Gustav Line QB AAR - Allied

c3k.. sorry I thought you were starting up another BETA QB AAR and entered your thread. Totally missed the "Peanut gallery" thing.. I thought you were basically saying, "Here is an AAR without that blowhard Bil or that lout GaJ.." ;)

I un-assed the AO as soon as I saw your explanation in the first post (good thing you started it like that). Heh.. good idea.. I look forward to reading it after the game is complete, I hope we give you guys plenty of fodder to fuel good deep discussions.

Bil

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bil,

Glad the multiple-layered warning caught you! That could've been ugly.

Have you given any thought to dismounting your tank crews? Get them up, low crawl, to use their binos? Hell, I'd think having a dismounted tank crew with handguns could single-handedly win the game!

Seriously, dismount is an option. It's only a bad idea if they get shot. :)

Ken

(Do you want pre-carping like this kept to a minimum?)

Bil,

Glad the multiple-layered warning caught you! That could've been ugly.

Have you given any thought to dismounting your tank crews? Get them up, low crawl, to use their binos? Hell, I'd think having a dismounted tank crew with handguns could single-handedly win the game!

Seriously, dismount is an option. It's only a bad idea if they get shot. :)

Ken

Nah.. I would rather they be kept nice and snug within their steel enclosures. If a tank gets killed then I'll send that crew against GaJ's hordes! But I'd hate for them to be dismounted and get hit with artillery or spotted by an HMG... that would really be a shame.

(Do you want pre-carping like this kept to a minimum?)

I don't mind the pre anything to be honest... the more chatter the better IMO.

Seriously, dismount is an option.

I recall waaaay back in the CMSF Beta dismounting a tank crew for the first time to do a little unobtrusive scouting on foot. I managed to get the drop on an Abrams for my effort. KABOOM! Heh heh. So dismount scouting certainly works. It suck, though, if the crew is spotted and killed by small arms fire. ;)

Did anyone else notice in the abrupt switch from winter to spring timeframe the Shermans also abruptly switched from mud & black camou to solid SCC15 green coloring?

How could we? The only pics I could find that might have contained the M&B camo had images so small and partially backlit so that making out the paint job was well-nigh impossible.

Michael

Most points where I checked LOS find my tanks in hulldown or partial hulldown positions... the example I captured in this image is not however.

8556424261_e4f6d0577e_b.jpg

My Sherman Platoon has a slow climb ahead of them to the top of their mountain.. they had yet to reach the summit by the end of the turn.

8558792741_905b8aa937_b.jpg

See the difference?

Bil,

This is great. Thanks to the two of you for putting this AAR up. I always follow them with great interest. Those hills look pretty damn rugged. Your paras must be thanking you for ferrying them into harms way so quickly, and in such style. After the rounds start flying they might be wishing they were still hiking slowly up the hill, muhahaha. :D

Heinrich505

--Make initial contact with small, mobile, self-contained forces to avoid decisive engagement of the main body on ground chosen by the enemy. This allows the commander maximum flexibility to develop the situation.

Third Minute

With my Stuarts in position they continue to be on the lookout for any movement in their sectors. Still no sign of movement.. I am expecting some truck or armor to be moving forward in these valleys... I will be bringing up some infantry in the next few turns to recon into them. That with my Stuart OP should unmask something.

Through the magic of Photoshop this image illustrates the main areas of interest.

8564242107_213ececbbb_b.jpg

Still no movement on my left either... there are some really good avenues of advance for GaJ here as well.. and in the following images you can see how I have them covered. My third Sherman I have dropped back down below the crest so it can reinforce either side as required.

Left side Sherman:

8564242119_72beef8a12_b.jpg

Right side Sherman:

8565342924_de96940964_b.jpg

I think those four tanks can now see into all of the main avenues of approach. They should easily spot any motorized traffic on those routes... infantry might be tougher to spot. Time will tell.

In the center my infantry starts to unload from their rides and move forward.. in this example the HMG section moves out and forward into their overwatch positions.

8564242137_219f715c8e_b.jpg

The first para section on the ground has been broken down into three detachments and is being sent forward to reconnoiter the center valley. This is the only infantry I will send in at this time.. I don't want to decisively engage.. I want information.

8565342938_1026af784e_b.jpg

--Keep forces within supporting distances to facilitate a flexible response.

The Fourth Minute

Very quiet again this turn.. I have a feeling that GaJ is maneuvering on foot.. else I would have seen some movement down the valleys on my right and center... either that or he's holding back waiting for me to come to him...

Looking at the map GaJ can come through the saddle on my left and around the right of point 502 pretty close to my Shermans. Hmmm... try and turn my flank? It's a possibility.. have to wait to see what the next turn tells us, but with no activity on my right and the center I am starting to get suspicious.

The paras in the center are pulling into their AO to begin their reccce mission next turn.

Here is that close up shot I promised of their uniform.. almost as nice as the FJ, yes?

8566088024_61824930a2_b.jpg

I am re-deploying my right hand Sherman to get better visibility...

8564991135_1f2d490296_b.jpg

I also wanted to show you my third Sherman and the options he has to react:

8566088004_ba98ac8730_b.jpg

Elsewhere some of my trucks have arrived back at HQ and will load next turn to deploy another Platoon, although I am thinking of keeping a mobile reaction force in the trucks, one para Platoon and the other HMG section (two HMGs).

I have started moving another Platoon to the right to help the Stuarts, and another to the left to back up the Shermans. The rest will stay towards the center, resting and ready to deploy either left, right, or up the middle as required.

The Fifth Minute

At the beginning of the turn my right side Sherman spotted something moving on the back ridge of one of the hills to the Stuart's front. He was moving in reverse at the time...

8566533828_8722a09eef_b.jpg

...but once he stopped and switched to Hunt mode he opened fire putting three rounds in the middle of this team. I didn't see any casualties but it was cowering on the hillside at the end of the turn.

8566533824_35121db42a_b.jpg

So GaJ does have something advancing on my right... still nothing else has been located. I do wonder about the decision to go over the top of these ridges with infantry.. they will be awfully exposed up there.

This Sherman will pause in place for a bit next turn then go ahead and move into the position I illustrated last turn.

My para section in the center will have two detachments in overwatch while the third moves carefully forward. So far there does not appear to be anything in the center valley.

8565437925_fd9928b015_b.jpg

Very cool to see a QB Meeting Engagement in a preview AAR for a change instead of a scenario. Meeting Engagements are my favorite battles so it is always interesting to see another players purchase choices, and strategy. I think Bil will find those trucks were a VERY good purchase giving him a logistical edge in this type of terrain. This looks like it could be a dynamic fight on this map.

Thanks for restarting with better lighting. It really improves the screen shots.

The Sixth Minute

Another quiet turn.. other than the one contact on my right I have seen nothing. My squad (called a section by the Brits) is already getting tired from their little movements in the center valley... movement is going to be very taxing on both sides.

I thought that this would be a good time for a situation overview...

...you can see how I have kept most of my force in the center where they can quickly (relatively) react to either side of the map. Using these interior lines (google it) I hope to get and maintain an advantage on GaJ's force.

Just because I have only had an enemy contact on my right does not mean that is where his main body is located. Unfortunately for the watchers this is taking some time to develop.. I apologize if it's getting boring for you who are looking on.

I do not want to commit my forces down one or two avenues of approach at this early stage in the battle.. once committed it is going to be very difficult to then reorient them.. especially as most of my force is on foot. I also want to keep my force together and react as a body, not as multiple components...

You hit somebody with your fist and not with your fingers spread.

Heinz Guderian

The map as it stands at this point:

8567715599_27d7f96393_b.jpg

Not boring at all. suspenseful!

While we await developments, can you share a bit about your contingency plans on either flank or center, should one of your patrol squads make contact and you determine that it's more than just an enemy scouting force?

+1 and on environmentals. Is it hot, windy, dry, damp? etc etc etc

Not boring at all. suspenseful!

While we await developments, can you share a bit about your contingency plans on either flank or center, should one of your patrol squads make contact and you determine that it's more than just an enemy scouting force?

+1 and on environmentals. Is it hot, windy, dry, damp? etc etc etc

Broadsword56..

--first of all I have to not jump to conclusions...

--secondly I will wait until the situation develops so I can make an educated guess as to where his main body is...

--third, I intend to attack where he is weakest and only defend where he is strong

I am not at a decision point yet.. once I see some evidence of how he is deploying then I will issue the appropriate movement orders to my forces. I do have some regrets that I didn't send a truck with a squad to each of the three main valley entrances so I could start my recon earlier.

The Seventh Turn

Contact Left!

As expected GaJ has poked his head around the corner on my left side.. that is a good place to come through as the distance that he would be exposed is shortest. However with a Sherman in overwatch he will have a hard time unless he has armor here... and even then I like my chances as my Sherman is hull down. My tank was targeting at the very end of the turn.. expect some fireworks next turn.

8569574070_99656be334_b.jpg

At this point I would like to disrupt GaJ's plan as much as possible.. to do that I am moving the HQ tank off the summit as I didn't really like where it stopped.. way too exposed... I am also moving Cruiser 1 around to the left to take up a hulldown position. this will place the HQ tank in reserve.

With any luck he will think this route too well guarded and be forced to re-deploy... that would have repercussions on the fitness of his units.. I'd like nothing better than to fight his FJ as tired or exhausted troops with my fresh Red Devils.

8569574146_b96ce0697a_b.jpg

On my right I now have an HMG Team deploying behind a little ridge that will keep them protected from anything GaJ has on my left yet provides a wonderful opportunity to sweep the forward slopes of the hills and the valleys that lie in front of my Stuarts.

8569574214_3cff0ff45d_b.jpg