To all of you who want something for nothing

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As usual I have purchased and supported BFC. My only gripe and I have mentioned this previously, is their keep us in the dark attitude.

Months and months pass without even a morsel, but as soon as anybody criticises BFC you can't get them off.

i totally second that para!

for example the MG accuracy thread with over 17000 views and 470 posts and there was only one small comment from c3k (who, as far as i can see is not even part of the team) that the beta testers are looking at it.

at least a tad more info and response would be nice!

Eh, not a complete waste of time. It's important for you guys to see that we care enough to stand by our decisions. To me, it's been helpful because it reinforces my opinion that most of you aren't so bad. I mean, not "I'd be OK with you dating my sister" kinda not bad, but "I'd let you buy me a beer" kinda not bad. Heh :)

Steve

Ok guys, you heard it, We are all meeting Steve to buy him a beer, Lets say a week from Friday.

Lets see, that should be about 85 beers now if we all buy him one. This should make for a entertaining evening.

Now we all just need the directions to that local pub that you enjoy visiting.

I probably would have given my first born child to Battlefront for the target armor arc and moveable waypoints alone, so 10$ is a steal. :D

what a dependency and dedication :-)

I hope that it's a joke. but in my country there is phrase that it lies realities under the jokes

regards

A subscription plan would not work for me. Due to time demands, some months I don't play at all. Others, I play a fair bit.

The current system suits me very well. I can pay reasonable prices as I go for what I want and do as much gaming as time allows without having to race against a subscription clock. And, as Mord just said, I don't have to worry about feature envy.

To clarify, I am talking about a subscription that simply sends you the games. I just want to find a new module in the mail every now and then. (or find it somewhere beyond the garage if UPS is used).

An active subscription would not be required to play what you already got sent while it was active.

Ok guys, you heard it, We are all meeting Steve to buy him a beer, Lets say a week from Friday.

Lets see, that should be about 85 beers now if we all buy him one. This should make for a entertaining evening.

Does Steve actually have a sister? Is she hot? If so, after 85 beers, I don't think he would be making too many objections. Just a thought.

:D

Michael

So the fans will agree with Steve whatever, drunk or sober.

Others will feel v2.0 does what should have been in v1.0; but that's an old software rule.

And I can't even get 1.11 to run on my only laptop that might run it because I've messed up with my activations after installing and getting the invisible soldiers Windows 8 problem; uninstalling and now it can't find the supposed activation on attempting re-install.

It's like religion really, those who believe smile smugly, those who don't believe can't understand why people who otherwise seem to act intelligently suddenly blow it by professing belief in some medieval or other primitive belief system.

Believe it or not I drafted in even more uses of "believe" or "belief" but couldn't believe what I had written.

To the whiners; think about this for a minute. It took BFC months to develop and implement v 2.0 and CMFI, it then took them more months to make v2.0 for CMBN. Is $10 usd really too much to help fund all those months of hard work? Really?!!

When you break down the cost per hour of play-time for these games, these games are ridiculously cheap. Try doing anything else for this price. Even a paperback book ends up costing more per hour than these games, (unless it takes you years to read them - how long do you play these games for?). Have you tried chasing women? Much more expensive and the reward, while oh so desirable, is much more elusive and not always what it seems.

If you prefer playing these games then you are engaging in one of the cheapest leisure activities that I know of. I don't play because of cost, I play them because I like to. I am also married, but guess what, I still spend lots of time and money on my wife. I did not get married because it would be cheaper! I like her, I want to keep her with me, and the relationship is important so I spend my resources on maintaining it. Note that I spend resources on maintaining the relationship, not on maintaining her - she makes her own good money and is way to stubborn to let me support her.

If Steve the admin guy (who sounds like the CEO) gets rich off these games, that is awesome. I like the guy. I would hire him.

I buy these games to support the developers and to play them. I think I would donate money to keep these type of games going. My biggest fear in the world is the take over of the FPS game.

Well, from what I've heard so far, if those 85 beers cost $5 each, about half the drinking well-wishers would be well-drink welshers.

I have so much crap sitting on my hardrive that I paid just as much for and dont get an ounce of play out of compared to the CM stuff.

You know, I was one of the ones who said "what, $10!" but this statement just made me realize how true. Just looking at my collection of purchased games and I would say 60% of them never met expectations or lived up to the hype, my most expensive disappointment being Oblivion. So yeah, I play CMBN:CW and do like it although some things frustrate me, but nothing is perfect. So I will give the BF guys my apology and admit I was a wank.;)

So the fans will agree with Steve whatever, drunk or sober.

Others will feel v2.0 does what should have been in v1.0; but that's an old software rule.

And I can't even get 1.11 to run on my only laptop that might run it because I've messed up with my activations after installing and getting the invisible soldiers Windows 8 problem; uninstalling and now it can't find the supposed activation on attempting re-install.

It's like religion really, those who believe smile smugly, those who don't believe can't understand why people who otherwise seem to act intelligently suddenly blow it by professing belief in some medieval or other primitive belief system.

Believe it or not I drafted in even more uses of "believe" or "belief" but couldn't believe what I had written.

I am what probably classifies as a fanboy, since I both love the games and appreciate the massive effort, dedication, and sincerity the very small BFC team puts into this series. But if you can stomach sincere advice from a fanboy:)...I can totally understand the massive frustration you have losing registrations and all. Have you brought this problem directly to BFC through the Tech forum? I recall during CMBN--or maybe it was CW release--that people who lost activations through no real fault of their own were given some activations back. Worth a try, 'cause the activation system is goofy (I lost 2 on an at-first unsuccessful CW install).

But I have the discs and I back everything up on a thumb drive, so at least once I get things running, I don't have to worry anymore about activations.

My only hitch in my giddy up would be BF not venturing into the earlier WWII timelines with CM, like North Africa 41-43 or the Eastern front 41-43... Hopefully these time periods /theaters will be visited with a module or something down the road as these are my (and others I am sure) favorite years of WWII for wargaming.

Thanks for the explanation(s) Steve and the great products over the past decade and a bit. You guys have a loyal purchaser here, I do not see that changing any time soon.

Just thought I'd add my thoughts on such a hot topic:

1. My guess is that the OP wasn't really a gripe at the whiners, it was bait for customer feedback on the business model - either conscious or subconsciously on BF's part.

2. Whilst, I'm not in the side of the whingers, I can understand why people do complain - albeit unjustly. See, so many developers/producers in the games industry exploit their customers for overpriced, unfinished and/or unsupported games that the gaming masses have become very cynical about marketing & pricing & the industry at large.

The one thing I've learned, after taking an interest in CM only fairly recently, is that this company are an exception to that general rule. Yet, and in light of my point, one can understand why the cynical view prevails - it's a case of a whole barrel of bad apples spoils it for the good one. Many hard -up and run down gamers have games developers marked down for City of London bankers and the level of cynicism they've notched up trumps all usual product discernment.

I think in this respect, and for whatever my advice is worth, BF should, wherever possible, seek to exploit this fact to their advantage. I mean I never once heard from BF's marketing that this was a developer who were especially dedicated to supporting their products, in the way they intend, over the long term. I simply worked that out over time from reading the forums, accessing the main website and allowing my discerning faculties to overide my cynicism.

Indeed, I sincerely believe that there are a hell of a lot more people interested in war games out there who haven't yet even heard of CM yet alone discovered the 'difference' in sustainability and continuity being offered HERE. If they could learn about this 'difference', particularly in contrast to the short shelf life dross they are currently STILL being served, they would be more easily sold on CM and the superiority of the product being developed.

However, the building blocks of trust that this requires is your responsibilty BF!! And appreciating where your newer (perhaps damaged) customers might be coming from is an element of that objective.

Anyway, thanks for the update, I think you are worth every penny and I look forward to the MG module. Oh, I'd esp love to hear some up-to-date news on the CMSF2 front for christmas- a preview perhaps!! ( ;) *wishful winking )

Interesting analogy there, altipueri. However, in this case, the 'religious' thinkers would be these people who think it is unethical/bad business for BFC to charge $10 for a major feature upgrade to an existing game. The rest of us are the rational ones, the ones who expect to pay for things in a store, whether physical or virtual.