Sign in to follow this  
Bud Backer

Vehicle Pathing Issues & Questions

I was playing a QB vs the AI and it involved a contested bridge crossing over a river. It appears the river is not crossable without the bridge.

What were problems were several things:

1) There were destroyed enemy vehicles on the bridge. (I assume that were they friendly vehicles the problem would remain). Trying to get by the vehicles with 3 half tracks and 1 tiger became a real nuisance. One halftrack managed to make its way THROUGH the enemy burning half tracks, but the others would get half way across and suddenly turn off the bridge and fall in the river and swim back to my side of the river only to try again.

I tried with the tiger, thinking it would be able to shove or crush the enemy half tracks to get by. It didn't. It fell through the bridge, the radio antenna poking through the surface of the bridge pavement, and then as it approached the other bank it popped back on top of the bridge road surface. Very weird. It is clear that it did not actually break the bridge as the bridge appears unblemished and the Tiger simply rose like in an elevator to resume its merry way. The half tracks burning on the bridge were not moved or destroyed.

Subsequent half tracks trying to cross kept going part way, then turning midway across to jump off the bridge and swim to my shore.

I doubt this is working as designed.

2) is there no way to clear/move/destroy wrecks? This is a real pain in the back of the lap.

I should add to this something REALLY peculiar - watching a halftrack driving along the FACE of a cliff, along a vertical surface. Must be some tractor beam holding it to the rock! LOL

Vehicle pathing over bridges has been an issue since CMBN 1.0. I'm not sure what attempts have been made to fix this, but AI pathing is usually a pretty complex undertaking and I don't know what is exactly involved with fixing this problem. Here is a report (or a complaint that it wasn't fixed by 1.01) from the past:

Patch 1.01 didn't clear up bridge movement issue

Thanks again for responding so quickly.

I played the scenario to the end thus getting ample opportunity to try to get those three remaining half tracks across the bridge. I found that setting their speed to slow seemed to make a big difference. They all got across in one attempt once I did that.

The post you referred to above mentions trying to put as few waypoints as possible; that's something ill try to keep in mind as well. Particularly as wrecks atop the bridge seem to melt. It's really all rather odd, the vehicles seem to want to avoid the wrecks, but when they "decide" to really go acres, they just float through them.

I've found it's best not to set any waypoints on a bridge but to place the waypoints before the bridge approach and the next one someway past where the bridge appears to finish. Set speed to slow and they'll work a way across eventually.

I've found it's best not to set any waypoints on a bridge but to place the waypoints before the bridge approach and the next one someway past where the bridge appears to finish. Set speed to slow and they'll work a way across eventually.

Thanks, Wicky. My limited experience suggests that certainly Slow Move command is vital. At least, if there are obstructions on the bridge itself. Which actually makes sense, you can't expect people to drive by at top speed when the bridge has burning wrecks on it. A lunatic may try, but as a believable command, caution would be a reasonable expectation and I'm good with that.

And I'll try to see what happens with the waypoint placement. It seems to be a mistake to try to weave around the wrecks, which was what I tried initially.

Sign in to follow this