1942 Case Blue - AAR!

On the southern steppes the Army Group ‘South’ prepares for defense. It is understandable that OKH doesn’t want to reveal the troops deployment and the number of armies, therefore once again we will show you the screenshot from the strategic map. We can confirm that enemy is stronger than we supposed and we needed to withdraw, to avoid a complete disaster. We are awaiting for Ivanov’s next steps. OKH predicts that the main objective of the current Soviet offensive is Morozovsk and then Rostov, but we will see.

strats.jpg

In the central regions, Zhukov’s offensive got bogged down (“Like we haven’t expected this ;)”- winked Gen. Model to his aide-de-camp and they both laughed ironically). As you can see Soviet units are pretty much wore out, especially the advancing Mechanized Corps and Tank Group, which lost 50% of their troops and vehicles, after our attacks. The readiness and morale of the forefront units is systematically decreasing due to low supply. OKH is well aware of this and decided to transfer the Tank Corps from Gen. von Paulus’ 6th Army and some newly created units that were stationed in Poland. We are planning once again to cause some turmoil at Zhukov’s flanks.

There was heavy fighting around Yeltis this turn. Two Soviet armies retreated after they suffered severe casualties.

centret.jpg

In Leningrad we have finally managed to rebuild the supply lines and reinforce most of our units. Gen. Hoepner is planning to attack the city as soon as the morale of his troops is rebuilt. You can be sure Herr Stalin, that it won’t be quiet on Volkhov Front!

leninaa.jpg

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- The "mother of all battles" was surprisingly short, I expected Germans to stick around till february 43 :D .

- Leningrad still holding but it seems a strong push by Germans can take it if they can commit enough forces...

- I see many unts on both sides with greyish strength display, seems supply is even more a pain than what I believed till now...

- Oh one question: are there any mechanism/event simulating the drain on axis power due to other fronts or is it included in the MPPs base ? Like: "Do you want to reinforce Rommel/the Med front ?".

- Leningrad still holding but it seems a strong push by Germans can take it if they can commit enough forces...

Don't provoke/encourage him to do something he would regret :D If the German units approach Leningrad from the south, their supply drops to 2-3 plus they'd need to attack from swamps, so capture of Leningrad is very unlikely at this stage. The more units Germans commit on the Leningrad front ( it was supposed to be secondary ), the worse for them. STAVKA also estimates that the use of the Finnish units will be counterproductive at the end. They are of a good quality but because they are minor and they are upgraded, it costs a lot of MPPs' to reinforce them. In the long term we are waging a war of attrition and the Axis with their current industrial output can't really afford taking such a casualties on the secondary front. Well, at least we are repeating what gen. Zhukov has recently reported to our Great Leader...

- I see many unts on both sides with greyish strength display, seems supply is even more a pain than what I believed till now...

This is mostly due to the battle weariness, not bad supply. In fact Ghost commited most of his units to aggressive offensive operations and I had to do the same in order to counter him. The fighting rages along 80% of the existing frontline and that doesn't allow us to rest and refit too many of the units. In my oppinion the German assault against Stalingrad colapsed quickly because the attacking units were not sufficiently rested ( roughtly 50% morale and readiness ), while our defending armies driven by the patriotic and revolutionary zeal had their morale at 80-90%.

As to the supply, you have to pay attention to it because the map is big and the distances between the resources are quite large but you can overcome it by deploying correctly your HQ's.

- Oh one question: are there any mechanism/event simulating the drain on axis power due to other fronts or is it included in the MPPs base ? Like: "Do you want to reinforce Rommel/the Med front ?".

In the spring of 1943 the Germans start getting a small MPP penalty when the Italian front activates. Later there is a DE regarding reinforcing of the Reich air defence. If the player say "yes" he will need to pay for it, but then at the beginning of 1944 the German production will start to increase thanks to the efforts of Albert Speer. Unfortunatelly there is a massive MPP hit when the second front opens on 6th of June 1944. All in all, the Axis player can try to defeat USSR until the spring of 1943. Later he'll simply need to fight for his survival :eek:

Just a side note for some who are saying "hey the Germans didn't do as good as historical". Ivanov found an error in the scenario that I missed. It is now corrected.

I am very glad to see this scenario is balanced. Case Blue is the hardest to balance for play.

The determination of STAVKA to defeat fascist forces on the Leningrad front is quite evident. The Mannerheim hordes received a hard lesson from Red Army and the Finnish instigators lost one entire corps due to our vigorous actions on the northern outskirts of the Great City. On the southern approaches the German Fascists fled when attacked by our units taking part in the “Operation Spark”! The enemy morale and readiness are really low due to the constant problems with the supply:

02827augleningrad.png

Near Vyazma and Kaluga our intelligence spotted heavy concentration of the enemy units ( including one panzer corps ), probably aiming to counterattack our flank from the area of Kozelsk. Due to that gen Zhukov ordered the Western Front to postpone for the moment any offensive operations and regroup in anticipation of further enemy moves. Our offensive is clearly draining the resources on the enemy and STAVKA has spotted that the German frontline facing our Bryansk Front has been seriously weakened. The Sixth Army and Hungarians pay for it dearly and two enemy infantry corps have been destroyed near Matensk and Yeltis.

02827augcenter.png

In the south the OKW has been reinforcing heavily the battered Heeresgruppe Sud. From our calculations it looks like our Stalingrad and North Caucasus fronts possess only slight numerical superiority over the enemy. It probably won’t be enough to secure a decisive victory this summer. STAVKA is also painfully aware that our troops still lack sufficient artillery and air support in order to overcome the well prepared, fixed defensive positions. Nevertheless we will continue to exert pressure on the enemy and search for some new opportunities:

02827augsouth.png

It's worth noting that despite suffering heavy loses the Soviet side has managed to gain a clear advantage if it comes to the tech investment:

SOVIET

028_27AUGSOVIETRESEARCH_zps55db2349.png

GERMAN

026_21AUGGERMANRESEARCH_zps9a5d17e2.png

The Germans invested only 300 MPP vs Soviet 675 MPP. Appart from reinvesting in the infantry and tank techs, the Soviet Union invested in the industry, attack aircraft and long range aircraft. Heavy bombers and artillery are next on the list.

WTH Ghost!!! This little half-a$$ defense of St Petersburg is getting on my nerves, where's the Luftwaffe?

This is swamp land, there's an ariel bonus, get them ready for the campaigning season. The name of this game is "take the highground", unleash the Stukas, the Junkers, the Heinkels, Dorniers, bomb them Ruskies into submission.

The key to USSR is take Saint P. and roll up the front, north to south, as soon as the weather clears, "strike with the whip and hold the reins loose".

Hahaha :) ,

Thanks for the answers Ivanov ! It's true that Soviets seem to have infinite manpower with double unit lines everywhere. Maybe GoW could have concentrated more troops in the south but then he probably would have lost (more) ground in the center. Germans clearly can't attack all along the front in 1942.

Germans clearly can't attack all along the front in 1942.

That's certainly true. It's either Moscow or Caucasus. In my oppinion the activity on other fronts it's an unnecessary distraction and resource drain.

In AoC/AoD (except vanilla global) swamps are strong defensive positions. You try marching an army through a marsh with thousands of places for units to hide.

If I put in vanilla SC2 Swamps Leningrad would be easily taken every time no matter the Soviets there. Pick a hex, blow it up, take it, next hex.

Group Army ‘South’ has prepared its line of defense for the upcoming attack. Soviet attacks used to have a form of human wave which usually led to quick collapse. However our enemy proved to be tricky and deceitful, therefore we expect something more… Machiavellian ;). So far they haven’t started a full-scale attack, limiting their activity to local fights in few places of the front. In response, OKW ordered local counterattacks north-east from Morozovsk in which our troops have erased one Soviet army and made the other army retreat with 80% casualties. We know that it’s just a tactical success but currently we want to focus on defense and rebuilding our numerous and qualitative advantage. New units, including Panzer and Mech. Corps are being produced and we expect them to enter the action in Sept/Oct this year.

southo.jpg

Army Group ‘Centre’ continues its dynamic and active defense. We managed to heavily batter the advancing Soviet Tank Group. In the region of Vyazma, the enemy withdrew, probably due to problems with supply. What does Gen. Model think about it?

“Seems like Zhukov overestimated his logistical abilities”.

Well said Herr General, we are truly grateful for your expertise.

“My pleasure gentlemen, anything for the strategy games freaks”.

Ok, Herr General, let’s end this pleasantries and let’s get back to work.

centrec.jpg

Now, going to Army Group ‘North’, OKH is pleased that enemy engaged a lot of resources to defend Leningrad city. We see that he has three Fighter Groups, one Heavy Bombers Group and one mechanized corps (they could have been used by Stalingrad Front). Ivanov also claims that he sent resurrected Gen. Konev there, though OKH doubts that (according to Abwehr Konev is actually alive and has been recently seen in Kolyma Gulag over the Arctic Circle). Anyway, we have noticed that our tenacious and fierce attacks draw a lot of STAVKA’s attention, which is good. Leningrad actually remained our secondary front, we haven’t used any additional armies there, with the exception of heavy artillery. This turn we attacked their advancing Infantry Division and made it retreat. We also damaged the Mechanized Corps, which probably will have to withdraw in the next turn. We will continue to harass the Soviets in the city area, expecting them to allocate more forces there.

leninh.jpg

In Zhitomir area we suffer from partisan activity. It is the price we have to pay for transferring some units from Kiev-Zhitomir perimeter. German player needs to keep there as many units as possible.

partisan.jpg

That’s all for today. Have a nice Sunday, commanders!

WTH Ghost!!! This little half-a$$ defense of St Petersburg is getting on my nerves, where's the Luftwaffe?

This is swamp land, there's an ariel bonus, get them ready for the campaigning season. The name of this game is "take the highground", unleash the Stukas, the Junkers, the Heinkels, Dorniers, bomb them Ruskies into submission.

The key to USSR is take Saint P. and roll up the front, north to south, as soon as the weather clears, "strike with the whip and hold the reins loose".

Relax SeaMonkey :). Not all at one time. I needed more air power in the South and in the Centre. New Fighter Group and Med Bombers are being produced and we need to wait for them couple of turns.

For now I engaged all the forces I could in Leningrad area (though Ivanov claims that it was still too much and I should have sent them to the South). Anyway the economy of war is really hard for Germans in this campaign and I must congratulate the author on creating realistic scenario (at least for the Axis side).

Hahaha :) ,

Thanks for the answers Ivanov ! It's true that Soviets seem to have infinite manpower with double unit lines everywhere. Maybe GoW could have concentrated more troops in the south but then he probably would have lost (more) ground in the center. Germans clearly can't attack all along the front in 1942.

Actually when I think about it now, it wouldn't be a bad idea, to withdraw slowly in the centre (even losing Vyazma, Orel and some other cities) and make the Soviets advance. Definitely in such case I could use less forces there.

For now I engaged all the forces I could in Leningrad area (though Ivanov claims that it was still too much and I should have sent them to the South).

My impression is that in terms of the MPPs' lost on the Leningrad front, the Germans and Finns suffered probably even greater loses than the Soviets. So it's not even about the number of units enegaged there but about the MPPs' that could be otherwise invested for example in the tech or in purchasing the new units.

Actually when I think about it now, it wouldn't be a bad idea, to withdraw slowly in the centre (even losing Vyazma, Orel and some other cities) and make the Soviets advance. Definitely in such case I could use less forces there.

Yeah, I think that the best defensive tactics is to slowly give up the ground while trying to inflict high casualties on the attackers. Standing fast ( as Fuhrer requested it from his commanders ) leads inevitably to the unecessary losses of the defender.

Anyway, it has been a great match so far. The Germans didn't manage to secure their objectives but the Soviets are also very far from winning. Ghost is one of the best players I know. Most importantly he learns from his own mistakes, so I'm expecting the titanic struggle to continue, especially in 1943 which will be decisive!

Sorry Ghost, I guess I kind of "flew off the handle" there.

So Al, since the combat characteristics have changed for swamps, would you like to clue us in on the combat penalties and bonuses? How about the supply aspects, swamps are notorius for bad supply situations, are roads available to funnel resources into the fighting troops engaged in swamplands?

We are at the beginning of September and it means that there is roughly one month of a good weather left. STAVKA realizes that Red Army needs to hit the enemy as hard as possible, before the upcoming autumn rains severely hamper our air operations and before the mud ( the dreaded rasputitsa ) will make any vigorous mobile operations impossible. Just few weeks ago we were awaiting the bad weather with a hope that it would stop the enemy offensive. Now Stalin is furious that the nature will eventually put an end the glorious march of our armies.

Near Leningrad the Heeresgruppe Nord has suffered a major defeat with two infantry corps destroyed. The forces under gen Konev may look unimpressive but compared to the exhausted and demoralized enemy, they are the first class fighting units! The Fascist front is falling falling appart in front of our brave lads just like a rotten door when kicked! The counter revolutionary, Mannerheim aggressors from the north, have halted their offensive operations. If they try to move forward again, they know very well what awaits them at the gates of Leningrad!

03002sepleningrad.png

There has been no action in the centre. Our armies have been undergoing a needed reorganization and in the mean time a selected expert anti-tank teams have been training our boys in the most efficient ways how to deal with the Fascist panzers. A special leaflet has been issued and dispatched among the ranks:

PANZERIII_zps6dce332a.jpg

In the South our fronts have been slowly crawling forward. Right now we intend to wear down the enemy, who seems to be hoping to stop us in our tracks. STAVKA estimates them the Red Army should eventually prevail in the attritional battle, however we must admit that the enemy knows damn well how to build a formidable defence and he probably learnt this skill from us ;) The first line is occupied by the expendable and cheap infantry divisions, which are supposed to slow us down. The second line consists of infantry corps and panzer corps, which are capable of drowning any breakthrough attempts in the sea of blood. For now, there have been no major territorial gains on our side, but one German infantry corps has been destroyed and few other severely battered. A tank battle took place near Morozowsk. As a result the enemy panzer corps suffered 70% loses and fled. It will take time and money before it will become fully operational again.

03002sepsouth.png

Various partisan and insurgent groups become active on the occupied territory. It is clear from the image below that they can count on the support of the local population:

PARTISANTS_zps5efcda1e.jpg

I wonder, what about the Luftwaffe/VVS balance?

In mid 1942 the VVS started a major reorganization under marshal Novikov, regrouping air assets in Air Armies formerly dispersed under the command of the land units, and abandoning the clumsy organization in tactical units composed of several different models of planes.

Meanwhile, from october 1942 the Luftwaffe started the creation of Luftwaffe Field Divisions, diverting up to 250.000 support personel to recruit 22 divisions, greatly disrupting maintenance of Air units.

Is this represented in the game?

I wonder, what about the Luftwaffe/VVS balance?

The VVS starts Case Blue with a slight numerical edge, while the Luftwaffe is ahead in terms of the tech. I thought that due to the better quality of the German airforce, my air units will suffer horrendous loses and that I would need to ground a lot of them. Fortunatelly the attrition works both ways. I've noticed that Ghost units often don't intercept and from the screenshots I see that the German planes are 50-60% strenght. Due to the MPP balance it's pretty expensive for the German player to keep his planes fully operational - just like in the reality. I predict that the VVS superiority will grow gradually, because I will be able to purchase more new units. The numerically inferior Luftwaffe will suffer higher attrition due to the multiple interceptions during the same turn. Right now neither side can claim an air superiority and the impact of the air power on the ground operations feels just right :)

In the war the Russians lost about 3-4x as many planes as the Germans even as late as 1944. They never ruled the skies by casualties, just by numbers. But repping a 3x advantage in planes is just not practical. So the idea is each air point for the Soviets really is 2 airpoints at 1/2 the cost. They take about twice as much damage thus it equals a 3-4x loss ratio with the Germans having the tech advantage.

Worked out better than expected.

In this turn I will not write long. In the South we continue active defense. The Panzer battle is raging across the steppes around Morozovsk. The enemy lost one of the advancing Tank Groups and the other suffered 60% casualties and retreated from the battlefield! Two of the advancing Soviet armies were pushed off with heavy losses. The loud sounds of machine guns and heavy artillery must be heard at the very windows of Kremlin! Well maybe not the one in Moscow, but… in some other city.

OKH is aware that STAVKA is trying to pull our forces into the “meat grinding” battle, in which the Red Army will be victorious, because they can afford bigger losses. That’s why we react flexibly, trying to avoid unnecessary losses, counterattacking only where we are 100% sure of winning. Luftwaffe is a great help here, they are obviously superior in this area. Our technological advance doesn’t let the Soviet fighters do much harm.

south1g.jpg

We continue strengthening the Army Group ‘South’ therefore we have to withdraw on other fronts. The numerous advantage of our enemy, made it impossible to hold the ground in the centre and near Leningrad. That’s why we are reorganizing our forces in these areas and we prepare the delaying defense with an option of abandoning the ground. We will reveal more in the near future. Führer went to Karlove Vary on spa-weekend with Eva Braun, so he won’t oppose OKH’s and OKW’s plans. Well, until he comes back.

That’s all for now commanders!

In the war the Russians lost about 3-4x as many planes as the Germans even as late as 1944. They never ruled the skies by casualties, just by numbers. But repping a 3x advantage in planes is just not practical. So the idea is each air point for the Soviets really is 2 airpoints at 1/2 the cost. They take about twice as much damage thus it equals a 3-4x loss ratio with the Germans having the tech advantage.

Worked out better than expected.

But what about the Luftwaffe field divisions? are they represented?

It could be represented by a DE in which the German player is asked if he wants to create the divisions (meaning adding them to the pool) for a decrease in Air units performance (by lowering readiness?) or instead say no.

In general I would like to see a list of DE in the scenarios, beacuse I think that people in the forum could be able to make useful suggestions for more DE that would be adding historical details and flavour as well as strategic options for the players.

LW divisions were paper tigers. They had no real effective combat strength. The are listed on the build list if you want to build them. They would effectively be a garrison or a division without tech.

I have to agree with that. I can't imagine that players would like to give up some air units in favour of a bunch of garrison units :)

Count me in ^^ ,

- The only valuable thing about Lw field divisions were the 88 AA guns they had and could be used as anti-tank :D (and some other veteran regular units would have make a far better use of them). Same for the Hermann Goering "paratroopanzer" (whatever that strange beast is :P) division tanks.

- I remember some of those divisions (7th, 8th and 15th) were sent to help lift the siege of Stalingrad, everybody knows what happened around there I presume huhu ? Other than GAR duty they wouldn't be of much use, they were mostly the product of Goering's desire to have his own pet (land) army to compete with Himmler's growing political power as Waffen-SS units began to multiply like rabbits.

I agree that the LWFD were for the most part pretty inefective and they will be better represented by garrisons, but what about the DE? The decission was historically made and it was a factor in the decreasing performance of the Luftwaffe. It was taken in an emergency situation in which land units seemed more important, why not give the chance to the player to make his own decission?