Gustav Line QB AAR Axis

GreenAsJade,

It appears as if Bil's got enormous Direct Fire capability, coupled with heavily armed infantry.

With so many MGs, not to mention cannon, at his disposal, yours is a ticklish task, despite your numerical superiority. If he catches one your units in tank LOS, it's going to smart. I therefore suggest you concentrate on eating his infantry one tasty morsel at a time, treating mass kills (infantry on TRP and 81s arrive) as a bonus.

Additionally, should the opportunity afford itself, your TRPs can make your MGs considerably more unpleasant for him. Pity there's no overhead fire for MGs, for you could dish out some hurt if there were.

Button his armor to limit its effectiveness, preferably by shooting the TCs! And since you're armor poor, kill his AT teams at every opportunity. He can afford to trade tanks. You can't. And you certainly can't afford to lose them to manportable antitank weaponry. Not without inflicting terrible casualties first!

Regards,

John Kettler

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears as if Bil's got enormous Direct Fire capability, coupled with heavily armed infantry.

With so many MGs, not to mention cannon, at his disposal, yours is a ticklish task, despite your numerical superiority.

Well, at least you're giving intel dumps to both sides :rolleyes:

GreenAsJade,

With so many MGs, not to mention cannon, at his disposal, yours is a ticklish task, despite your numerical superiority. If he catches one your units in tank LOS, it's going to smart. I therefore suggest you concentrate on eating his infantry one tasty morsel at a time, treating mass kills (infantry on TRP and 81s arrive) as a bonus.

Additionally, should the opportunity afford itself, your TRPs can make your MGs considerably more unpleasant for him. Pity there's no overhead fire for MGs, for you could dish out some hurt if there were.

Button his armor to limit its effectiveness, preferably by shooting the TCs! And since you're armor poor, kill his AT teams at every opportunity. He can afford to trade tanks. You can't. And you certainly can't afford to lose them to manportable antitank weaponry. Not without inflicting terrible casualties first!

Regards,

John Kettler

John, have you seen the Peanut Gallery thread for this battle? You might try jumping in there for a while. Neither Bil nor Green is allowed in that thread so you can be as free with the intel as you like over there.

Vanir Ausf B,

How am I giving intel dumps? He's already identified the presence of a bunch of tanks. Therefore, there's a very real DF threat. Further, all that armor has to come at the expense of something else. From this, given point limits, it's evident that German infantry is more numerous than the British, since we'll not be seeing Conscripts. Similarly, he's had an encounter with some sort of British infantry buzzsaw, upon which he commented regarding the lumps he took. Moreover, were the troop quality low, there almost certainly wouldn't have been the lone stalwart who refuses/refused to die. Further, I carefully chose my verb in describing his mortar attack on the presumptive Vickers. That intensity of fire, at least in the real world, would've almost certainly shredded the cooling jacket on the weapon, the cooling water container and badly hurt or killed the crew. I didn't say what'd happened, though.

GreenAsJade's nobody's dummy, so he must be keeping some sort of running tally of what's seen and where. From this, he'll derive a whole series of conclusions regarding Bil's probable force structure. The math is ineluctable. If Bil's got a lot of IDed armor in play, then he made that buy at the expense of other forces. It then follows that Bil can't have as much infantry, presuming he didn't buy low quality, and GreenAsJade would have some sense of that, having played Bil before (and probably read a bunch of his QB AARs). Since the Axis, given the fields of fire, can't readily, at this stage, engage so much armor, the logical choice is to attack Bil's perceived weakness: his infantry. The aforementioned buzzsaw showed the dangers of engaging close in, so the better approach would be to use ranged fire when possible, while denying Bil that option. To that end, mortaring the Vickers was a smart move. GreenAsJade needs to attack and digest Bil's force a bite at a time. To do otherwise risks very heavy, prompt casualties from the concentrated fires Bil's armor puts out. Ever seen a Stuart with all MGs going at once?

Unfortunately for me, I analyze others' moves and options far better than I do my own. And don't get me started on my method of play! It's far more intuitive than chesslike.

I don't believe I've broken OPSEC, but if so, my apologies to all.

ASL Veteran,

I was under the impression that neither was reading the other's posts, which is why I've said what I did, both here and in Bil's thread.

Regards,

John Kettler

^^^

Yeah, you have done some (limited) intel dumps. Let the players play. Ask away, but don't put information into your questions.

Good example:

"GaJ, how do you feel your tactics are working against the enemy tanks?"

Bad example:

"GaJ, how do you feel having to fend off Bil's veteran tank battalion which has direct sight onto all your areas of advance? Will you modify your advance once his air support comes into play?"

See? Both are somewhat tongue in cheek, but one is bad, one is good. Ask, participate, but if you cannot find where to draw the fine line needed, then go gonzo in the Peanut Gallery thread. Anything goes over there. (Both GaJ and Bil are prohibited from reading that.)

Onto the game: GaJ, MORE SCREENSHOTS!!! Please. ;)

It seems to me that the whole point of having a separate "peanut gallery" thread is make absolutely sure that no intel, even inadvertent, is passed to the players while the game is in progress.

Frankly, if I were playing, I would want the both the Axis and Allied official AAR threads limited to posts by the participants. That way nothing inadvertent can possibly happen.

c3k,Wodin, Vanir Ausf B, GreenAsJade,

CRITIC

Both sides have forces in combat.

END CRITIC

End Transmission

Happy now? On a more serious note, there must've been inadvertent data transfer, for which I apologize.

Regards,

John Kettler

FWIW, you aren't the only person whose posts have leaked a little, at least in my opinion. I really like the idea and implementation of the peanut gallery thread.

I'm bit torn on the topic of having open posting in these threads. Overall I'm in favour of it. I'm reasonably sure that the threads are being watched by the moderators, and a post would get deleted if it went out of bounds. If we made it all more serious and started protecting the threads etc it might make it all to much of a big deal.

It's nice to have the "company" in the thread - some feedback that the story is being enjoyed, some encouragement through the set backs.

GaJ

Given the fact that you are showcasing an upcoming product release, I think it is entirely appropriate to allow people to ask you questions about that product. I don't think it is the right place for people to engage you with serious questions or comments about your strategy and tactics until after the battle is resolved.

Given the fact that you are showcasing an upcoming product release, I think it is entirely appropriate to allow people to ask you questions about that product. I don't think it is the right place for people to engage you with serious questions or comments about your strategy and tactics until after the battle is resolved.

Concur. Although human nature being what it is, I too will probably slide over the line sooner or later.

:o

Michael

It seems to me that the whole point of having a separate "peanut gallery" thread is make absolutely sure that no intel, even inadvertent, is passed to the players while the game is in progress.

Frankly, if I were playing, I would want the both the Axis and Allied official AAR threads limited to posts by the participants. That way nothing inadvertent can possibly happen.

Best idea. Really. Unless the posts are only about game features and content NOT pertaining to the actual battle.

I'm enjoying this AAR as we haven't seen one for a while. There's a couple of things I have to say though. Firstly, I have only followed it from the GAJ side as I don't want to know what Bil is doing, will read all of his posts after the game.

Secondly, as a showcase of Italy it's not really showing much. There's nothing different from CMN, except German Para uniforms and I already know just how powerfull Brit Airborne units can be from the Normandy game.

As a showcase it would have been nice to see some of the new AA vehicles etc in action.

As for thie game in progress I think you (GAJ) need to start thinking about getting your armour into the game before its too late for them to make a difference. still a Bit to go though and so the time for panicky moves is not at hand yet!

Yes, just to confirm that I played the 1:08 turn, and took screenshots, and sent it t0 Bil to keep things moving, but haven't had a chance to report yet. I have the 1:07 turn from Bil waiting for me to look at it.

In the last 48 hours I:

- Got up at 6 am

- Went to 8 hour meeting near Stuttgart

- Drove for 2 hours to Frankfurt airport

- Flew for 13 hours to Singapore airport

- Flew for 7 hours to Sydney airport

- Flew for 2 hours to Adelaide airport

- Slept.

Hopefully action and reporting should resume from my side tomorrow, my time :)

GaJ

As for thie game in progress I think you (GAJ) need to start thinking about getting your armour into the game before its too late for them to make a difference.

The game isn't even 1/3rd of the way through. Far too early, in my opinion, to be talking about "too late" for anything (other than a good force selection :o ) ... those impatient for action should have petitioned for a shorter game and differently structured map ;)

Secondly, as a showcase of Italy it's not really showing much. There's nothing different from CMN, except German Para uniforms and I already know just how powerfull Brit Airborne units can be from the Normandy game.

Obviously Bil and I had to confront this idea when selecting forces. The design of this particular game was such that we could choose whatever we liked (within "1500 pts of airborne inf") ... that results in each of us trying to select the most competitive thing, which is unlikely to be the most exotic thing.

I guess this is food for thought for future demo AARs: maybe the forces need to be more controlled by the organiser, since the participants have to choose the best weapons they can :D

Cheers,

GaJ