Best Combat Mission game?

lcm1947

I am trying to decide which game to buy between Normandy and Italy and thought I'd ask those of you that have played both. I'm thinking Italy as I believe it's the newer of the two but newest doesn't necessarily mean the best I suppose. Would like details as to why you are recommending one over the other if you would be so kind. Thanks in advance.

CMBO was the first, I played it most and none of the later versions has felt as exciting - yet, I wouldn't play it anymore.

I like CMBN best now, but I feel there were more great scenarios for CMx1 - especially for CMBO.

Out of CMx2 games I'd take CMBN first. More scenarios and Germans have better equipment than Italians. In CMSF you couldn't even split teams if you were playing Syrians - I hated that.

Thanks so much for that info SlowMotion. I appreciate you taking the time to help me decide. Based your your post I will go ahead and buy CMBN. Hadn't thought about the Italians and their lack or quality of equipment. Good point and one that is important to me. Thanks again.

Of the CMx2 games, I lean toward FI simply because I like the terrain better. And also it's fun beating up on the Eyeties. But BN has some cooler kit. I usually prefer games set in August after the bocage has been broken through and the pursuit phase has begun. Overrunning German rear guards with tanks and mechanized cavalry is a gas.

Michael

I side with the comments about the terrain. I think BF made a major error by having Normandy as the first in the series as it is expecting new players to the system to deal with by far the hardest terrain. It would have been a big ask even if the game system had been up to scratch which it was not.

However we have now reached V2. But lets face it given the choice most real soldiers in WW2, I suspect, and most gamers prefer not to operate in a claustrophobic environment.