AXIS : Gustav Line BETA AAR Round Two - Eye of the Elefant

permanent666 is no troll and while I think it is a bad idea to post that link without warning, clicking on it wouldn't reveal anything to Bil as it is the very start of the thread before they even switched maps.

Boy, he sure came across as one. But if it's the case that his intent was other than trolling, I'll change my comment to:

"Boy, that comes across like an attempt to sabotage the game. If it wasn't, you might consider the possible repercussions of linking Bill to his opponent's thread without first warning him."

i will wear the troll badge with proud

Sorry I ruined this game! now Bill knows that GAJ's units are not where he was thinking they are but actually defending a town called Arterna

There is a difference between trying to sabotage something and ruining it. One describes your actions. The other is beyond your capability, which is more like a gnat on the hide of a rhinoceros. The gnat may be proud, but in the grand scheme of things he is rather pathetic.

He who is great builds. He who is not mocks.

The Seventeenth Miinute

This was a good turn for GaJ... it appears that he maneuvered his AA weapon onto the flank of my recon halftracks. By the way it fired I suspect this was the AA weapon, probably mobile, that he was tasked with purchasing.

I expected these would come under fire...

8686193040_95808a77a7_b.jpg

..I just didn't expect this, I had them perfectly lined up for a double kill:

8686193032_fedbc0e835_b.jpg

Now in my last post I told you how I expected GaJ was deployed.. and this is one of the contacts that I have been watching for several turns now that helped with that analysis. There is a tank of some sort in S. Maria Infante.. I have mortar fire falling on its position this turn.

8686193060_b95672eb8d_b.jpg

Also behind Hill 172 I have been watching this contact for a couple turns now:

8685074025_873d93bbfb_b.jpg

This turn added this... an M10 situated in Tame. This vehicle moved forward.. obviously in response to my move on Hill 109.. which I am calling off for a turn or two while I digest all of this.

8686193026_1ee4e11d83_b.jpg

Now those three contacts, and everything I have learned so far helps convince me that I am on the right track with analyzing GaJ's defense.

Remembering what I wrote earlier about that « Road of all fears », writing done after having looked at your well done map, why did you use these two HTs as a bait?

Could it have been better to move forward 2 Recon small teams and or a lone guy (the kubelwagen driver) as you are doing on the left flank?

I think it would have given you as much Intel or maybe nearly the same without having these 2 HTs drilled neatly.

BTW I have seen the HT’s gunner firing without wearing his helmet. I think that I have not seen that earlier (amazing detail). That helmet anyway would not have been of any help for the gunner, against what you suspect to be an AA weapon, considering the damage done.

Do you think that your Elefant will be able to move and engage without being seen the M 1O that you have just seen? The Elefant profile will have to be kept very low in order to do so. Plotting pathways taking that in account, even with a very good knowledge of the ground, does not mean that it will be strictly followed by the track.

Snake Eye, I didn't think another infantry team would force GaJ to engage like the half tracks did. I didn't expect to lose them both to the same burst of fire. Good job to GaJ for setting that up.

It is not the end of the world and now I know where his AA is located.

The Elefant is moving to a position on the Right Tit. I have two Pz IVs that are overwatching the M10 in Tame.

It is not the end of the world and now I know where his AA is located.

You can identify the shooter's locations by looking through the bullet holes on the second halftrack and lining them up with the bullet holes on the first. :D

Although I suppose that may not be the safest method...