Gustav Line QB AAR - Allied

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.

Ulysses S. Grant

Watch this space.

Myself and GreenAsJade are starting up a Gustav Line BETA AAR. This will be the thread where I will post my side of events.

This will be a medium QB, Meeting Engagement. Neither of us has bought our forces yet.. expect a good pre-battle analysis coming up in the next couple of days from me. Not sure what my opponent has planned. ;)

Bil

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be a medium QB, Meeting Engagement. Neither of us has bought our forces yet.. expect a good pre-battle analysis coming up in the next couple of days from me. Not sure what my opponent has planned. ;)

Bil

Excellent. Good to see a QB in an "official" AAR. :)

Less than a Regiment. ;)

Well, in fact that is what I assumed. But like I said, it's a big, complicated map. You could spend your whole time swanning around and never come to blows, though I assume you will. I think this game depends on both sides being determined to have a fight. Kind of like classical era wars up through the middle ages and even into Napoleonic times.

Michael

I suggested this map exactly because I really liked the covered avenues of approach, even though it looks wide open. I think it's going to be a very interesting fight personally and quite a challenge. I think its around 900m square... with that though I do expect sight lines to be very short and most firefights to be at arms length.. key will be to not walk into too many ambushes.

I played GaJ once before.. and though that battle was an easy victory for me I don't think it was a balanced scenario and when he was defending in anything like even odds he put up a good fight... so I expect good things from him in this battle. if nothing else he will be motivated to do well.. nobody wants to be embarrassed in a public AAR.

Bil

I played GaJ once before.. and though that battle was an easy victory for me I don't think it was a balanced scenario and when he was defending in anything like even odds he put up a good fight... so I expect good things from him in this battle. if nothing else he will be motivated to do well.. nobody wants to be embarrassed in a public AAR.

Bil

We all admire your guts. And his.

I suggested this map exactly because I really liked the covered avenues of approach, even though it looks wide open. I think it's going to be a very interesting fight personally and quite a challenge. I think its around 900m square... with that though I do expect sight lines to be very short and most firefights to be at arms length.. key will be to not walk into too many ambushes.

Bil

Hmm, the key will be to ATTACK EVERYWHERE!!! At once! With verve and elan. Remember what Sun Tzu said about the fog. (Or, I may be thinking about Mel Torme.) Nevermind. You know what we expect.

:)

Which side are you playing, Axis or Allies?

Michael

Jeez Louise Emrys... perchance you did actually *look* at the thread title before you clicked on it, didn't you???

Or is that just senility setting in? I understand that you might have already read the 7 previous posts. Perhaps that's what threw you.

Your ability to analyze and tactically use the ground around you (and to know how your enemy can use the same ground) can transform the terrain into a valuable ally.

I am going to do a down and dirty high level terrain analysis here. At this point all I am interested in is identifying the key pieces of terrain and the main avenues of advance.

First of all this is mountainous terrain, devoid of most cover (other than that presented by the covered approaches caused by LOS dead zones, intervening elevation, etc.), as is about 1 square kilometer.. or it encompasses a grid square in size.

This image illustrates how I have identified the main avenues of advance (in red), the key pieces of terrain (Key Terrain) for this battle.. he who controls these terrain features should be able to control the flow of the battle.

8555220664_a7f521f1bd_b.jpg

KT1 I feel is the most important piece of terrain on the map.. almost all of the covered approaches (red areas) converge on this one spot.

KT2, KT3, and KT 4 will play an important role for me in the opening phases of the battle.

KT5, and KT6 lie closer to my opponents side of the map, so of course I expect him to place some kind of firepower on them as soon as he can.. perhaps a tank or two.

The hills are mostly flat plateaus.. this will make it tough to hide combat elements on top of them.. especially from anything placed on KT2, which is the highest point on the map.

Now with all this in mind I am of course aware that my opponent could indeed approach over the back sides of some of these hills and ridge-lines... I do feel that this could be exhausting for his troops though, unless he spends some precious points on transport. We will see very soon I think.

Here are a couple images showing the map from my side of the field:

8555220600_c2d866f527_b.jpg

8555220556_8d5091b966_b.jpg

Next: My Unit Purchases.. stay tuned.

Jeez Louise Emrys... perchance you did actually *look* at the thread title before you clicked on it, didn't you???

It was one of those oops moments. I only noted Bil's name and that it was an AAR when I read the title. After I posted and went back to the top of the page I noticed that it mentioned Allied. Too late. Considering the hundreds of totally egregious errors I notice in the pages but don't even bother to mention, I don't feel too bad about it.

Michael

This map looks kind of dreary. We'd better get some Fallschirmjagers. Or at least an Elefant or two. ;)

Definitely; why don't you guys change the weather, time of day, and/or season to show off the graphics better?

Also, can you make the map available in the Repository so that we can view it in 3D, or are there terrain features only available in the new module?

The surprise is half the battle. Many things are half the battle, losing is half the battle. Let's think about what's the whole battle.

David Mamet

Okay, here are my unit purchases. I purposely went without any indirect weapons... I wanted to maximize my direct fire capability as I have a feeling that getting a good indirect spot is going to be a challenge in this game and I really dislike firing blind.

The Parachute Companies are pure infantry.. I stripped out all of their inherent support (snipers, AT teams etc.).

I wanted to get enough armor to make a difference.. I have no clue what GaJ is going to field armor wise and I wanted to maximize that aspect of my force.. and I did not want to drag around AT guns to provide that long range AT role so went with three Shermans and two Stuarts to give me some recon punch.

This is the force I will be fighting in this scenario:

8556502606_bdde52e32b_b.jpg

Next: My plan of action