AXIS : Gustav Line BETA AAR Round Two - Eye of the Elefant

Thanks very much to both of you for these very detailed and interesting AARs. I especially the information about how you set waypoints, pauses etc. I've read a lot of military history, but I don't always know how to translate historical tactics into game mechanics.

The images you post are excellent. Absolutely brilliant. I followed the last battle you guys did, and I went back and read the Niscemi Highway AAR, which was also fascinating.

It's a beautiful map, too.

The Sixth Minute

I'm convinced now that GaJ is on the reverse slope now as my dismounts are very close... so I am pushing 1st Platoon all the way to the Left Tit while maintaining suppression fire with 3rd Platoon. As soon as they are ready I'll be going over the top.

8664804262_eacb747d1c_b.jpg

No doubt GaJ is on the reverse slope on the Right Tit as well.. so I have targeted briefly with my Sturmpanzer on my right. He is targeting the reverse slope of the right tit of course in order to suppress anything that might be there and keep them from interfering with the assault on the Left Tit.

8663703807_a7537929eb_b.jpg

I'd love a wargame to look like that..maybe in twenty years or so..

Oh and thanks for the Weyth reference..quite like his style, never heard of him before. Kandinsky is normally my thing.

The Seventh Minute

2nd Squad is very close to the top of the Left Tit, B Team is just over the ridge on the other side of the halftrack.

8664872565_267f4d67e8_b.jpg

This overview shows the next moves...

1st Platoon will assault over the top of the Left Tit

3rd Platoon (minus the 2d Squad) will assault over the top of the Right Tit

The Elefant will advance to a position where it can oversee most of the S-Ridge objective.

Not shown, my right side Sturmpanzer will place one round into the rear area of the Left Tit.

8664872561_effd22c80b_b.jpg

Detailed view showing the Elefant new position and also showing that it will be partially hull down and can overwatch a good portion of the S-Ridge.

Also the dismounted team from 2nd Platoon can now overwatch this same sector and I think as far as Hill 126.

8664872577_53d576747b_b.jpg

According to the well-documented site www.wwiivehicles.com the Ferdinand/Elefant carried 50 or 55 rounds, and the Brummbar carried 36 or 38 rounds. (Different sources = different ammo-load)

No rate of fire mentioned.

Yeah sorry I missed this question originally.. I'll take note of their ammo load outs next time I'm in the game.. but Seedorf81's numbers sounds correct.

As for rate of fire I know this.. the Elefant could reload and fire a second round in 10 seconds, and the Brummbar got one round off in it's 15 sec firing window (fire briefly), so perhaps 20 seconds for the Brummbar.. when I'm in a position to fire more than one round in a turn I'll take note of its rate of fire.

Nothing negative.. I'm just not a fan of Kandinsky and his ilk.. I have realist leanings and consider most modern art to be more decoration than art. ;)

Van Gogh of course I have much admiration for, his bold use of color and the brush have always awed me.

Back to the game.. any thoughts so far (no intel leaks please ;) )?

Vark, no that is t even a consideration at this point. I am simply placing it where I think it will be most useful and worrying for the enemy.

I love the height of the road versus the S Ridge. I would love to clear it (S Ridge) of any enemy influence. That would simplify matters considerably.

Bil,

Your long-trunked critter has lots of room in there to work that gun, thus, the amazing ROF. I suspect it's much better than that of a King Tiger. The link characterizes the interior of same as roomy for the period. Pic 4 discusses the ammo situation, cited as ~50 rounds.

http://panzerfaust.ca/AFV%20interiors/elefant.html

Regards,

John Kettler

Nothing negative.. I'm just not a fan of Kandinsky and his ilk.. I have realist leanings and consider most modern art to be more decoration than art. ;)

Van Gogh of course I have much admiration for, his bold use of color and the brush have always awed me.

Back to the game.. any thoughts so far (no intel leaks please ;) )?

Since we have this weird combination of art-critics and "normal" (for what it's worth) forummembers, I'd like to mention the fact that it seems to me that Steven Spielberg is a fan of Wyeth, too. (I never heard of Wyeth before this thread.)

In "Saving private Ryan" there is the scene of Ryan's home when mother Ryan is about to receive the horrible news about her sons. The field and farmhouse look remarkable like the scene in Wyeth's "Christina's World".

So art and war come together once again!

And Mr. Hardenberger: my only minor objection in regard to your playing style is the near perfect textbook way you operate. On one hand I'm very much impressed (never in a million years would I have the patience for such a structured way of warfare), but on the other hand I miss a little excitement in the form of something weird, unexpected or unorthodox.

Can't you do something crazy?:eek:

Bil,

Your long-trunked critter has lots of room in there to work that gun, thus, the amazing ROF. I suspect it's much better than that of a King Tiger. The link characterizes the interior of same as roomy for the period. Pic 4 discusses the ammo situation, cited as ~50 rounds.

http://panzerfaust.ca/AFV%20interiors/elefant.html

Regards,

John Kettler

Thanks for great view of interior; it's just now that I realize how huge that gun really was. They must have had some earplugs in them days..

Hmm..good ..bad..or something else

Well, it does make one wonder about your mental stability. ;)

I also like certain Van Gogh pics especially the way he painted the Sky..

He did marvelous things with fields of tall grass as well. You can practically see it moving in the wind. But then, he was just marvelous anyway.

:)

Michael

He did marvelous things with fields of tall grass as well. You can practically see it moving in the wind. But then, he was just marvelous anyway.

And he may well have had some sort of colour deficiency in his vision, apparently. Accounting for some of his "unusual use of colour"...

Personally, Vincent Monaco is my favorite artist ;) (Sorry, couldn’t resist a plug)

Enjoying this AAR as usual Bil. Bummer about the windy conditions. Some calmer wind smoke would definitely make closing the distance easier.

The Brummbar is a self-propelled siG 33 rough equivalent with very impressive armor protection. The cartridge is cased, but not fixed. When loading, the whole shebang (casing, selected propellant increments and and shell inserted) goes into the breech. 38 rounds are carried.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brummb%C3%A4r

Nice vid, but no firing!

Late model one firing. Only known footage.

Regards,

John Kettler

The Eighth Minute

Well... it is now looking like the Left Tit is unmanned. One more turn and I'll know for sure.. but it does not look like GaJ has anything here. My two teams can now see into the rear of this objective and nothing is in sight. Even some empty foxholes sit behind the barrier.

In my opinion a barrier with nothing to cover it by fire is no barrier at all.

Interesting.

8667355734_d8a32e4e07_b.jpg

Here is where I am on the Left Tit... 2d Squad is still hunting around the base while 1st Platoon organizes for their movement over the top.

8667355732_9b3129628b_b.jpg

CONTACT!

Back on Hill 130 my Jpz IV spots an ATG on the Spur objective! It's good to finally see some hint of the enemy after 8 minutes.

8667355740_ecd93041b9_b.jpg

Right at the end of the turn the Jpz IV fired at the ATG.. the round fell just short. Next turn should be interesting.

I am really surprised this gun didn't spot me first...

8666255251_14b8b2015e_b.jpg