258 new force specific backgrounds

Yes, my bad....again. ... Sorry

I apologise too - I seem to have started a trend of picking the eyes out of these pictures. That wasn't my intent :( I was flicking through the individual images, and making note of anything odd or amusing that I noticed.

Like Winkelreid, I have these installed :)

Thanks for the mod

Jon

Awesome work umlaut! does anyone know if theres a limit to how many force specific backgrounds one can have?

When I made this mod I was a bit nervous if the game would only allow up pic no. 99. But as you can see, we´re now into three digit numbers, so I would imagine that we can have at least up to no. 999. But I guess only a test or an reply from BFC will clarify that.

If any of you should want to make your own Force Specific Backgrounds, here´s how to do it:

Save the pic as a bmp-file with the dimensions 1024x768 pixels.

The highest numbers of my force-specific backgrounds are 147 for the germans (red) and 171 for the allies (blue). So in order to add to these you should number them sequentially from there, IE:

The next german pic should be named force-specific background red 148

The first next allied pic should be named force-specific background blue 172

You can then place your bmp in your z-folder or - if you have a collection of FSBs - pack them with rezpack before you place them in the z-folder.

It would be nice if you would also upload them to greenasjade´s site (and to the repository if the files do not exceed 100 MB). :)

Cheers

When I made this mod I was a bit nervous if the game would only allow up pic no. 99. But as you can see, we´re now into three digit numbers, so I would imagine that we can have at least up to no. 999. But I guess only a test or an reply from BFC will clarify that.

It would be nice if you would also upload them to greenasjade´s site (and to the repository if the files do not exceed 100 MB). :)

Cheers

will do, after skimming thru my pics see that i have maybe 50 or so Blue pics i could help add to your mod. Maybe just as many Red i have to check what you have already. pretty cool feature if one can have that many different pics always something new to look at while you wait.

red 24 for sure is Fallschirmjager in Italy.

Might be, I didn´t add it. Pics 9 through 28 are from Jim Rinkenbergers first set of additional force-specific background. I included those to avoid numbering problems for those who hadn´t installed Jim´s pics.

Looking forward to seeing for pics :)

umlaut, I'm happily using your images, and have one suggestion: I find the red captions on the images quite hard to read, partly I think because of their small size, and possibly because I'm a bit R-G colourblind. I'm not sure what colour would be better - black or white or shades of grey would merge into the black and white photos. Yellow is too close to white (and would therefore merge too, I think). A lot of blues are too close to black. Etc. Maybe bigger, and with a contrasting dropshadow or contrasting and partly transparent backing?

Jon:

I used red for exactly the reason you state above: I figured it would be the color that would stand out most clearly. After I had made the first few backgrounds I noticed that the red text was still a bit hard to read - so I did add a black background shadow to make it more readable.

Do you also have problems reading the ones with the shadow? If so, I can try to make the text a bit bigger in the next addition. But I have to strike a balance to ensure that the text doesn´t dominate the picture too much.

• 4 years later...

Just thought I'd share this funny experience: This summer the family and I spent some of our vacation in Normandy (guess who came up with that brillant idea?). And as we were entering Cherbourg I noticed a place and a sign from one of the photos I used in the background set.

I of course had to go back and take a picture - and try editing it in with the original:

skilt2.jpg

On the way there I realised that another of the photos in the set was taken in the same street (Avenue de Paris, IIRC), so I took another photo - with my kids standing in for the GI's.

gade2.jpg

Edited by umlaut
typo

14 hours ago, umlaut said:

Just thought I'd share this funny experience: This summer the family and I spent some of our vacation in Normandy (guess who came up with that brillant idea?). And as we were entering Cherbourg I noticed a place and a sign from one of the photos I used in the background set.

I of course had to go back and take a picture - and try editing it in with the original:

skilt2.jpg

On the way there I realised that another of the photos in the set was taken in the same street (Avenue de Paris, IIRC), so I took another photo - with my kids standing in for the GI's.

gade2.jpg

These look great, thanks for sharing them with us.

• 2 weeks later...