Unrestricted Warfare

From the changes in the new patch, my guess would be that people thought that the US was not being activated soon enough (unrestricted warfare not pushing them hard enough, and the blockade of Germany slowing things down).

So, now, is a CP game without Unrestricted Warfare a much more attractive option?--trying to knock Russia and France out, and hoping the UK will just misallocate resources? Will this replace the (modified) Trieste decision as one of the most vital decisions made?

I do not quite understand you? Which patch to you refer to?

Currently, unrestricted warfare is a good morale booster for the Germans, but has the downside with the US entering rather fast. I would say it's depending on the overall situation...if Russia is on her knees in 1916, it does not hurt to start a real strong submarine campaign as it gives you the necessary NM buffer for the Western offensives.

He means the patch that made the unrestricted warefare impact on US about twice as much as it used to be. It is changed a lot, though idk if I would say too much, atm it still work.. though unrestricted warefare is nearly never usefull.

Right, Sapare. The change seems like a large one.

And if I read the patch correctly, isn't this true?: pre-patch, if one picked Unrestriced Warfare, but then did not actually attack convoys, there was no penalty--which means, as was I think implied in the Strategy Guide, it was a no-brainer of a decision.

But now, if one picks Unrestriced Warfare, the US gets a small nudge toward the Entente in any case? If so, that would seem to markedly change the calculation to potentially decline the Unrestricted Warfare completely--it makes it a real decision, which may be a reason it was changed.

Hi

There won't be any shifts in US opinion except when you are actually carrying out unrestricted attacks. So, if you've opted to use unrestricted warfare and then remove all your naval units from the trigger points, US opinion won't move any further against you.

Hence it's possible, as I do, to use unrestricted warfare infrequently, i.e. only when you have enough naval units at hand to do so, and then pull back to refit once they've had some impact, to return later if appropriate.

This way, you can hurt the UK's income at a crucial point in the war, without bringing the USA in. Of course, do this too frequently and for too long, and then you will have a new enemy to fear, but it should be possible to call off your unrestricted campaigns longer before that point, should you so wish.

It has always been the case that unrestricted warfare can only be chosen when you have naval units in place on the trigger points to carry out such attacks, and this has always caused annoyance in the US. However, the actual upset caused to the US for every turn you use unrestricted naval warfare has been amended over time.

Hi

There won't be any shifts in US opinion except when you are actually carrying out unrestricted attacks. So, if you've opted to use unrestricted warfare and then remove all your naval units from the trigger points, US opinion won't move any further against you.

Hence it's possible, as I do, to use unrestricted warfare infrequently, i.e. only when you have enough naval units at hand to do so, and then pull back to refit once they've had some impact, to return later if appropriate.

This way, you can hurt the UK's income at a crucial point in the war, without bringing the USA in. Of course, do this too frequently and for too long, and then you will have a new enemy to fear, but it should be possible to call off your unrestricted campaigns longer before that point, should you so wish.

It has always been the case that unrestricted warfare can only be chosen when you have naval units in place on the trigger points to carry out such attacks, and this has always caused annoyance in the US. However, the actual upset caused to the US for every turn you use unrestricted naval warfare has been amended over time.

Thank you, Bill, for the clarification. It is very helpful.

So, if I recall correctly there is a "choice" that allows the CP to possibly do Unrestricted Warefare or not. Is that true? And given your answer above, is there any advantage for the CP ro forgoing Unrestricted Warfare forever?

As far as I remember there is a game event ask you if you want to do Unrestricted Warfare or not only after you disrupt merchant routes. If you choose not to I think event doesn't pop up again in entire game. I think most logical approach is to choose Uwarfare in every game but not overdo it.

I'm not sure or clear about if UWarfare has great benefits. There is also a warning message for Entente about whereabouts the raid took place so It can be pretty hard to lose sight from British navy.

If the Germans say no to using unrestricted warfare, they will have another opportunity to take this decision once the USA has joined the war.

At that point, it would be silly not to say yes, though doing it will be trickier by then because the US fleet's arrival in British waters will make unrestricted attacks even harder to launch.