Sign in to follow this  
Vin

U.S. Airborne Uniform bug in Upgrade 2.0

This bug is also present in quick battles as well as campaigns and scenarios. I just did a test of two separate huge size quick battles, one with a battalion of U.S. parachute infantry, the other with a battalion of glider infantry. Some glider infantry are using the U.S. army regular skins. The parachute infantry are using their correct skins. In the Devils' Descent campaign parachute infantry are using U.S. army regular skins. :confused: BTW when I tested this I did so without any mods in the Z folder. The Airborne uniform bug was noted in the Airborne Troops & Vierville Scenario post as well but I wanted to draw some more attention to this.

Paratrooper infantry and Glider one were NOT the same. Paratroopers were volunteers while Glider infantry were conscripts. Paratroopers got the M42 uniform, jump boots, got better pay etc, I have read they even got a bonus of $50 for each combat jump. Glider infantry got NOTHING. They were dressed in plain foot infantry uniform. They could wear the divisional insignia, as any other US infantry soldier, but that's all.

There is a small issue that should be ironed in a future 2.01 patch regarding Glider Battalion HQ using Paratrooper uniform rather than glider one.

I don't know what are the effects of using scenarios designed BEFORE 2.0. The naming convention for uniforms was changed for a better, more flexible and elegant one in 2.0 so there may be side effects like changing a few uniforms which I think it doesn't affect playability

Glider infantry must use foot infantry uniform with Abn insignia or no insignia if no 82nd nor 101st Abn option is chosen. That's not a bug.

However there is an issue with the Para uniform in the Vierville scenario. They use the vehicle/driver uniform (infantry uniform with no suspenders). If you load that scenario in the editor then buy a Paratrooper unit, it is shown with the correct Para uniform. I guess there is a problem with uniforms in some old scenarios but there should be no problem with new ones.

Paratrooper infantry and Glider one were NOT the same. Paratroopers were volunteers while Glider infantry were conscripts. Paratroopers got the M42 uniform, jump boots, got better pay etc, I have read they even got a bonus of $50 for each combat jump. Glider infantry got NOTHING. They were dressed in plain foot infantry uniform. They could wear the divisional insignia, as any other US infantry soldier, but that's all.

There is a small issue that should be ironed in a future 2.01 patch regarding Glider Battalion HQ using Paratrooper uniform rather than glider one.

I don't know what are the effects of using scenarios designed BEFORE 2.0. The naming convention for uniforms was changed for a better, more flexible and elegant one in 2.0 so there may be side effects like changing a few uniforms which I think it doesn't affect playability

Well no you are wrong actually. All the scenarios with paratroopers in have their uniforms set to standard so they appear as regular army. It also appears you cannot edit scenarios made before 2.0 to change that either.

Personally I think this is a bad bug. Given the purpose of the change was to give variety and flexiblility in uniform appearance it has had exactly the opposite effect. Battlefront need to fix this.

Glider infantry must use foot infantry uniform with Abn insignia or no insignia if no 82nd nor 101st Abn option is chosen. That's not a bug.

However there is an issue with the Para uniform in the Vierville scenario. They use the vehicle/driver uniform (infantry uniform with no suspenders). If you load that scenario in the editor then buy a Paratrooper unit, it is shown with the correct Para uniform. I guess there is a problem with uniforms in some old scenarios but there should be no problem with new ones.

Its not just the vierville scenario - it is all paratroop scenarios. So I think you are diminishing the problem. It would appear to me that the old scenarios use an old data format for the uniform allocation and they have not been updated - which is why you cant change them.

The difference between glider and paratroop uniforms is irrelevant to the issue its the old scenario data format which is screwed. If I load a paratroop scenario I want to see them in paratroop uniforms.

I'm with JRMC1879 on this one. Brecourt Manor scenario also seems to be broken.

Obviously not a complete game-breaker, a simple fix should be good to have regardless. After all, "better-looking and more varied uniforms" is an advertised feature of 2.0.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

Regards

I'm noticing other uniform weirdness in user made scenarios that, of course, are pre-2.0.

I tried loading up a user made (2 Villages H2H) and noticed that some of my paratrooper mortar crews are wearing German skins on US patterns. Talk about weird. This is a saved game by the way, I'll try loading it from the beginning setup and see if I get the same thing or if it's just a crazy bug with saved games. Most of the other troops are fine though, it seems to only happen in certain mortar crews.

I'm thinking that probably most of the pre 2.0 scenarios will have to be updated to the new naming system?

Also noticed in Devil's Decent that the uniforms are standard GI. Again, another user made scenario.

Edit: Happy to report that the texture issue seems to only be a saved game thing. I loaded the same scenario fresh and had no texture issues other than the fact that, again, the airborne are wearing standard GI issue.

I'm noticing other uniform weirdness in user made scenarios that, of course, are pre-2.0.

I tried loading up a user made (2 Villages H2H) and noticed that some of my paratrooper mortar crews are wearing German skins on US patterns. Talk about weird. This is a saved game by the way, I'll try loading it from the beginning setup and see if I get the same thing or if it's just a crazy bug with saved games. Most of the other troops are fine though, it seems to only happen in certain mortar crews.

I'm thinking that probably most of the pre 2.0 scenarios will have to be updated to the new naming system?

Also noticed in Devil's Decent that the uniforms are standard GI. Again, another user made scenario.

Edit: Happy to report that the texture issue seems to only be a saved game thing. I loaded the same scenario fresh and had no texture issues other than the fact that, again, the airborne are wearing standard GI issue.

Texture oddities with old saves are expected with a major patch/upgrade. Only really a bug if you see the same problems in a newly started game.

You can edit the scenario so it wil show the correct uniforms for the airborne units. You have to go into the editor and remove the units and then select them again. Once you have selected the units you are able to select the divison you wish to use. It is a bit of work but it can be done.

I had a small airborne scenario I was working on last year and changed the uniforms over and now they are proud members of the 82nd.

You can edit the scenario so it wil show the correct uniforms for the airborne units. You have to go into the editor and remove the units and then select them again. Once you have selected the units you are able to select the divison you wish to use. It is a bit of work but it can be done.

I had a small airborne scenario I was working on last year and changed the uniforms over and now they are proud members of the 82nd.

Yes I know I did that - but for the stock scenarios thats an awful lot of work - maybe for your own small one its not a problem - but for the stock ones you not only have to delete everything. remeber what was there in the first place, how they were set up and then redeploy them.

Its going to be easier for BF to do it - its not that many scenarios and they have access to the files.

Surely they will have to do it for the new full version 2.0 game.

I'm in the middle of Devil's Descent right now. After upgrading to v2.0, my saved game opens up and still shows the nice 82d Paratrooper uniforms. I started a new one with v2.0 to check and the uniforms for that new game are basic GI.

Dave

Well no you are wrong actually. All the scenarios with paratroopers in have their uniforms set to standard so they appear as regular army. It also appears you cannot edit scenarios made before 2.0 to change that either.

Personally I think this is a bad bug. Given the purpose of the change was to give variety and flexiblility in uniform appearance it has had exactly the opposite effect. Battlefront need to fix this.

I was replying to this comment. Yes it is would be easier for BF to change them but it can be done. It took me about a half hour to redo a company of reduced units with all of thier stats changed to what the old ones were.

Thank you all for your feedback. This afternoon I decided to reinstall CMBN and the Commonwealth Module patched to v1.11. I made a copy of the Combat Mission Battle for Normandy folder in my Battlefront folder and renamed it to Combat Mission Battle for Normandy v1.11 and created a shortcut for it on my desktop. I then applied the Upgrade 2.0 to the default game folder. Both versions can coexist on the same hard drive without any conflicts. I realize this is not practical for everyone, but it is an interim solution I did for my own purposes and I wanted to share it with everyone who would like to play any U.S. Airborne campaigns and scenarios with Airborne looking as originally intended. I have also confirmed that any recent CMBN scenarios saved in Upgrade 2.0, such as CW Wittman's Demise will not show up in the scenario list in v1.11.

I was replying to this comment. Yes it is would be easier for BF to change them but it can be done. It took me about a half hour to redo a company of reduced units with all of thier stats changed to what the old ones were.

Well I may give it a go and see how painful it is. The whole specific uniform thing is so damn cool in testing its a pity this got fouled up. hopefully they will fix it.

I wonder if the choices are hard coded or more can be added by users. ? I should imagine the former.

We're looking into this problem now. You should NOT have to delete ANYTHING to get the new Airborne uniforms to show up. All you need to do is highlight the already purchased units in the Editor, change their Appearance, and bingo. Shouldn't be more than that.

Save games from v1.11 are not supported by v2.0!! If they run, it's only by coincidence. Anybody reporting problems involving games already started before upgrading need to accept that we can't magically, retroactively update save games.

Again, I'm looking into this specifically right now... but I wanted to at least address some of this thread now.

Steve

I forgot to mention that new uniforms WILL show up for save games when those uniforms are "defaults". The default for US Airborne is "82nd Airborne", so that should show up just fine, though there could be consistency issues with some guys not having the right uniforms and others having the correct ones. That sort of stuff was fixed with 2.0 and might not necessarily apply to v1.11 games in progress.

Steve

We're looking into this problem now. You should NOT have to delete ANYTHING to get the new Airborne uniforms to show up. All you need to do is highlight the already purchased units in the Editor, change their Appearance, and bingo. Shouldn't be more than that.

Save games from v1.11 are not supported by v2.0!! If they run, it's only by coincidence. Anybody reporting problems involving games already started before upgrading need to accept that we can't magically, retroactively update save games.

Again, I'm looking into this specifically right now... but I wanted to at least address some of this thread now.

Steve

thanks steve but the issue is that for airborne troops they are set to "standard" in the stock scenarios (and campaigns presumably but I cant see those) - not sure what "standard" means in the context of Airborne - but they are getting default army uniforms in any case.

I cant change the uniform in the stock scenarios as the items for 82nd and 101st are greyed out and not selectable. Its was the base scenario file I was attempting to edit. I can add new units to the scenario and uniform selection works ok - but not for units that are there already defined .

Steve, I have the same issue. If I try to just select the units in the editor the only choice I have for parachute Bn for a previous made scenario is standard. 101 and 82nd are greyed out. The only way I could update the units was to delete them and select new units. I tried selecting the whole unit and when that did not work I tried selecting individual units, niether worked.

This scenario was made with 1.0

Agreed. Just tried to change Silence the Guns. Only Standard is highlighted - every other selection is grayed out for existing units. Too bad as I would have no problem going in and making that quick edit myself.

On second mission of Road to Montebourg ,infantry uniforms instead of airborne . Did I miss way of fixing it somwhere? Did not manage the editor solution.

Version 2.01.

Sign in to follow this