Sign in to follow this  
Boo Radley

Windows 8 Issues

Anybody here on Windows 8? Besides it being a fairly craptastic OS, it seems to be doing weird things to CMBN. I've just started using it and got the game installed and patched (I hope) and got a new game file from someone for a PBEM and I put it into the Incoming Mail folder. When I started the game, I wasn’t given the option to even see that folder. So I moved the file to “Saved Game”. But I couldn’t see the file when I opened that folder after starting the game. The only way I could access the file was by going into the Scenario Editor and loading the file there and then saving it into the scenarios folder.

That's way too convoluted to have to do for each turn, don’t you think?

Anybody have any issues like that?

Did you upgrade an old OS to Windows 8 or is this a fresh install or a new computer ? Where do you have CMBN installed and do you only have one installation of CMBN ?

If the game is installed to the 'Program Files (x86)' directory, then you may want to launch CMBN by right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator". If you're moving files around with the File Manager, then you may also want to launch that with 'Run as administrator'. Typically if files get moved around the 'protected' directories you should get prompted for the action to complete.

Files that get written to 'protected' directories may instead be silently copied to the hidden 'VirtualStore' directory within your user account. Most programs should see these folders, but on occasion things may not work properly each time.

With Windows 8 it may be better to install the game into the 'My Documents/Documents' directory of your user account directories. There should be no issues with moving files around within there.

Thanks. I'll take a look when I get home. I believe it installed into My Docs, like it did on my old rig. This is a brand spanking new computer.

And I still hate Windows 8.

Game is installed in My Documents.

I got an E-mail file and placed it into the “Incoming E-mail” folder AND the “Saved Game” folder, just to cover my bases. When I started the game, I was given the option of going to :

Battle

QB

Campaign

Saved Game

Join Network Game

Options

Scenario Editor

End

There was no file in the Saved Game folder, when I accessed it from that screen and no option to go to Incoming E-mail.

What am I doing wrong?

Sign in to follow this