AXIS : Gustav Line BETA AAR Round Two - Eye of the Elefant

I am in love with the War Movie Lighting (WML) and will probably be using it throughout this AAR. I lthink it has a gritty realistic look, the terrain is easier to read, and the details frankly just pop better.

Based on what I'm seeing here, I strongly disagree on all points. Nevertheless, once I have the game in my hands, I will try it to see if it looks any differently when I play on it. But here, it just looks dark and washed out. I find it actually harder to pick out details like subtle contours of the ground. If you could turn up the brightness and contrast on your monitor, I'd be happier but maybe you wouldn't.

Michael

Aragorn, yes.

Michael and Vanir.. well all I can say is that it is probably going to be a personal thing.. these were shot in the editor.. once the battle gets going I think you'll be able to see why I like it so much. If it becomes something people hate I'll revert to standard lighting.

Chops, I should be able to do something like that, we'll see.

Based on what I'm seeing here, I strongly disagree on all points. Nevertheless, once I have the game in my hands, I will try it to see if it looks any differently when I play on it. But here, it just looks dark and washed out. I find it actually harder to pick out details like subtle contours of the ground. If you could turn up the brightness and contrast on your monitor, I'd be happier but maybe you wouldn't.

Michael

I don't know how I will feel about the movie mode lighting when I have the game too, but from the screens my thoughts are the same as Micheal’s. I find it too washed out for my taste. At least it can be toggled on and off to individual preference.

Since a few are vocal against the War Movie Lighting already, I will raise my voice for. I can't say I will use it until I have the game either, but it is a new feature and would like to continue seeing it showcased where possible.

Or in the elefant's case...rolling bunkers. I don't think they had an MG until a later model was designed and produced.

That being said, I'm not sure if the later model is the model in this game or not.

The later model with the MG is in CMFI.

Finally a view of the ridge road as it snakes towards the town in the distance and as it winds between the left and right tits (those were the names given to these two hills during the actual battle, sorry if that offends anybody, but this is HISTORY ;) ).

8641140575_22788286da_b.jpg

^^^ I think that is where many of us would prefer to be!:D

Aragorn, yes.

Michael and Vanir.. well all I can say is that it is probably going to be a personal thing.. these were shot in the editor.. once the battle gets going I think you'll be able to see why I like it so much. If it becomes something people hate I'll revert to standard lighting.

Chops, I should be able to do something like that, we'll see.

Thanks Bil. I appreciate the effort and time you are putting into these AAR's.

I've been thinking about how GaJ might defend this piece of ground... or rather how I would do it.

I would:

--close the ridge road with mines/obstacles thus forcing the attacker to split his force

--use many mines and obstacles to funnel any attacker into preset kill zones, preferably by AT guns and on map mortars placed behind the crests of the numerous hills and keyholed into positions that cannot be engaged from the attacker's side of the map (at least not directly)

--maintain a strong armored reserve (or two) to counter-attack with... it would be important to keep this hidden until the right moment presented itself

--Purchase few infantry.. rather put the available points into artillery, bunkers, AT guns and on-map mortars. Any infantry purchased I would use as part of the mobile strike force.

--Buy an aircraft.. this will be necessary to counter the Elefant and the Brummbars. Even though these really unbalance a scenario that is not unrealistic especially for a US force

--purchase many TRPs and litter the approaches with them in order to call in artillery quickly and effectively and to increase the accuracy of the AT guns and mortars

--conduct an active recon with snipers or similar unit with good eyes in order to determine the attacker's main avenue(s) of approach.. the goal here would be stealth

That is basically what I would do were I in his position.. basically make it an attacker's nightmare with multiple lines of defense and interlocking fields of fire.

It is these possibilities that I will be keeping foremost in my mind as I task organize my force for this attack. That is..if GaJ ever sends me the next file. ;)

I've been thinking about how GaJ might defend this piece of ground... or rather how I would do it.

I would:

--close the ridge road with mines/obstacles thus forcing the attacker to split his force

--use many mines and obstacles to funnel any attacker into preset kill zones, preferably by AT guns and on map mortars placed behind the crests of the numerous hills and keyholed into positions that cannot be engaged from the attacker's side of the map (at least not directly)

--maintain a strong armored reserve (or two) to counter-attack with... it would be important to keep this hidden until the right moment presented itself

--Purchase few infantry.. rather put the available points into artillery, bunkers, AT guns and on-map mortars. Any infantry purchased I would use as part of the mobile strike force.

--Buy an aircraft.. this will be necessary to counter the Elefant and the Brummbars. Even though these really unbalance a scenario that is not unrealistic especially for a US force

--purchase many TRPs and litter the approaches with them in order to call in artillery quickly and effectively and to increase the accuracy of the AT guns and mortars

--conduct an active recon with snipers or similar unit with good eyes in order to determine the attacker's main avenue(s) of approach.. the goal here would be stealth

That is basically what I would do were I in his position.. basically make it an attacker's nightmare with multiple lines of defense and interlocking fields of fire.

You've been reading my mind...or my posts in the Peanut Gallery.

:eek:

Michael

Funny Michael. ;)

None of this is new.. its pretty much common sense and anybody with any experience would probably have most of these points as well. It's my job to analyze the enemy's probable courses of action in order to properly prepare for attacking him.

Some of these I even suggested to GaJ in our emails in order to help guide him a bit. Still waiting for him to complete his purchases. I think I have about thought mine out, at least loosely.

Bil