AXIS : Gustav Line BETA AAR Round Two - Eye of the Elefant

The First Minute

The 3rd Platoon HQ halftrack takes up it's support by fire position and starts to lay some MG fire onto the left tit front slope while the squad halftracks pass it by on their way to their drop off positions.

8656822512_3e663e6d1c_b.jpg

Totally ahistorical usage ! Stop this gamey behaviour at once ! :D :D

The Second Minute

My left side Sturmpanzer fires a couple rounds at the Left Tit objective... nice recoil and very satisfying to watch it fire:

8658063796_1655907a87_b.jpg

Closer to the objective 3rd platoon's 2d Squad disembarks, note the squad leader hanging back and supervising his squad's deployment... the bottom image illustrates nicely the two models of 251... ausf C on the right and ausf D on the left (1st Squad):

8656958339_f7ced7053e_b.jpg

The Panzer platoon moves forward...

8656969469_d032290049_b.jpg

...as does 2d Platoon.. they must be feeling very secure knowing they have a very large friend overwatching their movement (can you spot the Elefant? Hint.. he's hiding behind a tree ;) ):

8656958345_9ee9cd284c_b.jpg

Totally ahistorical usage ! Stop this gamey behaviour at once ! :D :D

You misspelled behavior by the way ;)

heh, I just read that thread in the CMBN forum. First of all I do not believe it. If these halftracks were only a battle taxi they would have:

1) Used half-tracked trucks instead and saved on the armor usage

2) Not armed them

I am sure there were times that the infantry component was indeed used independently of the half track element especially in urban and close terrain. However, to think that these units would have these armed and small arms protected vehicles on hand and not used them in a support by fire role and as a base of fire for the maneuver element is tactically inane.

I do not doubt that they became very shy when tanks were prowling nearby, but when assaulting a strongpoint that is primarily armed with infantry weapons I have no doubts that the platoon leader would place them in hull down positions (if possible) and support his assault elements with fire. It would be criminal for him not to in my opinion.

The war movie lighting is beginning to grow on me

Since Bil tweaked it, it does show up clearer. I don't hate it as much, but to this point still prefer the stock lighting. I think it is mostly a personal thing, I simply prefer the richer, warmer colors of the stock lighting, as that is how my world looks. Maybe if I was color blind it might not matter.

Michael

You mean I don't get to hold my breath and kick my heels on the floor? Oh darn; I haven't thrown a good tantrum in I don't know how long. Couldn't you be just a little mean and overbearing? Pretty please?

;)

Michael

If you want regular lighting it looks like you are just going to have to stick to GaJ's thread. :)

I think it is mostly a personal thing, I simply prefer the richer, warmer colors of the stock lighting, as that is how my world looks. Maybe if I was color blind it might not matter.

Yeah +1 from me as well. I will still try it in game but so far the screen shots have using it have been - meh.

Michael nobody is forcing it on you. Well.. except me in this thread! :D

Hee hee, we can suck it up - just for this thread though:D

Reminds me of the washed out image you get, when you gaze at the ground, after you have been looking into the sky, hand held up to block the summer sun. Trouble is, the colour soon returns in real life. Maybe in between the two options would be better, as the stock colours are two garish, and the movie lighting too faded.

Good work so far mate..I quite like the lighting..esp for the med..it makes it feel hot for some reason. I'm not a fan of bright colours and the stock CMBN terrain I find garish..Aris terrain sorted that out though.

The details on the Tanks really show up now since the new bump mapping that came with version 2,0.

The Third Minute

2nd Squad, 3rd Platoon begins to edge closer to the Left Tit objective.

8659588423_91f89482df_b.jpg

Here is the situation on the approach to the Left Tit objective.

2nd Squad is dismounted and hunting forward to try and get GaJ's troops on the objective to open fire so I can have a target to hit with my support weapons. The 2nd Squad halftrack is slowly following them in order to suppress anything that engages the dismounts.

1st and 3rd Squads are still mounted and their halftracks are laying suppression fire on the ridge of the objective. (edit: there is an error in this image, the halftrack on the right is actually 3rd Squad, not 2nd)

The Platoon Leader halftrack and the Elefant are both also joining in and laying MG suppression fire on the Left Tit objective.

The mortar team in direct support is laying a smoke screen between the tits to isolate the Left Tit.

8660689788_2d29aa70e1_b.jpg

2nd Platoon's 1st Squad will dismount and start moving to a jump off position so it can reconnoiter the left side.

8660689798_dd6fd248f4_b.jpg

The sit map for this turn shows several things:

I have a team in a kubelwagen on each side moving out for some mounted recon. I wanted these teams to be mounted, but did not want to risk a halftrack with this duty.

1st PzG Platoon is moving up and taking up a position to the rear of 3rd Platoon, in order to either pass through them or support them as the situation warrants.

It also illustrates the movement occurring to the front of the Left and Right Tits.

8659588407_fb526e9ba3_b.jpg