Gustav Line QB AAR Axis

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, if I were mr. Hardenberger, my thoughts could be as follows: "Ehm.. well.. yes.. Could that last reply from Gaj mean that his selection will be the selection that the selectionscreen shows, or could it be that that selectionscreenselection doesn't represent his real selection at all? Did he pick something completely different? Or not?" (etc)

I see. Well, I have no suspicion that Bil's looking in here, but for clarification for you dear readers, my intention was that this selection screen shows you everything about my selection.

I have opened up one example of each unit in the Para Battalion that I have, so you can see what the details are, and I have left closed the rest. You can see which platoons of which company I left in and out.

If I had clicked on every plus, it would have run over one screen.

So you can see that I have 1 Para Battalion with 1 and a bit rifle companies plus 1 weapons company . I have one full company (5 company), which you can see consists of 3 platoons of FJs, each of which has a shek, a mortar and 3 squads. 6 Company is depleted, having only 2 platoons, and 7 Company is out. 8 Company, the weapons company, is stripped right back. It has only one of the HMG platoons, plus a couple of individual Medium Mortars added. (Whoa, darn it, I meant to bring a couple more HMGs oops!). There are a couple of PzIVH's assigned to the Battalion, and a couple of Mortar Sections, one of which is opened up to show that these contain 81mm off map mortars.

My Kimono is open!

GaJ

I see. Well, I have no suspicion that Bil's looking in here, but for clarification for you dear readers, my intention was that this selection screen shows you everything about my selection.

I have opened up one example of each unit in the Para Battalion that I have, so you can see what the details are, and I have left closed the rest. You can see which platoons of which company I left in and out.

If I had clicked on every plus, it would have run over one screen.

So you can see that I have 1 Para Battalion with 1 and a bit rifle companies plus 1 weapons company . I have one full company (5 company), which you can see consists of 3 platoons of FJs, each of which has a shek, a mortar and 3 squads. 6 Company is depleted, having only 2 platoons, and 7 Company is out. 8 Company, the weapons company, is stripped right back. It has only one of the HMG platoons, plus a couple of individual Medium Mortars added. (Whoa, darn it, I meant to bring a couple more HMGs oops!). There are a couple of PzIVH's assigned to the Battalion, and a couple of Mortar Sections, one of which is opened up to show that these contain 81mm off map mortars.

My Kimono is open!

GaJ

Very good reaction, but will mr. Hardenberger believe that?:D

Hmmm - what does that mean "cloak and dagger selection"?

"But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me."

Great movie.

"But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me."

Great movie.

And packed with sage advice: don't start a land war in Asia.

Great movie.

Here you go

Anyone noticed that when there are two dueling AAR threads on the forum the Axis side gets the preponderance of the Views? Often twice as many...

This one would appear to be the exception to the rule ;)

Right now for this one, the ratio swings back and forth depending on which one got a post in last. I think that the Allied one will leap ahead once Bil gets force selection & setup going. (I saw that he picked up the file from my Dropbox last night my time). Unless we keep chatting here while he's doing it :)

Yep. I have a sneaky feeling you are going to miss those HMGs.

Michael

I'll just have to make good use of the extra 81mm that this omission allowed me to buy, eh? :o

GaJ

This one would appear to be the exception to the rule ;)

I see that Hardenburger has 1264 views to your 2015 as of this posting. You're the Axis.

Perfectly understandable. Germans are the generally the underdogs the and posses that cool, Darth Vaderish appeal. Also their uniforms set the standard in WW2 haute couture. And the tanks: pure bada**ery.

Also, beware. The fact that Bil chose a Meeting Engagement means that he wants to WIN. ;)

I see that Hardenburger has 1264 views to your 2015 as of this posting. You're the Axis.

Perfectly understandable. Germans are the generally the underdogs the and posses that cool, Darth Vaderish appeal. Also their uniforms set the standard in WW2 haute couture. And the tanks: pure bada**ery.

Big LOL. In between my post and yours, this thread went from being behind to being ahead.

While what you say is true (and this is why I leaped for playing Axis :) I'm definitely the underdog :) (yelp!) ) I think that the thread-view rate will ultimately be determined by which player is most chatty, not which force they are playing :)

Also, beware. The fact that Bil chose a Meeting Engagement means that he wants to WIN. ;)

I think it will be BIG WIN for me if I have a single man left after 1.5 hours of fighting!!! :D

I've only ever played one other scenario this long, "CW The Mace". Absolutely top scenario, but it had a whole bunch of reinforcements 2/3rds of the way though, and HTs for resupply.

Thinks. Darn! I should have brought a truck!!!! Doh! The things you think of _after_ you hit send on the force selection!!!

GaJ

Big LOL. In between my post and yours, this thread went from being behind to being ahead.

While what you say is true (and this is why I leaped for playing Axis :) I'm definitely the underdog :) (yelp!) ) I think that the thread-view rate will ultimately be determined by which player is most chatty, not which force they are playing :)

I think it will be BIG WIN for me if I have a single man left after 1.5 hours of fighting!!! :D

I've only ever played one other scenario this long, "CW The Mace". Absolutely top scenario, but it had a whole bunch of reinforcements 2/3rds of the way though, and HTs for resupply.

Thinks. Darn! I should have brought a truck!!!! Doh! The things you think of _after_ you hit send on the force selection!!!

GaJ

Bah. The thread with the most views will be the one that posts the best screenies. (In my neck of the woods, that's what we call a hint). Bandwidth be damned, I want pictures -- why else would I pay for an upgrade in the FIOS speed? Surely not to cover the days I work from home.

That is a screenshot! You have already won the battle. Your opponent is afraid and has left the file for almost a day in a fruitless attempt to avoid the fight! With your obvious ascendancy in the morale field, your eventual battlefield victory is assured. Do not worry about tactics. All that is left is for you to attack. He will crumble.

OK, so here's the scenario...

(Completely fictitious, as you already know... don't read on if you are offended by fake history for atmosphere's sake!!)

The Allies have landed at Anzio! Our intel is that a new outstanding commander, General Bil Hard-Arse Lucas (*), has ordered an immediate push inland to strike behind our defensive lines at Cassino! Already the forward elements of Battalion of Red Devils is making it's way west through the hills towards Frosinone. Your orders are to interdict immediately - they must be stopped. You have most of a Battalion of our best (**) Fallschirmjaeger at your disposal, and the Batallion level 81mms are already calculating their support missions. It's up to you now.

(* Historically, IIUC, General Lucas refused this mission)

(** they always say that)

Scenario.jpg

Well, as I read this dispatch, the sun came out over the Frosinone hills, and suddenly it didn't look as dreary as I feared last night...

Parade.jpg

Nothing like a bit of sun to lift the spirits...

Here's the general plan:

Plan.jpg

Given no clue about where he'll approach or set up, and the diagnosis that the whole left hand side of the map is tough to defend...

1) Scout up the left hand side, because he may like the look of the valley on our side of MonteP. This could be a bit of a feint too, though he's unlikely to be distracted by it. This is 6 Company(-). I tossed up sending only one platoon on this mission, but ended up hoping that a bit more force there might be good hassle value to hinder him with. It's mission will be a success if we find out whether or not he's got substantial force over there, and a bonus if they help stop him set up around the saddle with the ruin.

2) Make a stronghold behind MonteG and Point 502. This is the Weapons Company

3) Try to deal with his own reverse slope strongholds by going through the small gap up the right flank.

4) Have Battalion HQ watching over MonteP and through to the Point 532 ridge. Some wombat back at base sent along a Batallion level on map mortar, so they might as well stay with Battalion HQ at the back right. I guess Gen Bil will be ready to shell this lookout position, but we might as well use it till that happens.

Turn sent.

(I really like Vin's icons, but dang it's confusing that the Green Devils have red icons and (you will see) the Red Devils have green icons. Vin... what were you thinking!? :D)

Yeah! Rah Rah! And... arrows! And stuff! :)

BTW, Christoff & Braun are both pretty pissed that the plan is to mess up their tracks driving through walls. I just couldn't risk them going the long way around along the road.

Tanks.jpg

... after a long argument, Christoff agreed to lead the way, but Bruan owes him one wall...