AXIS : Gustav Line BETA AAR Round Two - Eye of the Elefant

I just found out that one of the the two surviving Elefants (this example captured at Anzio) is located about 30 minutes from me (Ft. Lee Virginia). In fact I did not realize that the Army is moving the entire Army Ordnance Museum from Aberdeen to Ft. Lee.. sweet. I have fond memories of visiting that museum in the 80s.

A field trip is in order I do believe.

No need for a field trip. If you have Netflix just watch or stream, Season 2 - Episode 2 of Tank Overhaul which features The Elefant (one that survived Kursk and then salvaged from Anzio, now located at Aberdeen). This is apparently one of only two surviving Elefants left.

Actually he did die in a sickbed 12 days after his accident. ;)

Crap. Wait,that was just the SHELL of the warrior! His spirit died in the saddle, dreaming of kicking Zhukov's ass back across the Volga. Yeah, baby...

Screenshot or it didn't happen. ;)

No need for a field trip. If you have Netflix just watch or stream, Season 2 - Episode 2 of Tank Overhaul which features The Elefant (one that survived Kursk and then salvaged from Anzio, now located at Aberdeen). This is apparently one of only two surviving Elefants left.

Chops I can watch that show and go see the real thing... I need to get out in the sun once in a while you know and it is top down weather here. ;)

I haven't shown the map yet.. I suppose GaJ has though.. did he tell you guys we are switching locations to make this a more interesting show for you, more challenging for me, and more defensible for him?

As to how I'm going to use them.. them.. well actually it as I will only be purchasing one... I haven't decided yet. :D

I haven't shown the map yet.. I suppose GaJ has though.. did he tell you guys we are switching locations to make this a more interesting show for you, more challenging for me, and more defensible for him?

Your call, but I actually found the first map more interesting for both attacker and defender. But the new one isn't bad. I look forward to playing on it when it comes out.

Michael

c3k reminds me of this quote:

One day in the pavilion at Karakorum he [Genghis Kahn] asked an officer of the Mongol guard what, in all the world, could bring the greatest happiness.

"The open steppe, a clear day, and a swift horse under you," responded the officer after a little thought, "and a falcon on your wrist to start up hares."

"Nay," responded the Kahn, "to crush your enemies, to see them fall at your feet -- to take their horses and goods and hear the lamentation of their women. That is best."

Harold Lamb, GENGHIS KAHN: THE EMPEROR OF ALL MEN

Keep them coming Ken!

c3k, you are getting a bit too excited and too repetitive with your point of view. I do believe everybody has got it by now. ;)

I like his comments. You always know exactly what line he's going to take.

It's 'Allo 'Allo humour - how can you work the same joke(s) into every episode...

Maybe it's an "English" thing :)

Still, I know that in my AAR, even though I'm defending, his advice will continue to be utterly reliable :D

I like his comments. You always know exactly what line he's going to take.

It's 'Allo 'Allo humour - how can you work the same joke(s) into every episode...

Maybe it's an "English" thing :)

Still, I know that in my AAR, even though I'm defending, his advice will continue to be utterly reliable :D

Me like too. Tallyhoo, and all that..

Ken just cannot find the Peng thread. That is all.

Gerry

The Peng thread simply cannot find me! ;)

Back to Bil: so, what are your initial thoughts on how you're going to go about your...wait for it...ATTACK!?!? (<-- Totally gratuitous, and only for those who prefer the analytical approach rather than that steeped in blood, manly pursuits, and glory!)

Ken

Back to Bil: so, what are your initial thoughts on how you're going to go about your...wait for it...ATTACK!?!?

Well if you are serious, I am thinking about going with a Command Push style of play for this battle... I think he will be expecting me to do my normal Recon Pull but I am thinking about mixing it up some and pushing HARD in two or three different zones and sending a strong mounted/armored reserve at whatever turns out to be the weakest point.

Can't say more until I get to see the map in detail (I built it BTW ;) ) with my forces purchased and can determine a way forward.

I am in love with the War Movie Lighting (WML) and will probably be using it throughout this AAR. I lthink it has a gritty realistic look, the terrain is easier to read, and the details frankly just pop better.

Here is an example of an Elefant on the ridge road (a major objective for this game) showing the difference between the two lighting modes.

8642240772_aa19766c94_b.jpg

As for the map, it measures 1.6 km by 2.2 km.. very large, and will allow some nice covered maneuver and for GaJ some terrific defensive potential.

Here is a look from my setup zone towards Santa Maria Infante.. from the left and the right approaches. Right and left of the ridge road that is:

8642240758_21db5a8aaa_b.jpg

Finally a view of the ridge road as it snakes towards the town in the distance and as it winds between the left and right tits (those were the names given to these two hills during the actual battle, sorry if that offends anybody, but this is HISTORY ;) ).

8641140575_22788286da_b.jpg