Commonwealth Uniforms

Nick Legh

I hope I would not be alone in making a heartfelt request to the many talented modders out there to please have a proper crack in 2013 at improving the stock art for the Commonwealth troops in CMBN. There are over 130 uniform mods listed in the repository and leaving aside the sadness that most of them now don’t work in V2.0, the vast majority focus on the US and German lads. There are a few glorious exceptions. Not exhaustively, we have the fantastic efforts by DC/Michael Dorosh to produce individual unit insignia, some great helmet mods from Richard Heard/Ben Park and a nifty piece of code juggling from Mord which converted all the Mk II helmets (which look awful in-game imho and others) to Mark IIIs. Strangely this last mod seems to have disappeared from the repository (posted up in March last year) but Mord has supplied a partial work-around for V2.0 adopters in response to an earlier “do somefink ” bleat from me.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7m04vkb3eosfuxf

Still with me?

What I would love to see is someone/people producing for the plucky but poorly turned out Commonwealth boys the kinds of high standard mod sets which Rambler/Veins/EZ et al have done for the American and Germans in the earlier game versions (out to 1.11) and what Jacquinot is doing for the SS troopers in V2.0. What I am asking for is Options – subtle variations in the colours of the uniforms/webbing/groundsheets/gas mask containers etc. Options for clean/dirty/faded uniforms and please don’t forget the afv crews. Options for different helmet cammo – and please don’t forget the paras, especially if we are to have a Market Garden module this year. Options for Mark II or Mark III helmets. You guys know the score.... I leave it you to decide whether you do it in 1.11 or 2.0 but I guess the latter is the way to go. Check this site for inspiration – one of many

http://www.blitzandpeaces.co.uk/museum/WWII%20militaria/WWII%20BRITISH%20ARMY%20EQUIPMENT%20PHOTOS/main6.asp

and please get modding....

I would be interested in other folks thoughts on this topic.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a new version of the helmets for 2.o with normal maps. They are much more "3D" now. I'll try to finish them up soon.

I'm a bit busy, but I'll do some work on a few of the uniforms. As has been said before, they are very nice as is. Variety is always a good thing, though.

Oh that would be awesome. I am missing your helmets in my CM games right now.

It would also be great to see some degree of randomization to the gear portrayed on the Commonwealth infantry models as it does not seem they got the "2.0" treatment.

This is really up to BFC to implement properly as it already occurs with the US and German infantry, but perhaps an enterprising mod utilizing transparencies can achieve an interim solution. Relatedly, I'm not entirely sure the randomization of externally stowed gear works for Commonwealth vehicles either. For example, the CW Shermans look sterile in comparison to the depictions of the US M4's.

Of course, Rambler's small arms mod for the CW infantry would be a big plus too. I know he was working on this at one time and seemed to be achieving very nice results.

Helmets from v1.11 to v2.0? Right? I can do this if you want, just give me link to download this helmets.

This is the one, Baron. I can't imagine Richard has any objections, but I will ask him anyway. Please wait until I do get his permission.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=1898