CM: Shock Force 2 Wish List

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 and for all CM2 titles.

Yep, perhaps it´s time to stop the machine and publish an universal patch (or several of them) for all CMX2 titles including a selection of the small changes or improvements suggested in this thread. Major changes can be applied for CMX3.

For sure I would buy every CMX2 game (guess I wouldn´t be the only one :D) because they won´t get outdated. I firmly believe it is a good option for Battlefront and the community.

Suggestion of the day :) Artificial ilumination in night scenarios and possibility to set it in the editor. Lamposts, burning vehicles, buildings or even some areas can have an effective source of light. Of course units in these areas can be easily spoted from outside. The strategies (and fun :D) in night battles would be endless.

Why is slow so damn exhausting, yet quick, so effortless, even for heavily encumbered soldiers?

That s probably because all US teams are fit. If you are playing with Syrian 2nd line troops or rebels that arent just more than armed civillians, they get tired only after only 50 - 100 meters of moving quick if their fitness-rating (as usually with those troops) is -1 or even -2. In hot weather units with -2 fitness almost cant use the quick command at all, they get tired immideatly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

2. A supress area command in order for units to supress a larger area. (similar to target arc except the command would order the units to begin firing on the selected area)

That was one of my endless wishes :rolleyes: An area target for units in the same shape than artillery: linear target (for trenches) and area target (circle).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure this thread hasn't descended into obscurity but thought I would make a few points/suggestions.

1. As I am sure Battlefront staff are aware Caspian Sea area is now a major "training environment" for the US military at least as far as simulations go (live and virtual). So anything in that general AO has some real world potential for interest from the boys with the govt pocketbooks.

2. A future NATO/Russia conflict may very well include chem use, massive numbers of displaced civilians, and a substantial insurgent threat. (Ok, now try to not pull your hair out thinking of all the potential code ramifications of that. Yeah, there are very good reasons why we don't go to war anymore. Well, unless you're a republican from Texas.)

3. UAVs are seriously misunderstood. They are very specific in their feedback and very operator focused. You wouldn't be able to throw one up and immediately gain SA on 25-50% of the game map. The only semi realistic way to simulate them would be as an icon that the player has to give waypoint movement orders to. As the icon moves across the map the player gains SA in a 50-100m cone (Its the camera lens not the aircraft that provides the feedback). As soon as he moves away from a contact that info goes stale, quickly. It should be possible to lock the icon(UAV) on a particular target and have it follow it, but thats the only way to gain live SA. If you want to simulate larger (i.e. higher) UAV assets than you will just get a huge picture with very little definition (think groups of vehicles and masses of personnel, not individuals or identified weapon systems. Those images can be zeroed in to smaller focus but you immediately lose SA on the bigger picture. Tradeoffs. Despite the media buzz, UAVs are not that big of a game changer. Oh yeah, any UAV within range can get shot down rather easily. (more coding...)

4. I would like to see a greater ability to task organize units. Currently, subordinates are hard coded to their headquarters. You can get around this by adding teams and weapon systems to a formation but I want to be able to take a Combined Arms Battalion and create Combat Teams by cross attaching multiple Bradley Platoons and a Tank Platoon and vice versa, each under a unique Company Headquarters. Or the next step, Split a Tank Platoon among the rifle platoons of a Bradley Company, with the Tank under the direct C2 of the Platoon Leader.

Not sure this thread hasn't descended into obscurity but thought I would make a few points/suggestions.

1. As I am sure Battlefront staff are aware Caspian Sea area is now a major "training environment" for the US military at least as far as simulations go (live and virtual). So anything in that general AO has some real world potential for interest from the boys with the govt pocketbooks.

2. A future NATO/Russia conflict may very well include chem use, massive numbers of displaced civilians, and a substantial insurgent threat. (Ok, now try to not pull your hair out thinking of all the potential code ramifications of that. Yeah, there are very good reasons why we don't go to war anymore. Well, unless you're a republican from Texas.)

3. UAVs are seriously misunderstood. They are very specific in their feedback and very operator focused. You wouldn't be able to throw one up and immediately gain SA on 25-50% of the game map. The only semi realistic way to simulate them would be as an icon that the player has to give waypoint movement orders to. As the icon moves across the map the player gains SA in a 50-100m cone (Its the camera lens not the aircraft that provides the feedback). As soon as he moves away from a contact that info goes stale, quickly. It should be possible to lock the icon(UAV) on a particular target and have it follow it, but thats the only way to gain live SA. If you want to simulate larger (i.e. higher) UAV assets than you will just get a huge picture with very little definition (think groups of vehicles and masses of personnel, not individuals or identified weapon systems. Those images can be zeroed in to smaller focus but you immediately lose SA on the bigger picture. Tradeoffs. Despite the media buzz, UAVs are not that big of a game changer. Oh yeah, any UAV within range can get shot down rather easily. (more coding...)

4. I would like to see a greater ability to task organize units. Currently, subordinates are hard coded to their headquarters. You can get around this by adding teams and weapon systems to a formation but I want to be able to take a Combined Arms Battalion and create Combat Teams by cross attaching multiple Bradley Platoons and a Tank Platoon and vice versa, each under a unique Company Headquarters. Or the next step, Split a Tank Platoon among the rifle platoons of a Bradley Company, with the Tank under the direct C2 of the Platoon Leader.

Just looking at news Kiev is becoming hot as Ukraine protests are ramping up. A future NATO/Russia conflict or simply strike a defiant tone, blame the victims for their own deaths as they are now "terrorists" threatening the lives of ordinary citizens in Kiev.

Careful, you're going to have the NSA knocking on our doors.

Russia has obviously expressed deep concern for what they still consider a satellite state. Historically they have not been above doing what they want to protect that vision. I think when they look around and do their analysis they will find very little to deter them from doing what they like in their backyard.

So, yes CMSFv2 is very, very desirable and Ukraine would make a very viable, relevant and interesting AO. The really interesting point would be how the scenario developers keep the conflict regional and to what level of "total war" the combatants go to. When it comes to two tier one class opponents going at it (NATO vs Russia), space (not the sky) is literally the limit. With effects all the way to the tactical level. I cant imagine the US Army having to operate at this time without satellites, but destroying or limiting their use is within easy reach of any tier one opponent and vice versa.

Strength and capability is always the best deterrent for war. Anyone with the slightest bit of knowledge in modern warfare will always end up concluding its better to just rely on other means to achieve your goals. (Alternates are currently working well with Iran, for example.)