Gustav Line QB AAR Axis

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder whether things would have turned out better if I had left Braun sitting still instead of reversing him back :(

T24Spotted.png

T24Nothing.png

(note, that picture is with Braun deselected - he does not have the Sherm spotted, I deselected him so you can see the icon showing you where the Sherm is.)

T24Destroyed.png

Note the other Shermie coming into view over on P523. Darn!

I think he probably pulls it off with superior knowledge, planning and manoeuvring :)

Lots of nasty Piats came out of the woodwork that turn - he obviously has the area covered.

I am in dire straights over on the P523 valley. With that Sherman still on the MonteP plateau, I can't put Christoff in place to force the P523 Sherm backwards, so it's probably going to keep moving forwards largely unopposed and chew up my men in the valley.

I think those are Stens. Hitting 3 out of 4 targets at that range is... really, really good marksmanship with a SMG. Or really lucky.

Or why they would expect to kill it even if they hit it. I wish the TacAI would only fire mortars at soft skinned or open-topped vehicles without orders, and only stationary ones.

What was the range of the sten engagement?

Well, I've been driven back off the plateau, which really means that I'm a gonner.

Something that took me rather by suprise is the army that Bil has been able to bring up over MonteP without me spotting them.

I thought I had this whole area covered with binos from the back corner:

T25LOS.png

However, he was able to bring a bunch of PIAT wielding dudes up over there without me being aware that they were coming and thus without me doing anything about it.

With both PzIVHs gone from the plateau, his Shermie on P523 is free to keep coming over the top and thus he completely dominates the valley there. It seems like all that's left is for him to mop me up! On the left hand side it's definitely all over, unless by some miracle my PzIHV plugs his Stuart that has moved up the valley. On the right hand side, I might be able to put up a bit more of a defense in terms of "see how long I can stay alive" but with 4 tanks unchecked, there's not much I can do about anything!

GaJ

Well, it was a fun game, for the most part, but I'm certainly beaten now, so I've hit surrender.

I contemplated trying to see how long I could keep the force on the right alive, but I concluded there's not a lot of point: I'm clearly outnumbered and outclassed, so I'm calling it for what it is.

Very well done by Bil. It was clearly a mistake on my part to choose artillery over tanks in a meeting engagement - probably the mistake that doomed me. It was also a mistake to not stick to my plan - if I had the PzIVHs in support of my right flank, I might have been able to keep the tanks on P523 at bay and get close enough with Shreks & Fausts.

I also obviously have a lot to learn in plain old low level tactics.

So overall, obviously Bil is the better player - let's leave it at that for this one!

Hope you all enjoyed our AAR.

GaJ

Well, it was a fun game, for the most part, but I'm certainly beaten now, so I've hit surrender.

I contemplated trying to see how long I could keep the force on the right alive, but I concluded there's not a lot of point: I'm clearly outnumbered and outclassed, so I'm calling it for what it is.

Very well done by Bil. It was clearly a mistake on my part to choose artillery over tanks in a meeting engagement - probably the mistake that doomed me. It was also a mistake to not stick to my plan - if I had the PzIVHs in support of my right flank, I might have been able to keep the tanks on P523 at bay and get close enough with Shreks & Fausts.

So overall, obviously Bil is the better player - let's leave it at that for this one!

GaJ

You lost, and Bill may (or may not) be the better player, but you have no reason to hang your head. I'm sure you'd beat many on this forum. I know you'd obliterate me.

Thank you SO much to both you and Bill for sharing this journey with us, and doing such a fine job of it.

GaJ

You had men left and you surrendered? Arrrghhhh!!! That was the exact time to ATTACK!!! The AAR would've ended on a GLORIOUS note! And you could've held you head high: no one expects you to continue past the point that your last man has bled out. Well, mostly no one. There is always...me. ;)

I enjoyed it. I certainly would never consider one person a better player than another based on a single play of a single battle.

Now, after Bil accepts your surrender, get over to the Peanut Gallery thread and defend your honor!

Thanks again for doing this!

Ken

Good game GaJ, and thanks for taking the time to post nice screens with descriptions for this entertaining AAR.

I agree with your assessment that 2 tanks were not enough for this size map, and terrain. A little less arty, and a bit more armor could have made the difference.

Well done mate. Would have liked you to just done a huge attack from both sides..just to see what happened instead of surrendering..would have been fun to watch..and Bil would have wondered what the hell was going on!!

Would have smelled like desperation, but would indeed have been fun. ;)