Official Walkthrough Assault on Communism

This all looks very exciting - I have been playing around with Division sized units on the previous standard map for SC GC and it does work but is rather crowded so this could be an ideal scale from my perspective. I used the special forces slot and I guess this is what you have done.

Glad to hear you like what you've seen so far and to clarify the new unit types, these do not use any existing slots but are indeed brand new units for the release. [:)]

Here is the full unit type list:

HQ

Garrison

Division

Corps

Army

Mechanized

Special Forces

Engineers

Paratroops

Cavalry

Anti-Tank

Anti-Air

Rocket Artillery

Artillery

Rail Gun

Coastal Gun

Armored Train

Rockets

Light Tank

Tank

Airship

Fighter

Tactical Bomber

Medium Bomber

Strategic Bomber

Battleship

Cruiser

Destroyer

Light Carrier

Carrier

Sub

Partisan

Transport

Amphibious Transport

In my attempts at scenarios using current Strategic Command Global Conquest Gold I have experimented with the idea of specific factory locations such as the actual tank plants at Stalingrad and Gorki. If these are held by the Russians they get extra tank units appearing in those locations, if they are taken by the Axis they then have the potential to generate extra units. I presume that the Event facilities in this new variant of SC are similar so a modder would be able to do that still.

Correct, anything you modded in previous releases will be similarly moddable in this release as well... and possibly more if you haven't used the Breakthrough engine as we've added a few new script options from there as well as a few newer AoD/AoC ones that help the AI too.

Hubert

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is getting better and better!!

What might I ask is the airship unit likely to really be - might that be a spare aircraft slot?

I see there is also a research slot for shell production - does that have an effect on rocket artillery in terms of numbers of shells or is it an attack modifier on artillery type weapons?

You have not previously used the AA unit in standard scenarios. Personally I find it quite useful for the AI to use as otherwise its Fighters can get squandered particularly if it plays the USSR.

Regards

Mike

This is getting better and better!!

What might I ask is the airship unit likely to really be - might that be a spare aircraft slot?

I see there is also a research slot for shell production - does that have an effect on rocket artillery in terms of numbers of shells or is it an attack modifier on artillery type weapons?

You have not previously used the AA unit in standard scenarios. Personally I find it quite useful for the AI to use as otherwise its Fighters can get squandered particularly if it plays the USSR.

Regards

Mike

Airships are what they are but I have already thought of converting them to ASW long range planes for the Allies. Possibly a naval bomber. I actually didnt test how they play since I am not using them in the game.

Shell production affects how many shots artillery can take.

The airship is not likely to be used in the AoC release but since the engine modifications are the same for both AoC and AoD it can be used in the AoD release as an optional anti-submarine/reconnaissance type unit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-class_blimp

But it could certainly be used as a custom aircraft if desired as it does have long range aircraft as well as anti-submarine research types applied to it.

For shell production this will be used to increase the number of shells for Artillery, Rocket Artillery, Coastal Guns and Rail Guns.

Looks like Al and I replied at the same time :)

Arty starts with the ability to fire 3 shells... so each new level adds 1. It is hard to actually use them consistently because the front tends to shift and change rapidly that the arty is either playing catch up or attacked by advancing enemy units. They do come in handy when you have to break an enemy line or are sieging a city. :)

Hi Al

I understand why you have done what you have done re the Arctic theatre but I would not say the convoys had no effect especially at the moment in the UK when the Govt has just got round to awarding the men who fought in appalling conditions a campaign medal. The early Arctic convoys were actually the most important in terms of weapon systems carried which were used in the battles for Leningrad and Moscow. The later convoys by other routes were important in the context of trucks, trains, rolling stock and explosives but less so for weapon systems as the Soviets were producing their own superior tanks etc by then.

Regards

Mike

Glad to hear you like what you've seen so far and to clarify the new unit types, these do not use any existing slots but are indeed brand new units for the release. [:)]

Here is the full unit type list:

HQ

Garrison

Division

Corps

Army

Mechanized

Special Forces

Engineers

Paratroops

Cavalry

Anti-Tank

Anti-Air

Rocket Artillery

Artillery

Rail Gun

Coastal Gun

Armored Train

Rockets

Light Tank

Tank

Airship

Fighter

Tactical Bomber

Medium Bomber

Strategic Bomber

Battleship

Cruiser

Destroyer

Light Carrier

Carrier

Sub

Partisan

Transport

Amphibious Transport

Hubert

This is excellent!

Okay... I am off on vacation for the next couple weeks. Taking the family on a road trip to Florida. :) I know... I know... great timing... :P

I will keep the posts coming but they will likely be a turn every other day. Feel free to ask questions... either Al, Hubert or myself will be more than happy to answer and feed your growing curiosity... errrr hunger for this game. :P

When this is released I will remake my Battle for russia scenario. I suspect the scale I used with german corps and soviet armies made it easier to simulate the historical timetable. For instance seems difficult with distances for germans to capture Minsk around june 28th. Al deserves an applaude for daring to create an AI for this scale. No easy tadk for sure.

To simulate the transformation of the red army I would make soviet corps and mech corps impossible to rebuild. That was never possible with w&w.

Another thing which will be easier to simulate will be shock armies, soviet artillery corps emerging late in the war and german armydetachments.

I thought about initially making Soviet corps and converting later to armies. Instead I put armies and just lowered the strengths since is such a tiny part of the war segment. Also makes it easier on the A.I. know what to use where. They converted rather quickly.

I thought about initially making Soviet corps and converting later to armies. Instead I put armies and just lowered the strengths since is such a tiny part of the war segment. Also makes it easier on the A.I. know what to use where. They converted rather quickly.

Yeah that is a good solution as well. The red army abolished corps but then put them back again when leadership had improved. In 2 years the red army in the midst of war completly reorganized it's command structure, tank and army forces and even the airforce. Back to basics and then reintroduced the old organization structure in some ways again - bigger, bader and a formidable force' A most impressive transformation in 700-800 days which the japanese would taste in manchuria a bit later!

Posting this from a hidden location somewhere in Georgia… just a few miles north of the Florida border. :P

So far I have survived the car ride with a 5 year old, 3 year old and a 2 month old… oh yeah and the wife too. This is the first moment where we have had an internet connection. Last night our hotel’s internet was broken. I will keep this post brief… as we are due to leave our hotel and push on to south Florida shortly.

The artificial intelligence launched a number of attacks this turn doing limited damage... it is only a sign of what is to come. Over the next few turns soviet attacks should increase significantly. The artificial intelligence also conducted a number of well executed tactical withdrawals, while leaving a few speed bumps behind to slow me down. The soviet forces are beginning to get their act together.

Supply managed to catch up a bit in a few areas for me as well.

T4South.jpg

Here is the south.

T4SouthB.jpg

Notice the shifting of positions in the south and the armor that finally arrived on the Romanian front. My forces are slowly becoming more powerful and supply is up. It is only a matter of time at this point till I begin pushing forward hard.

T4CenterSouth.jpg

Here is the center south. It does not look like there is a lot in front of me. Right? Wrong. There are a number of soviet units sitting just out of view. This is where later in the war long range aircraft tech comes in very handy. Basically at the moment I am advancing blind.

T4CenterSouthB.jpg

Notice the heavily damaged armor. There was a small blocking force just out of view that did not go quietly. I am beginning to push now… East and Southward to help strengthen the Romanian front.

T4Center.jpg

Here is the center.

T4CenterB.jpg

I am also beginning to push hard in the center…. Here are my forces advancing on Minsk and pushing eastward in a general direction. There was some fighting… but not a lot. I expect to run into a number of defensive lines in the coming turns. I also have to keep an eye out for a major spoiling attack and work to limit the vulnerability for my advance units.

T4North.jpg

This is the position in the north. As you can see it is only July 10th. Lots of time left to the summer!

I am intentionally moving more slowly in the north than I could. My goal is to take as few casualties as possible, while my focus is on destroying as much of the soviet army as possible. Basically as I have said I am trying to isolate, surround and cut off from supply large numbers of Soviet troops. Then I reduce these units that are starved from supply. Notice the soviet defense around Riga. This will take a bit of work to break over the next 2 turns.

T4NorthB.jpg

Here are the final positions. You can see the powerful force I have moved up next to Riga. I will begin my assault on Riga next turn. I will also try to pierce this line and cut out as many enemy units as possible. Those 6soviet armies are a very tempting target. Remember armies are a primary target for me! The more enemy armies I destroy now will pay dividends later. Hopefully the artificial intelligence will not conduct a tactical withdrawal.

T4Finland.jpg

Finland at the beginning of the turn. Notice my upgraded units. The Finns also arrived heavily experienced. This makes them very effective… so you have carefully managed them or you will squander your advantage over the soviet forces in the area.

T4FinlandB.jpg

That said you can see my Finns struck hard and there was heavy fighting. They managed to nearly destroy that soviet armor and take ground. I expect a strong soviet counter attack.

T4DetailedLosses.jpg

Take a look at the detailed losses chart. Soviet losses continue to mount.

T4UnitDisparity.jpg

Here is a final shot of unit disparity. Soviet numbers continue to drop even with the addition of new formations arriving.

Time to shut down, pack up and leave the hotel.

The artificial intelligence struck back hard this turn, with major spoiling attacks in the north and center/south. I was surprised with the intensity of the attacks. It appears between the last beta patch and this one… BigAl has been very busy making the artificial intelligence a much better opponent. Across the entire front there were isolated incidents of individual soviet units advancing and making probing attacks. It was a bit of a wakeup call.

T5South.jpg

Here is the south. Notice the enemy light armor unit that advanced and attacked me!!!

T5SouthB.jpg

Here is the south after my moves. Notice my friendly armor finally arriving to reinforce the south. He made his presence felt immediately. Also notice how I was unable to destroy the enemy light tank. He successfully retreated.

T5CenterSouth.jpg

Notice the large force of enemy armor that advanced in the center/south and hit me. This is a direct example of the improved artificial intelligence. Even though light tanks may not be the best units, they attack twice and can still do solid damage. Operate enough of them together and you are looking at some serious firepower. That said… I think the enemy attack went off too early and too close to solid German supply. Had the soviets waited 1 turn I think they would have done more damage to the advancing Germans. Essentially my supply situation would have been worse.

T5CenterSouthB.jpg

Here is the picture after my moves. Note that all of the soviet light armor has been destroyed, but at a cost. Notice the German armor at strength 4. Losing experience hurts. The soviets have now lost most of their light armor, which is good. The quicker the Russian armor is eliminated the better. My focus is still on Russian armies.

T5Center.jpg

Here is the center. I may need to send some reinforcement north soon.

T5-CenterB.jpg

I was able to advance pretty much unopposed… really only ran into light resistance though the cav in Minsk did not go down easily.

T5North.jpg

The soviets have concentrated a lot and I mean a lot of units in the North. I have to be careful advancing or I could take serious casualties. Supply in the North... because of how I went about making my opening moves... is not so great at the moment. It should begin to seriously improve next turn.

T5-North-1.jpg

Here are my positions at the conclusion of the turn. I was able to advance but supply and large numbers of enemy units are limiting me somewhat. Large concentrations of troops in one area will slow the Germans down in that local area but it will allow a more rapid advance elsewhere. Players should watch this tendency as it can pay limited dividends early on but long-term could hurt them. You can't afford to allow the Germans to advance too quickly in other areas.

T5DetailedLosses.jpg

Detailed losses for your review.

In Finland there was very little action. I chose not to attack but prepare.

Can I ask people following this thread to post their initial thoughts of the game as a whole... AoC? I am curious as to what people are thinking?

Looks like a great expansion.

The scope of the campaign, the new units, the improved AI, the nice events/advices, all looks very fine.

I will certainly buy this when it comes out.

On the other hand, have bought every sc release since SC 1 a decade back ;-)

Its a great series of games.

Your walkthrough really cought my attention. Love the detail of the campaign, the possibilities of the new units and the historical events/advices so far. I also like that with Kita-Go you included a hypothetical campaign. Looking forward to this release! And yeah - just like every other sc game it's a certain purchase for me, after all my birthday is soon and a late present like this is allways welcome. :)

Kuni... Minsk fell under my control around the 16th of July. Minsk can be taken much quicker. Please note: I am following a specific strategy of an early slow conquest of territory. I expect I will begin taking a good amount of ground shortly.

Strat,

Yeah... you have to still manage your HQ's. I actually enjoy attaching units to specific HQ's... makes me feel a little more in control. Some of the HQ's like Kleist, Guderian, etc. come with solid experience. You want to make sure you attach your key striking units to these HQ's. You can even work carefully to build/manage HQ experience... this is critical on the soviet side as very few HQ's start with any experience. Zhukov (comes with experience) is the main one you want to attach your key offensive units to ... during the first winter to give them that added boost.

Hope this answers your questions.

Any more thoughts on the game as a whole? Questions?

I love reading this, but I will ask if all strategies are being thought out in this and the depth of this. Regardless I will love the game and buy it for sure but from all games I have run across from this series there is always a fix on how to adjust and win per the system set up. No different then GGW in the east series where there is a consistent method to attack or defend. There is always someone outside the box with a strategy to beat the system and that is what someone like I am looking for. Anyone that has played me in PBEM knows this that they will not get the standard game. But again this a reason I love this series is the multiple paths you can take and it will hopefully not be the same. However again hoping this is being thought threw completely. I understand people like Kuni want the standard game, but however it will not be that from human involvement no matter what the devi's try to figure it. I really wish I could do some photo's from China from my games, but unfortunately I can never get there but people who play with me understand the differences that can come from these games if thought is put into it. These games are highly against the axis if done right. I guess that though is natural with the real war.