Sign in to follow this  
satan

V2.0 and Virus scanner

Hi all,

I run Win 7 (64bit) and have Avira antivirus freeware running.

Everytime I boot up my machine it detects a 2.0 file called "TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen".

This happens for both the CMN commonwealth Module.exe and Normandy.exe.

I tell the virus scanner to accept and 'always ignore' the files but it keeps picking them up.

It even comes up when i don't have the game running, all the time.

Is it pinging Battlefront???

I have run CMBN with Commonwelath forces on this system and it's been fine except for this 2.00 upgrade.

This is really bad and i'm thinking of uninstalling the game until patched ( or not runnig 2.00).

Appreciate any suggestions and/or if you need further system information.

regards

Geoff

This is an annoying thing I found with Avira too. No, the game is NOT pinging Battlefront or communicating over the internet. Avira just has it stuck in some sort of cache and keeps on bringing it up.

If you have added the exception to Avira (make sure this is added to 'Realtime Protection'), I suggest rebooting or shutting down the computer and then restarting it. Hopefully Avira will now pay attention to the 'exceptions' that are listed.

Hi Schrullenhaft,

Thanks for the suggestion but does not work. No way in the freebee version can i add the exception, realtime doesn't give me the option to excempt a file name (well i could not find it). I have reloaded the game 2 times and disabled Avira when i've loaded it. Avira still try to steal the '.exe' even though i tell it to 'always ignore' it. The '.exe' is recognised as restored in the quarantine but keeps coming up in alerts (MALWARE) ending up back in quarantine. The only way i can see to do this is to except all '.Gen' files and i'm not going to do this and i should not have too.

Why does this only happen with this 2.00 upgrade and not other versions of the game?

What is the "TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen" file?

With Avira you go to 'Configure' (F8) and make sure your slider for settings are set to 'Expert'. With this set to 'Expert' you should be able to see the 'Realtime Protection' portion and within here there should be an option to add 'exceptions' (which can be files or folders, as far as I'm aware - though using a file may be a more 'accurate' way of setting the exceptions).

I'm not sure why only the CMBN 2.0 Upgrade file is getting tripped in your particular situation. The "TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen" (or something similar) is an error that a number of our files have had with several security programs. CMBN 2.0 Upgrade is not unique in this case in experiencing this error.

The "TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen" designation is a generic, heuristic designation for a suspected trojan that has encryption within it. It really isn't a full, blown standard 'virus/trojan', but rather a generic description of a POSSIBLE infected file (that can't really be read by the security software).

Yes its located in Expert mode... I should have checked the help file ;}

PC Protection > System Scanner > Scan > Exemptions

You have to add the file path to ignore.

C:\Users\User\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission Battle for Normandy\CM Normandy.exe

Thanks very much for that. I will see how it goes over the next couple of days and reply if it's a fix for me.

regards

Geoff

Hi Schrullenhaft,

Loaded both "C:\Users\User\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission Battle for Normandy\CM Normandy.exe"

and

"C:\Users\User\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission Battle for Normandy\Modules\CMN Commonwealth Module.exe"

As exceptions but it deleted my .exe, i had a copy of the file so i placed it in then it ran but CForces senerios were greyed out so i tried to load CF again and now its completely stuffed.

Avira still picks up the .Gen file as an alert.

At the moment i've had enough will come back to the game when it's patched say 2.01 or better.

:(

PS: Remember I had CM Normandy and Commonwealth running with Avira before this patch no problems. Loaded 2.00 and now both are stuffed.

Hi akd,

Good for you, but my system still won't work.

Do you have full Avira or only freeware?

Is it in default location ? (default location could also be an issue. CM Fortress italy (in Program Files x86) runs fine no Avira issues at all)

Your system 64 bit or 32 ?

I have reloaded the game (again) with both exceptions on and still picks up the .gen file as an alert. If i don't disable Avira it wont even load the 2.00 version.

I'm so annoyed, really bad bug as far as i'm concerned.

1.11 PLAYS FINE SO IM JUST GOING TO USE THAT TILL THEY FIX THE GAME.

free version, XP 32-bit, game is in program files

the game runs with Avira disabled, therefore the problem is with Avira, not the game, but as you can see with the replies above, I'm sure BFC will continue to work with you to figure out the problem.

Hi akd,

Ive got a 64bit system and the default load is in the ""C:\Users\User\Documents\Battlefront" for CMBN which is different to Fortress Italy.

I remember when Vista used to have issues running games depending on where you placed the game - maybe 64bit WIN 7 suffers from the same fate.

I'm too slack (have run out of code allocations) to retry this in a new location to test a fix.

Stay tuned Shogi, no fix as yet as far as I can see, at least 1.11 works (CN & CW).

Those Avira alerts keep going off, like water dripping on my head, torture. :(

It might be updated in the next signature update. Unfortunately the security software vendors may make an exception with one set of data updates and then less than a month later your security software is tagging your executables as infected again. If Avira can't pay attention to its own exception list (that the user specifies), then that is a more worrisome issue.

Schrullenhaft, I don't think it's fair to blame Avira ("If Avira can't pay attention to its own exception list ").

As I have stated your game (Normandy& Commonwealth) played fine with Avira switched on. It is 2.00 update and how that runs(code) that's the issue not Avira .

CM 1.11 runs fine.

The ".exe" isn't really the issue it's the ".gen file" that sends the alert off (Malware). A user should not have to alter his/her antivirus to cater for your game (unless you specify our game won't run with....).

If the game can't run with certain antivirus programs state that in your specs or fix the code so it does.

If the game can't run with certain antivirus programs state that in your specs or fix the code so it does.

The thing that triggers the AV warnings is the deep inspection of the computer to detect hardware changes that invalidate the license, and probably the placing of the license information, too. The latter is done in a way that it survives uninstall and deinstall, and in a hidden location where the user can't "see" it, which is exactly what you are *not* supposed to do in a clean installer.

Both of these items are typical actions for malware. Hence the AV scanner are entirely correct in raising an alarm about this executable.

Sign in to follow this