Whats your age?

Okay, to repeat what I have posted on earlier occasions for those who have since joined this board (and for you old bastards who suffer constant memory lapses), I am now 69 and a few weeks.

My first wargame was AH's Stalingrad in the summer of 1964. My first computer wargame was something some guys from Stanford had cooked up called Tank and was a very much simplified tank simulation played with a joystick.

My first real wargame was on a Mac in 1986 and may have been called Nuclear Annihilation or something like that. But I didn't get my own computer until 1992 and the first game I played on it was Nemesis, a Go game. I then moved to Battle of Britain; M4 (another tank simulation) and B-17, a sort-of flight simulator. This was closely followed by Victory at Sea, a promising but heart breaking failure of a game. In the fall of 1994 I bought TacOps, and for the first time had a truly satisfying computer wargaming experience. Played it almost daily for the next four years. There were various flight sims, primitive by today's standards but fun to play and a couple of games from Atomic Games.

Around 1997 I came across a game called Over the Reich from a small, little-known company called Big Time Software, who a year or so later also brought out Achtung, Spitfire!. I joined their discussion board about the time I bought OTR, and so partook of some of the discussion while AS was being worked up. About that time they started to talk about a computer version of ASL which was to be called Combat Mission.

Well, one thing led to another. BTS became BFC and CM became a legend. Here I am, about 15 years later, still a fly in BFC's ointment. Still buying and enjoying their products.

Michael

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be 44 on the 29th.

Found CMBO during the second Beta Demo...couldn't figure it out for crap. Put it out of my mind until about September of 2000. DLed the Valley/Chance demo and went nuts. I barely even had a passing interest in WWII at that point...12 years later I am still learning about it. CMBO got me into WWII.

Mord.

Fascinating thread, it's quite refreshing to learn how many CMBN gamers are of mature years in contrast to mainstream gaming....Rather sadly, I can't help but feel that the majority of us here are products of a golden age in minature battles - "Donald Featherstoner's" or similar - which unfortunately most people under 30 have absolutely no experience of. A future virtual wargaming world filled only with Battlefield 3 & Company of Heroes is a shallow and ghastly prospect.

But let's look at it another way:

With so many of us so elderly, the other attractions and distractions of life (some welcome, some not) tend to lessen. Some of us are approaching that golden age of retirement -- meaning more time to enjoy gaming and spend money on it.

Maybe CM will become the computer equivalent of golf -- an enduring and rewarding hobby for a lifetime that skews to an older and more patient demographic -- while the twitchy commercial FPS market continues to chase the young and the restless. Being that there's no physical demand (other than a sturdy ticker to handle the stress of onscreen combat), we can all keep playing until they have to pry our cold dead fingers off the keyboards.

40 (already !) and started playing Battlefront games with CMAK.

I've tried to play traditional wargames a long time ago but could not stand the rules (just remember how difficult it was to figure out LOS in ASL :eek:)

So I dumped all that cardboard and paper and boarded the PC train with Panzer General (sweet memories !), then had a true love affair with Steel Panthers. But one day CMAK got in the way and I never played SP again.

Battlefront got it right, period. I'll stick with them until the end.

Oh, and reading their forum is an infinite source of pleasure thanks to the good old community of English speaking grognards.

Thanks to all of you guys ! Très bonne année 2013 à tous !

PS : I'd love to start a CMBN v.2.0 pbm game. Please send me a private message if you are interested.

50 years old...the addiction dates back to the mid-70s playing PanzerBlitz, PanzerLeader etc. with my older brother. Once SL/ASL came out, it was all over.

Great to see so many 40+ folks out there! I guess the more recent generations are too busy achieving Prestige in Call of Duty...or they just don't have the patience for putting together a thoughtful company/battalion-sized assault on a fixed position...

Great to see so many 40+ folks out there! I guess the more recent generations are too busy achieving Prestige in Call of Duty...or they just don't have the patience for putting together a thoughtful company/battalion-sized assault on a fixed position...

Your're stereotype doesn't apply to me, im 16 (either though i don't mind some Call of Duty every once and a while xD).

I'm 28 - noted the CMBO development and demo release but only played it in September 2001 when forced to do so by a friend. Needless to say, I regretted not having played it sooner, but I was grateful not to have missed out any longer.

I play, and by that I mean any one of the CMx1 (even now) or CMx2 titles, at the very least once a month via LAN with either the same friend or another we converted along the way.

27 Here,

I found CMBO back in 2004 while i was just starting college, needless to say i spent many a night playing CM instead of studying. Since then i have picked up every other CM title, except CM Touch. I have enjoyed them all, & cant wait for whats down the line yet to be released.

Well, it seems RevJak trumps us youngunz at 66! Is anyone out there willin to "fess up" as older????? RevJak are you a vet? I am, although not of combat. I am a Viet Nam era vet however I did not go to Viet Nam (Thank God). I was combat engineer (91st). I served stateside at Ft Belvoir Va. & West Point teaching both Cadets and officer candidates the dangers of landmine warfare.

Started CM'ing whenever CMBB came out, however I did try the CMBO demo. I was stuck on Steel Panthers WaW at the time though. SPWaW reminded me of my teenage days playing Avalon Hill's 'Tobruk'. I guess that is why I liked it so long. Still do actually.

CM series I have dedicate lots of my spare time on:

CMBB, CMAK (CMETO), all CMx2.

CMSF (tried it, never got into it for some reason). However, I like what I am hearing about CMSF 2.