Turn by Turn: The Story of Battlefront

z1812

Spot on Wicky (as usual) and somebody appears to own TANK:D

I am very impressed with the decades HARD WORK & Perseverance reported in the Battlefront Story. Even better WE all get great products resulting from Charles & Steve's and Martins & (more than I know) "tenacity". Thanks.

I do take umbrage "...exiled to an old mechanic's shop" comment

I resemble that comment :D

"We both like beer. Good beer.." Ditto :D

I resemble that comment but I don't own a tank!?

Maybe I should have invested more in the ".... no fencing, or railing, or anything OSHA..." men & company that have made so many Real Grogs and for fun Grogezzzz ... HAPPY over so many years.

Another round of Combat Mission: Real Ale:)

Great story, thanks for sharing. I am so glad Combat Mission series did not sell out to a bigger company that would either ruin it or forget about it. Could you imagine how it would turn out in the hands of EA :mad: I love the independent nature of this company, and who you cater to a smaller group who demand historical and technical realism. This is why I have and will continue support you all. I am a relatively new fan.

I did not hear about this combat mission series until about last year, when I stumbled upon it in the Mac store. It was interesting to gain insight into why it is that Mac ports are made for your products. If you didn't make Mac ports, I don't know if I would have ever known of this game.

It was interesting to gain insight into why it is that Mac ports are made for your products. If you didn't make Mac ports, I don't know if I would have ever known of this game.

IIRC, it may have gone the other way, i.e. the game was originally written for the Mac but then quickly ported to the PC format. I think that by the time CMBO actually went on sale, it was available in both formats.

Michael

Hi Pord. Welcome to the forums. I'm originially from Parkersburg, WV. What town do you live in?

No kidding, I was raised just up the river in Sistersville. I still often make my way down to Parkersburg even though I now live in Morgantown. I have been reading the forums for almost a year, but this is the first thread that has inspired me to post.

Michael- yeah, I suppose "port" isn't the correct word. Perhaps I should have said "developed for Mac". I have noticed in my time here that Mac and PC releases tend to occur simultaneously for the CM games.

No kidding, I was raised just up the river in Sistersville. I still often make my way down to Parkersburg even though I now live in Morgantown. I have been reading the forums for almost a year, but this is the first thread that has inspired me to post.

I've been up there a couple times! Boat trips, passing through the Belmont locks and power plant. It's always a small world in West Virginia! :)

Thanks for the comments :D

Success is a tricky thing. It can be described as little more than controlled failure. The ones who succeed are simply the ones that are better at failing. Sounds kinda silly when put that way, but really it is true. Businesses, I don't care what one you want to talk about, deal with the risk of failure with every action or decision they take or don't take. Failure is inherent and unavoidable. It's what you do with those failures that determines if you make it or not.

For me personally, my first game was a financial failure but a huge success. I made it further than 99.99% of the gamers who have ever thought "I can make games". I even made it further than probably 90% of those who actually tried to make a game. And the game I produced was pretty good. Not great, but it basically did what I intended it to do and that's a very difficult thing to achieve. Look at other companies that have stuck around a long time and you may see similar, humble beginnings. Bungie's first game was Operation Desert Storm, a strategic level hex wargame. Bet most of you didn't know that :D

For sure the most challenging time for Battlefront was Shock Force. It took longer to develop and was technically more difficult than we had planned on it being. We also chose to take many paths of innovation instead of playing it safe. We did that with CMBO too, but at the time there was little to compare us against and so we got far more "pass" marks than we would if we had released the same game in 2007. Those decisions, however rough they started out looking to you guys, are why CM is doing more and better things now than it ever has. It's why Battlefront has more employees now than ever before. Objectively speaking, the push for innovations were a success.

Success can come to pretty much anybody even if by chance. Continued success, on the other hand, requires an extreme amount of planning, patience, innovation, dedication, sacrifice, smarts, and (above all else!) long range vision. No company out there has had a perfectly smooth ride, either internally or with its customers. None. However, our industry (as with others) is littered with those who didn't ride out the bumps. Avalon Hill, 360 Pacific, SSI, Atomic Games, MicroProse, Spectrum Holobyte, etc. are all gone (in absolute terms or in the sense you guys know them) for no one single reason. Battlefront is still here for no one single reason. Well, other than you guys like our stuff :D

Steve

You are welcome.

Words of Business Wisdom Steve. "For sure the most challenging time for Battlefront was Shock Force."

Interesting in that in 2013 the entire CMSF MAC Enchilada is very enjoyable even compared to CMx2 CMFI/BN/CW... at least IMO. How many "old" games achieve that kind of interest?

"..you guys like our stuff..." We may not be large in numbers but as long as you keep making / improving Battlefront products you have a pretty dedicated group of Grogs and not so grogish guys like myself:)

You are welcome.

Words of Business Wisdom Steve. "For sure the most challenging time for Battlefront was Shock Force."

Interesting in that in 2013 the entire CMSF MAC Enchilada is very enjoyable even compared to CMx2 CMFI/BN/CW... at least IMO. How many "old" games achieve that kind of interest?

"..you guys like our stuff..." We may not be large in numbers but as long as you keep making / improving Battlefront products you have a pretty dedicated group of Grogs and not so grogish guys like myself:)

I think once before I compared the sales history of Battlefront products to the field of science fiction. The latter is also something of a niche market, so initial sales of a title are not going to be huge. The thing is, the better works—and there are lots of them—remain in print for decades. So authors and publishers who stay alive eventually may make a very tidy return on their investment indeed.

Michael

I think once before I compared the sales history of Battlefront products to the field of science fiction. The latter is also something of a niche market, so initial sales of a title are not going to be huge. The thing is, the better works—and there are lots of them—remain in print for decades. So authors and publishers who stay alive eventually may make a very tidy return on their investment indeed.

Especially now with e-readers. Just like our digital download capability, the electronic print technology allows even the most obscure books to be kept in print. It just takes someone's effort (and legal authority, which can be tricky) to get the ball rolling for the older titles. If they have a good, continuous market then the incentive is obviously there. But sometimes progress is slow.

I just paid $17+ shipping for an out of print sci-fi book (Empty World) because it isn't available in electronic format yet. Or at least not that I could find. But thanks to 2nd hand book sellers it's at least still available.

Steve