I Hope This Is a Bug and Not a Dumb Design Decision

That would depend on whether the "aiming AI" leads the moving target deliberately, and if it does, how it determines the degree of aim-off to apply.

Actually, it could be as simple as giving a lessened chance to anyone shooting at a moving target.

As an old PnP roleplayer, my mind immediately goes to a "-25% chance to hit because of moving target" place :)

So It doesnt have to be as elaborate as the AI leading the moving target and stuff like that, it might just simply be a lessened chance to hit anything that is moving.

Would be interesting to know if it is harder to hit a faster moving target than a slower moving one :)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is an interesting question, but I have no idea. I have never tested what effect target movement has on accuracy under any circumstance. I'm curious about it, but I think that type of test would be very time consuming.

Could that be done by tweaking the original test by giving the German tanks a move order with indefinite pause and see what happens?

Actually, it could be as simple as giving a lessened chance to anyone shooting at a moving target.

No, it couldn't, since that's precisely how CMx2 doesn't work.

As an old PnP roleplayer, my mind immediately goes to a "-25% chance to hit because of moving target" place :)

How many PnP games tracked bullet flight time? One, that I can think of. And even that didn't model the actual trajectory of the rounds fired.

So It doesnt have to be as elaborate as the AI leading the moving target and stuff like that, it might just simply be a lessened chance to hit anything that is moving.

Yes it does (or it doesn't if they don't actually lead, but rely on high velocity and short engagement ranges together with "error bars" to hit a moving target).

I'd've thought you'd've seen threads where this sort of thing (that there's no "percent chance to hit") has been mentioned; you've certainly been around long enough.

No, it couldn't, since that's precisely how CMx2 doesn't work.

How many PnP games tracked bullet flight time? One, that I can think of. And even that didn't model the actual trajectory of the rounds fired.

Yes it does (or it doesn't if they don't actually lead, but rely on high velocity and short engagement ranges together with "error bars" to hit a moving target).

I'd've thought you'd've seen threads where this sort of thing (that there's no "percent chance to hit") has been mentioned; you've certainly been around long enough.

I don't read much since I have dyslexia.

So the long-winded threads about technicalities tend to slip me by.

Although the fact that tanks that are not moving, but have a move order, keep missing more than stationary ones makes me feel like there is a bit of "hit percentages" stuff going on under the hood, and its not all just pure ballistics...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eb29rftquo7e84o/JSi0mfsbLR/Paused%20Movement%20Accuracy.btt

"Paused Movement Accuracy" is the scenario file.

I ran this in hotseat mode, iron difficulty.

1) Unbutton the Stuarts for quicker spotting.

2) Give the Tigers short covered arcs so they don't shoot back.

3) Let it run for a turn or two until all of the Stuarts have scored at least one hit. You'll notice that after that, accuracy on following shots is at or near 100%.

4) After letting the accuracy firm up for a turn or two give the Stuarts a move order directly forward, but also give them an indefinite pause so that they never move. I used Fast but it seems to work with any move order.

5) Note how accuracy suddenly drops to below 50% and stays there until the movement orders are deleted, at which point accuracy shoots back up to 100%.

Thanks, but I went ahead and ran a comparison of my own. 10x Cromwells shooting at 10x Panthers at 800m. All cromwells were unbuttoned, 5 had no orders, 5 had FAST movement orders with permanent PAUSE. I ran this several times and did not notice any difference between the two groups. Both typically took 2-3 shots to get on target, then had 100% accuracy from that point on. I see no reason to think the issue is not fixed now.

Vanir

Does the reverse apply as well?The targeted tank that has a fast move plotted with a 1:15 pause and is not actualy moving, is that tank now extremely hard to hit because the ai thinks it is moving fast?

Could that be done by tweaking the original test by giving the German tanks a move order with indefinite pause and see what happens?

BTW, out of curiosity I went ahead and tested this. Giving the targeted tanks paused movement orders has no effect on the accuracy of units shooting at them. The reason(s) for this is impossible to know without establishing some sort of control group.