Whats your age?

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23. I got into CM from stumbling upon and watching CMSF video AARs on YouTube. I wish I had heard of Combat Mission before that. I now have all CMx2 games except CMA. I started playing the tank sim Panzer Elite fervently when I was 10 years old! Played that for years. Then I got into the helicopter gunship sim called Enemy Engaged and played that for many more years. More of my favorites were Jane's WWII Fighters, Jane's Fleet Command, Blitzkrieg, and Steel Beasts. I really love playing sims hehe.

Started gaming with Avalon Hill's Battle of the Bulge, then Panzer Leader, Panzer Blitz, Squad Leader. My first computer game was Guadalcanal Campaign, on an Apple II. I spent years with Steel Panthers, worked in the SpCamo group doing beta testing, map and scenario design as well as nationality databases for the freeware SPWW2, SPMBT, WINSPWW2 and WINSPMBT.

More recently I played Company of Heroes, and Men of War Assault Squad, but while I found they were fun, I wanted more realistic units and wandered over here...

Another one to increase the average. I'm 56, recently took early retirement. You'd think I'd have tons of time, but I decided to go back to school to keep busy (and it has kept me VERY busy).

Started gaming with Avalon Hill's Tactics II, Blitzkrieg, Bismark, Midway and moved on to many others. Also played a lot of naval miniatures (WWII, 1:1200 using Seapower and Seekrieg).

Dave

Ah, I see Cpl.upham posted 62. So I'll confess to being 58, same age as Rake. :)

Yeah, but since I've only been there for less than a week, that still makes you the old guy...:D

I,m 51

Been playing war games for 35 years and have been in the service.

Do not point that out to these younger players when you are playing them.

I made the comment to one "That I had ben playing tactical games longer than he had been on the earth and that might be why I had been winning our matches." Needless to say, that was the last turn I ever saw from him. :)

I thought it was Carter's administration that introduced that.

:confused:

Michael

Michael you are definitely WRONG on that one.

I googled it just to make sure I spelled Milhous correctly (no E). 1973 was the year - Just about the time I got Panzer Blitz for Christmas.

One question: Will you be adding this one to your sig-line? ;)

Fascinating thread, it's quite refreshing to learn how many CMBN gamers are of mature years in contrast to mainstream gaming.

I'm 42 and played tabletop wargaming (ancient, medieval as well as WWII) in my teens and early twenties. Also strategy games such as Avalon Hill's Blitzkrieg and others - even fantasy role playing games. I've always been a computer buff and gamer (mainly sims - such as Silent Hunter, Operation Flashpoint, Arma), and only discovered CM less than a year ago. It just never occured to me that there would be the right type of niche game fitted up for a 'washed up' ex-tabletop like myself. :D

Rather sadly, I can't help but feel that the majority of us here are products of a golden age in minature battles - "Donald Featherstoner's" or similar - which unfortunately most people under 30 have absolutely no experience of. A future virtual wargaming world filled only with Battlefield 3 & Company of Heroes is a shallow and ghastly prospect.