"Sand table" Hybrids available

Sgt Schultz

I have been constructing hybrids for the last few months to play with my bud sublime. More than a QB, less than a scenario. Fictional tactical problems that are more akin to a sandtable exercise than any actual historical battle.

I took maps that are available in the repository and tweaked them for the mission, as well as "troweling" out dimples and pimples etc.

Constructed balanced combined-arms forces for each side.

Placed some on map to start, with the rest coming on at 15 and 30 minutes.

Scoring Example - The Big Meet -

Total Terrain Objectives = 400 points(four 100 point areas)

Total Destroy Points = 600 points (300 troops, 300 vehicles)

Forces are reasonable, but a tad vanilla. Global Reg/High/0 with +1 leaders type of thing. FOs and off-map assets are Vet to facilitate accuracy and timing.

Reinforcements come on as complete C2 nets. usually a short or complete company, with a short platoon of armor and some more mortars.

I have two complete, and three older maps with my notes to re-constitute if needed. Or you can look at what I have done and order one to taste.

The Big Meet - "Major" level -Modified Maltot map, with forests dividing up the four built up areas. Recon Companies meet, with short companies and armor backing them up. One hour, and seven platoons with more than enough room.

The "Tapas" Assault - "Brigadier" level - 1h20m+ German assault against Canadians, with river crossing, on a modified version of the map that the now-famous 20k battle is being played on. Germans have a little of just about everything against a network of ATGs, PIATs, HMGs, mines, etc. 6-3, 9-5, 12-7 platoon v platoon odds at start, 15 and 30 minutes. By 30 minutes it is doubtful either will still be at full strength though. :)

There are no uber-units, or platoons of King Tigers, or any of that silliness.

Nothing is placed, other than the reinforcements that are placed in reasonable road-march or open-field spread configurations in the logical places. You get the problem, the force, and the timetable. You take it from there.

I did set the wayback machine for 1945 and constructed some special platoons for the Germans. Example - One squad w/shrek, 4 scout teams, 1 breach team, 2 LMG teams. SMG/Sturmgruppe platoon. The Allies get a spare Ma Deuce or two, and other items, to compensate.

Both sides have modified "Recon" Companies. Each platoon has one squad stripped and two scout teams added. Allows everyone to fit in one less hannomag. This is what is on the map at start.

Recon armor platoon is usually a tank HQ(connected to all other armor C2) with a mixed wheeled(M8/Puma) and light armor(Stuart/Lynx) platoon on map at start.

Medium tanks come on later.

---------------

I will not upload these to the warehouse or repository without briefings and other finished work. These are just for fun and tactical training, unless one catches on enough to warrant final work.

These are attempts to make using larger forces less of a task, by introducing them onto the battlefield in waves, and into a situation where they fit right in. By the time they show you will be screaming for them, instead of being too scared to attempt to control that many.

The contrived weather conditions allow good training for smoke use. Light, right across the battlefield.

The transport vehicle numbers and timing allows for reinforcement shuttle service practice, from the front back to the rear, back to the front lines... as well as carrying ammo for those later forces.

The others that I can remake are all in the 5-8 platoon range, with corresponding amounts of transport and armor. A company of troops gets a short 'toon of armor of some sort.

-------------

If anyone has a battle buddy and thinks this may be of interest, let me know with a PM and I will email you any battle you wish. If you wish to send me force selections and a map, I can set it up with scoring and reinforcements to reduce the "QB Blob" effect, and get a more tactically challenging experience by making the Destroy Points greater than the Terrain points.

The maps are just sitting there. Come and get 'em.

:)

-