Sign in to follow this  
Redwolf

Mac shop version patch 1.11 has this weirdness

I have the Mac version from the Mac store. 1.11 applies fine and seems to run without problems.

Except for one thing: it seems to think that it is running on top of a not yet authorized CW module (which I neither have nor can buy). It has a button in it to play anyway (the BN part of the game) so I'm not locked out.

But looks like a bug.

I'm seeing this problem, too. My Mac version is from direct download instead of the Mac store, though. I get the CW "play/enter serial/buy" screen before going on to the usual (fully functional) CMBN screen.

I can't tell you how many times I pasted in my CMBN license key before I actually read the text on screen...

It's not a bug. Don't apply the 1.11 patch to the App Store version. An App Store version of 1.11 will be out shortly, pending Apple's approval.

From the 1.11 patch download page, in the Mac section, right above the links:

"Note: if you purchased the game via the AppStore, do NOT use this patch. Your game will be patched through the AppStore updates exclusively."

Any patches for the App Store version will be applied through the App Store update system - the two versions use different DRM, for starters, and have core permissions differences, so applying ANY downloaded patch is going to cause trouble. Unfortunately Apple's review policies mean that the App Store version is almost always going to lag behind a bit, but I'm working on cutting that down on our end.

As I noted above, I am also seeing this issue, and I did not purchase through the Mac store. Not a big deal (since it's just a couple extra clicks), but it's not limited to Mac store versions.

DrDon is "direct download" Battlefront or somewhere else ? My assumption is that this is a Battlefront copy that has a download installer, is that correct ?

Phil has mentioned some possible issues with installs of CMBN into non-default directories in OS 10.6.x. If you have the game in a non-standard directory (i.e. - it is NOT in /Applications/CM Battle for Normandy), then there may be issues with installing the 1.11 patch. If possible, install the game to the default directory (and the Commonwealth module into that, if you have it) and then install the 1.11 patch.

Hopefully this makes a difference. If not, then we will need to look through the CMBN app bundle to see what is there.

FWIW the game seems to work fine otherwise.

Might want to consider a warning dialog box when the wrong patch is slapped on (but please a warning, don't make it a hard error when the result might actually work).

It would definitely be a hard error, unfortunately. You're using a program with one DRM, wrapped in another DRM, built around two conflicting ways of handling underlying operations. Your CM is broken, whether you're seeing it or not. You should kill the app, re-download from the App Store, and wait for 1.11 to come out via the App Store (which, depending on Apple's alacrity in reviewing the update, should be soon).

You should NEVER use a downloaded patch to patch an App Store app, unless the developer specifically tells you to. The App Store requirements and launch necessities are frankly bizarre, and you could end up messing up things that are hard to fix.

I assume that the 'Mac Shop' purchase here is NOT something from the Apple App Store, but a separate online retailer that sold/sells CMBN that uses the same DRM as Battlefront (since it is actually a Battlefront product that is being sold - I assume). In that case the 1.11 patch SHOULD work.

Phil's advice about the Apple App Store purchases is imperative. The Apple App Store DRM is completely separate from Battlefront and almost no patches typically come from outside of the Apple App Store. For Battlefront games EVERY update will come THROUGH the Apple App Store ('Update' function) and almost NEVER directly from Battlefront (as a separate download outside of the App Store).

For the record, I bought directly from Battlefront, but I can no longer remember if I bought "mail" or "mail and download".

Phil has mentioned some possible issues with installs of CMBN into non-default directories in OS 10.6.x.

That's probably it, then. I keep my games in /Games rather than /Applications. And no, I'm not going to move it to the default location. Installing software where you want is one of the perks of using a Mac (*). I'll put up with the intermediary screen. Thanks for the quick reply on an issue that's not really that important!

(*) And I'm not happy with the Mac app store, Steam, and Crossover Games for not letting me choose where to put things, either. Grumble.

I assume that the 'Mac Shop' purchase here is NOT something from the Apple App Store, but a separate online retailer that sold/sells CMBN that uses the same DRM as Battlefront (since it is actually a Battlefront product that is being sold - I assume). In that case the 1.11 patch SHOULD work.

Sounds plausible. It came in that game bundle that we discussed some time ago.

But you guys really need to do something about this mess, starting with a way to actually identify which version you have (as in which flavor, not which version number).

Sign in to follow this