• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them
iMolestCats

CM performance thread

Hister,

After looking at your picture, I decided my test weren't run correctly. I had always left Barkmann's unit selected when running the test. (green icon under the unit) I ran a test to confirm that this would make a difference. This test is in Iron mode, so it makes a big difference in what icons and units are visible when running the test.

All settings as per the original test for me.

Balanced Barkmann selected

2013-03-19 20:19:45 - CM Normandy

Frames: 2140 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 35.667 - Min: 28 - Max: 43

Frames: 2140 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 35.667 - Min: 29 - Max: 41

Frames: 2145 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 35.750 - Min: 29 - Max: 41

Balanced Barkmann unselected (right click map)

2013-03-19 20:23:38 - CM Normandy

Frames: 1795 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 29.917 - Min: 25 - Max: 34

Frames: 1806 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 30.100 - Min: 25 - Max: 34

Frames: 1812 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 30.200 - Min: 25 - Max: 34

Proper testing is done by having the vehicle locked in the view so that camera moves as it's turret moves. Those two screens I posted were not meant for testing but just to show the difference between two distinct graphical settings in nvidia control panel. I've missed your post before so sorry for that.

;1430470']

Editing a large or huge map in the editor puts quite a strain on the PC as evidenced by chugging scrolling. Shouldn´t the map size be irrelevant in the editor? it´s just little colored squares, not 3D calculations.

I'd like to second that. I was editing Macisles White Manor map (of medium map size). As soon as I zoom out to medium or beyond the mouse pointer and even the colour pulsing animation of the setup zones are getting really, really slow. Zooming back in and all is fine.

Is that a common problem?

Hello,

For ATI radeon users, there is some settings in ATI Catalyst Control center.

You can set some special patterns for CMFI and CMBN games.

Such as Antializing filters, OpenGL Accelaration etc.

This patterns are automatically activated when the games started. And the loading times are affected by this setups very positively manner.

Try them

Regards.

Hello,

For ATI radeon users, there is some settings in ATI Catalyst Control center.

You can set some special patterns for CMFI and CMBN games.

Such as Antializing filters, OpenGL Accelaration etc.

This patterns are automatically activated when the games started. And the loading times are affected by this setups very positively manner.

Try them

Regards.

Could you give more details on the settings for ati radeons?

I've been away from CMBN for a while but I've been into the series since CMBO. I've decided to come back and play around with it, maybe MG got me interested again. It's one of those long term hobby games I keep coming back to. Since my hardware has changed since when CMBN just came out I decided to do some new testing. Unfortunately things are still pretty poor on the performance side, maybe someone has some new tweaks?

CMBN v2.1

FRAPS RESULTS

minimum - maximum - average framerate:

Frames: 2476 - Time: 64475ms - Avg: 38.402 - Min: 30 - Max: 50

SETTINGS

Screen resolution of the game:1920x1080

In game model quality:improved

In game texture quality:best

Shadows on/off:on

Shaders on/off: on

Trees (full/distant): full

Vsync on/off: on

Antialiasing on/off: on

High Priority on/off: on

GRAPHICS CARD SETTINGS

Ambient Occlusion: Not supported for this application

Anisotropic filtering: 16x

Antialiasing - FXAA: Off

Antialiasing - Gamma Correction: On

Antialiasing - Mode: Enhance the application setting

Antialiasing - Setting: 8X CSAA

Antialiasing - Transparency: 8X (supersample)

CUDA - GPUs: All

Double Precision: None

Maximum pre-rendered frames: Use the 3D application settings

Multi-display/Mixed-GPU Acceleration: Single display performance mode

Power Management Mode: Adaptive

Texture Filtering - Anisotropic Sample Optimization: Off

Texture Filtering - Negative LOD Bias: Clamp

Texture Filtering - Quality: High Quality

Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimization: Off

Threaded Optimization: Auto

Triple Buffering: On

Vertical Sync: Use the 3D application settings

HARDWARE

Manufacturer + model: DIY

CPU: i7-2600k@4.2GHz

Mainboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Graphics card (overclocked?): EVGA GTX Titan (327.23 WHQL)

Graphics memory: 6GB

VOLUNTARY ADDITIONAL DATA

We know Antialiasing, Antialiasing - Transparency and Anisotropic filtering don't really have a big negative effect, in fact you might even gain a few fps as you turn it up. So we are back to the basic engine just having a hard time, especially with shadows and setting In game model quality: above "improved".

Any other news on this front or am I, even with my Titan and i72600@4.3GHz doomed to low fps if I want to play CMx2 engine games?

Thanks!

On the Arnhem bridge scenario bit of chuggfest here Phenom Ii X3 2.8ghz 8gb ram, CMBN Series on ssd hdd with os Windows 7, Radeon 6870 1gb vram. Think sheer size of map content lags it. Any optimizing tips appreciated . Will not be upgrading unitl spring/summer 2014 I am still enjoying CM goodness.

I think it has come that the Graphic engine being used is not doing BF any favours. Buy looking at some of the posters Specs its becoming laughable :) I REALIZE that the bulk is CPU intensive with all the calculations the AI does but on some maps BEFORE i even press play some maps Chug like old puffing Billy. Look at Achtung Panzer Operation Star. LOOKS wonderful and seems to generate the same sort of Calculations to determine hits etc, Runs GREAT on my rig. Not sure of how bigger differences there are. I'm a noob in that area.

I think it has come that the Graphic engine being used is not doing BF any favours. Buy looking at some of the posters Specs its becoming laughable :) I REALIZE that the bulk is CPU intensive with all the calculations the AI does but on some maps BEFORE i even press play some maps Chug like old puffing Billy. Look at Achtung Panzer Operation Star. LOOKS wonderful and seems to generate the same sort of Calculations to determine hits etc, Runs GREAT on my rig. Not sure of how bigger differences there are. I'm a noob in that area.

It doesn't use the same calculations. Die rolls versus actual ballistic / penetration modeling. The Tactical AI, especially for infantry, isn't even comparable. We've been over this exhaustively in the past. So... no, not at all the same.

Looks like MG lowers the performance again ....

Even high end hardware strugles to get reasonable framerates.

Odd. We made several optimizations this time around. The game runs 5-10% faster on my rather old, rather crappy machine. Please try messing around with your driver settings - my guess is you're hitting a rough implementation of something we're using on ATI's or Nvidia's end. That happens with their OpenGL stuff.

I'm swimming upstream on this one, I have a Core2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66Ghz / 3,25 GB of some slow-ass RAM due to 32bit Win7 / Nvidia 8800 GT.

It's a 7 year old computer and 2.10 runs buttery-creamy-smooth compared to earlier versions...I'm able to play larger scenarios than I used to, even master map scale stuff runs playable.

Odd. We made several optimizations this time around. The game runs 5-10% faster on my rather old' date=' rather crappy machine. Please try messing around with your driver settings - my guess is you're hitting a rough implementation of something we're using on ATI's or Nvidia's end. That happens with their OpenGL stuff.[/quote']

Hi Phil what would be the recommended driver settings for ATI/AMD cards.

Odd. We made several optimizations this time around. The game runs 5-10% faster on my rather old, rather crappy machine. Please try messing around with your driver settings - my guess is you're hitting a rough implementation of something we're using on ATI's or Nvidia's end. That happens with their OpenGL stuff.

Performance killer nr.1 are the shadows

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?file=2f8b03-1381782975.jpg without 33

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?file=f62993-1381782988.jpg with 16

It doesn't use the same calculations. Die rolls versus actual ballistic / penetration modeling. The Tactical AI, especially for infantry, isn't even comparable. We've been over this exhaustively in the past. So... no, not at all the same.

Ok fair enough mate. Sorry don't read all posts in all topics etc. I was just saying from an outside view. BUT i think my point on the Graphic engine is STILL valid. It is out dated and needs a fresh coat of paint:). It has served you well, needs an overhaul.

Ok fair enough mate. Sorry don't read all posts in all topics etc. I was just saying from an outside view. BUT i think my point on the Graphic engine is STILL valid. It is out dated and needs a fresh coat of paint:). It has served you well, needs an overhaul.

A new engine (assuming we had the programmer time to do it) isn't going to be magically faster, not in the use cases we're shooting for. We'd have to dumb down the simulation to make room for the fresh coat of paint.

APOS sacrifices simulation for graphics. We don't. Each approach to the genre is valid in my opinion, but we can't just wave our hands and get the best of both worlds.

I haven't noticed any difference in frame rate but the turn calculations -- the blue bar -- is much faster than in 2.01 on my computer.

Yes, I've also noticed a substantial speed up in turn calculation under certain circumstances (lots of firefights across the map, at medium-long distances).

Even if it is CPU usage and not GPU with my system the CPU is usually hanging around 20-25% or less usage and I have a Titan GPU that is barely even being used. Shadows are for sure the biggest fps killer, often cutting them in half. To be honest you'd think with my system I'd be getting a constant 60fps in a game like CMx2 but I don't, I'm usually around 20-30fps. And of course my system has no issues with 60fps in other games at max or near max settings, I know that doesn't mean too much but it shows that there is nothing intrinsically wrong with my setup.

Specs: (quick)

i7-2600K@4.2GHz

Asus P8Z68-V Pro

EVGA GTX TITAN

8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series

Asus VE276Q 27

SB X-fi

Samsung 830 SSD, Crucial M4 250 SSD, WD 6400AAKS, Lite-On 12X BD-R iHBS212-08

Win7 Pro 64bit

For what it's worth, still no real performance improvement on this end following MG installation. Turns process a little fast but the FPS count remains relatively low given my system specs. (See above)

Hasn't there been an update of Open GL recently? Has this filtered through to the new drivers from Nvidia/AMD yet? I haven't noticed. I'm also concerned FRAPS itself maybe a culprit in slowing down the game somewhat when it's running in the background, but that's just a hunch. Are there any plans to implement an ingame FPS counter that can be toggled on/off for quick reference?

Updates to OpenGL generally don't bring performance enhancements, per se. Also, they wouldn't help existing games, usually, as existing games generally aren't written to those specs. What performance enhancements there might be would usually come in the form of new technology that rendering pipelines would need to be changed to use.

FPS is only one part of the equation. Higher-end cards likely won't see a huge FPS improvement with our optimizations - the game still has to do a ton of work in total per frame, and the GPU is still going to be bottlenecked by that. What you may see is draw distance improvements, etc., as the rendering pipeline has to do less busy work and can be asked for a bit more in terms of image quality.

HELP - I have been changing some Nvidia control panel settings and now the text in the game is very burry (and seems to move in and out of focus) this is particularly bad on the options screen and QB setup screen and no matter what i do i cannot get rid of this. Has anyone else had this issue????