factor.

Wouldn't that be an interesting feature. You set your commands and watch the turn and then spot a team sitting behind a hedgerow not doing what they are supposed to be doing and the state in the UI says "Ignoring".

That's the spirit! Let's lobby BFC to include that, at least as an option.

:D

Michael

Movie 44, 0:27-0:26

This turn the spotting on The Spur failed to eventuate in a full barrage - maybe one or two spotting rounds fell again. It feels like earlier - a barrage being held off deliberately for timing reasons perhaps.

But interestingly, artillery also started falling this turn on Hill 153.

This confirms my suspicions that I'm suffering from an undetected sneak attack around the left flank. There are no targets on Hill 153 that Bil can have seen (as far as I can see!), so either he has more artillery than he knows what to do with, and is just dusting this VL off, or he has an attack not far away. My guys are still working their way back from the left of The Spur to Hill 153 to try to take a look there.

Meanwhile, in the middle, I am gradually pulling back to form a defensive position that will respond to either event (an attack from The Spur or Hill 153). An attack from both these directions would catch me in an awful kill zone, but it seems that Bil doesn't have that many forces to do this with - I think he needs to be chosing one or the other ... fingers crossed about that. I will get away as fast as I can from The Spur to lessen this risk.

(As I type this, I realise that he could also come over the centre road, for another direction of attack on this left centre valley .... all the more reason to get out of there quick!)

Speaking of the centre:

8877896808_41b0f1971d_b.jpg

Bil's infantry screen has appeared again, heading straight for my one remaining bazooka and his cover. The central HQ unit spotted them this turn, and obeyed their covered arc, didn't open fir.

The unit on the left will open fire (area fire) on these guys to try to disuade them from continuing onwards, hoping that they will call up their tank buddy to support them...

(Oh yeah - much earlier in the AAR I tried Movie Mode, and it didn't look workable on my machine. I tried it again just now, after reading other comments about it, and actually it isn't too bad).

On the right, the Elefant got a shot into the firing slot of the useless bunker. It only took out one guy ... I guess it was AP. No sign of the other infantry that are definitely in Tame somewhere...

GaJ

GreenAsJade,

If this is a wooden bunker, I'm surprised the face hits didn't go clear through all the walls. If it's concrete, the thing must practically be Siegfried Line tough (braces for GL rejoinder).

In any event, I'd say you caught a real break on that embrasure penetration. I almost missed the bunker attack story altogether. A screenshot, please?

Regards,

John Kettler

Actually, I checked to see if the shells stopped inside the bunker, and they did... they did not penetrate the rear wall.

It is a concrete bunker: there is a screenie of it some time back, because it is the one that the first M10 was next to when it died.

I wouldn't say I caught a real break, because the bunker has been basically useless. Not being able to spot the infantry in it's field of fire does tend to hamper its effectiveness...

GaJ

Um, that'd be me: I sited it. I thought it was quite a good place, at the outset. So did the rest of you peanuts, if I recall correctly. No-one was saying "what a dumb plan, what dumb siting", it looked like it had legs.

It is fair to say that it didn't have legs in the end though: that has now been proved, and my original plan defense comprehensively failed.

The defense rested on the premise that I could set up bunkers that would deny infantry access to the major approach routes, and that these would force armour into view that could be counter-attacked by M10s or taken out by sympathetically located ATGs.

It completely failed because

1) The ATGs were spotted before they opened fire

2) I lost the M10s before they scored hits

3) The bunkers failed to spot the infantry crossing their path

Now we're into rear guard action...

GaJ

The defense rested on the premise that I could set up bunkers that would deny infantry access to the major approach routes, and that these would force armour into view that could be counter-attacked by M10s or taken out by sympathetically located ATGs.

It completely failed because

1) The ATGs were spotted before they opened fire

2) I lost the M10s before they scored hits

3) The bunkers failed to spot the infantry crossing their path

Now we're into rear guard action...

GaJ

I'd be pissed, I'll tell you.

Your plan looked very nice to me, considering the forces you obtained. If only that eerie oneway-LOS-thingy had been a little different, it might have been a complete different battle.

BTW, before the AAR started I had wondered about just buying Shermans and use their speed in an all out, one flank oriented, assault. But that would require at least six or more Shermans (with their eyes open:cool:).

Can you tell me how many Shermans your points-total would have bought you?

Movie 45, 0:26-0:25

First, let me report an action that almost went to plan.

If you recall, I had one remaining defensive post in the centre right:

8888014263_802a317e77_b.jpg

It consists of an infantry squad to take out Bil's infantry screen, an HQ supervising, and a bazooka waiting to take down the tank that deals out reprisals to the infantry squad.

The inf squad had not actually spotted Bil's infantry screen at the end of last turn, so I ordered area fire. It was remarkably effective. This death was spotted by the HQ, not by the area firing guys...

8888952550_b5f70a8753_b.jpg

So, as predicted, Bil's inf screen was taken out and a tank responded by dealing death to my inf squad...

8888348693_0a6ccbabba_b.jpg