Information for New Players

How the Research System Works

This section describes the maths behind researching upgrades, inspired by the recent discussion with Ashes Fall on this forum.

A) Progression every Turn

In all the WWI campaigns, the base % progress per chit invested per turn is as follows:

To attain:

Level 1 = 6%

Level 2 = 6%

Level 3 = 5%

Level 4 = 4%

Level 5 = 2%

In 1939 Storm over Europe, the base % progress per chit per turn is as follows:

To attain:

Level 1 = 5%

Level 2 = 4%

Level 3 = 3%

Level 4 = 2%

Level 5 = 1%

The actual increment per turn will be a random number based on the % chance you have each turn relative to the number of chits invested.

So, as an example, if you have 1 chit at 6% each then you will have a 3 -> 9% increment towards 100% per turn.

If you have 2 chits for a total of 12% then you will have a 6 -> 18% increment towards 100% per turn.

Each chit makes progress every turn from 0-100%, and once you reach 100% you will automatically achieve a research breakthrough, taking you to the next level in that category.

B) Research Breakthroughs!

Once your research has progressed to a 30% threshold, there is a chance per turn of achieving a research breakthrough and attaining the next level.

The chance of a breakthrough is based on the number of chits invested multiplied by the % chance of progressing per turn.

Progression in A) is variable, whereas the chance of a research breakthrough once the 30% threshold has been reached isn’t.

For example: once you have reached 30%, 1 chit @ 6% gives you a 6% chance every turn that you might get a hit and achieve a research breakthrough, i.e. attain the next level.

This way, you may not have to wait until research has progressed all the way to 100%, but you do have to wait a few turns at least for it to reach 30%.

Viewing Progress

To view the current research progression a tool tip in the RESEARCH dialog will show your % advancement when hovering with the mouse above an invested research item.

Progressing to the Next Level

Research will advance a level for whichever is achieved first, either A) reaches 100% or B) there is an early breakthrough once A is above 30%.

While progression varies per turn, the chance of a breakthrough does not. So if you have 1 chit invested to research a level 1 technology at 6% a turn, and the enemy has not yet researched that level, then progression will be 3 – 9% per turn, but the chance of a breakthrough once the 30% threshold has been passed will be 6% a turn.

Intelligence and Research

Each new level of Intelligence research increases your own research bonus by 1% and decreases your opponent's bonus by 1%. If the enemy's intelligence level is higher than yours, then it will just negate your own intelligence.

Intelligence levels only compete with each other, so if the enemy have higher intelligence than you, the only net effect will be to negate the benefit you'll get from your own intelligence level. It won't prevent or slow the base research % chance per turn.

Intelligence can also affect the chance of a breakthrough after 30%.

Catch Up Bonus

The research formula also has an adjustment that takes into account real life situations that occur in every war, such as captured enemy equipment and spying and espionage.

Therefore, if an opponent has achieved a higher level in a particular category, there will be a bonus applied to your chance calculation each turn. However, the normal research chance can only be increased if a level of difference exists. It can never be reduced. This bonus might be further modified by friendly and/or enemy Intelligence research advances as described above.

Good luck with your research! :)

• 2 weeks later...
How the Research System Works

Intelligence and Research

Each new level of Intelligence research increases your own research bonus by 1% and decreases your opponent's bonus by 1%. If the enemy's intelligence level is higher than yours, then it will just negate your own intelligence.

Intelligence levels only compete with each other, so if the enemy have higher intelligence than you, the only net effect will be to negate the benefit you'll get from your own intelligence level. It won't prevent or slow the base research % chance per turn.

Intelligence can also affect the chance of a breakthrough after 30%.

Good luck with your research! :)

Hi :) ,

- Maybe the word "negate" confused me a bit so just to be sure:

Me (Myself) En (Enemy) IL (Intelligence Level) RB (Research Bonus)

Me 0 (IL) 0 En = no effect

Me 0 (IL) 1 En = Me +0% (RB) +1% En

Me 0 (IL) 2 En = Me +0% (RB) +2% En

Me 0 (IL) 3 En = Me +0% (RB) +3% En

Me 1 (IL) 0 En = Me +1% (RB) +0% En

Me 1 (IL) 1 En = no effect

Me 1 (IL) 2 En = Me +0% (RB) +1% En

Me 1 (IL) 3 En = Me +0% (RB) +2% En

Me 2 (IL) 0 En = Me +2% (RB) +0% En

Me 2 (IL) 1 En = Me +1% (RB) +0% En

Me 2 (IL) 2 En = no effect

Me 2 (IL) 3 En = Me +0% (RB) +1% En

Me 3 (IL) 0 En = Me +3% (RB) +0% En

Me 3 (IL) 1 En = Me +2% (RB) +0% En

Me 3 (IL) 2 En = Me +1% (RB) +0% En

Me 3 (IL) 3 En = no effect

- Some things I'm not sure about:

* Do negative IRB affect countries under 100% mobilization ?

Say Germany has intel level 1 in 1940 and USSR intel level remains at 0.

Will it penalize USSR before Barbarossa ?

* Do negative IRB affect countries at 100% mobilization but not at war yet ?

Say Japan has intel level 0 and USA intel level 2 starting 1942 with 100% mobilization.

Will it penalize Japan if they're not at war with USA ?

* When there are several countries, how does it work, does it only use best IL for each side (Axis/Allies, Entente/CP)?

Germany IL 2, Japan IL 1, Italy IL 0

USA IL 3, UK IL 2, USSR IL 1

Here, will USA be the only country to get a Research Bonus (IL 3 - IL 2 = +1%) ?

Thanks for the details !

Hi :) ,

- Maybe the word "negate" confused me a bit so just to be sure:

Me (Myself) En (Enemy) IL (Intelligence Level) RB (Research Bonus)

Me 0 (IL) 0 En = no effect

Me 0 (IL) 1 En = Me +0% (RB) +1% En

Me 0 (IL) 2 En = Me +0% (RB) +2% En

Me 0 (IL) 3 En = Me +0% (RB) +3% En

Me 1 (IL) 0 En = Me +1% (RB) +0% En

Me 1 (IL) 1 En = no effect

Me 1 (IL) 2 En = Me +0% (RB) +1% En

Me 1 (IL) 3 En = Me +0% (RB) +2% En

Me 2 (IL) 0 En = Me +2% (RB) +0% En

Me 2 (IL) 1 En = Me +1% (RB) +0% En

Me 2 (IL) 2 En = no effect

Me 2 (IL) 3 En = Me +0% (RB) +1% En

Me 3 (IL) 0 En = Me +3% (RB) +0% En

Me 3 (IL) 1 En = Me +2% (RB) +0% En

Me 3 (IL) 2 En = Me +1% (RB) +0% En

Me 3 (IL) 3 En = no effect

- Some things I'm not sure about:

* Do negative IRB affect countries under 100% mobilization ?

Say Germany has intel level 1 in 1940 and USSR intel level remains at 0.

Will it penalize USSR before Barbarossa ?

* Do negative IRB affect countries at 100% mobilization but not at war yet ?

Say Japan has intel level 0 and USA intel level 2 starting 1942 with 100% mobilization.

Will it penalize Japan if they're not at war with USA ?

* When there are several countries, how does it work, does it only use best IL for each side (Axis/Allies, Entente/CP)?

Germany IL 2, Japan IL 1, Italy IL 0

USA IL 3, UK IL 2, USSR IL 1

Here, will USA be the only country to get a Research Bonus (IL 3 - IL 2 = +1%) ?

Thanks for the details !

Hi Strategiclayabout

That all makes sense to me in your examples, and the answers to your questions are yes, yes and yes! :)

Bill

• 1 month later...
If Russia has surrendered or withdrawn from the war, then there will also be a 1-2% per-turn mobilization towards the Entente from the date that Russia leaves the war.

Are you sure? I don't think I've seen this.

Led by Teddy Roosevelt, the Preparedness Movement campaigned for an increase in the US armed forces and to prepare American opinion for entering the war

This will cost 50MPPs a turn for 3 turns, and will then swing the USA 4-7% towards the Entente. This will then be followed by a swing of 1-2% per turn thereafter.

I don't think I've ever been given this decision. I just looked and the exact same event is there twice, as DE-140 and DE-141. In the strategy guide it only lists DE-140. Could this duplicate event be causing a problem?

• 3 weeks later...
Are you sure? I don't think I've seen this.

I don't think I've ever been given this decision. I just looked and the exact same event is there twice, as DE-140 and DE-141. In the strategy guide it only lists DE-140. Could this duplicate event be causing a problem?

Hi Ancient Demon

Sorry for the delay in replying but I've been out of action for a while.

I've checked the 1914 Call to Arms campaign for Breakthrough and there are two Decision Events as there are different situations that can trigger the decision.

The first is if the Germans sign the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk, and the second is if Russian National Morale has fallen below 1% (i.e. a treaty wasn't signed).

I can see therefore that this decision wouldn't arise if Germany conquers Russia and forces it to surrender by capturing its capitals (which leads to the script mentioned below) but otherwise it should.

Regarding the first point, the script for US mobilization to increase every turn by 1-2% if Russia surrenders, only has a 50% chance of happening every turn, so it will be fairly random in its application.

I hope this makes sense and might explain things.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Ancient Demon

Sorry for the delay in replying but I've been out of action for a while.

I've checked the 1914 Call to Arms campaign for Breakthrough and there are two Decision Events as there are different situations that can trigger the decision.

The first is if the Germans sign the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk, and the second is if Russian National Morale has fallen below 1% (i.e. a treaty wasn't signed).

I can see therefore that this decision wouldn't arise if Germany conquers Russia and forces it to surrender by capturing its capitals (which leads to the script mentioned below) but otherwise it should.

Regarding the first point, the script for US mobilization to increase every turn by 1-2% if Russia surrenders, only has a 50% chance of happening every turn, so it will be fairly random in its application.

I hope this makes sense and might explain things.

Bill

That's ok, thanks for the clarification. I wasn't that familiar with this as I've seldom had games last through 1918.

I'm wondering however if it wouldn't be better to remove the 50% chance and have it guaranteed instead, given that most players think the US is currently too slow to enter the war. What do you think?

That's ok, thanks for the clarification. I wasn't that familiar with this as I've seldom had games last through 1918.

I'm wondering however if it wouldn't be better to remove the 50% chance and have it guaranteed instead, given that most players think the US is currently too slow to enter the war. What do you think?

Hi Ancient Demon

I'd hesitate to change this because US entry into WWI wasn't guaranteed, the Central Powers' players can feel penalized if they avoid using unrestricted naval warfare, and/or sending the Zimmerman Telegram, and the USA still enters the war.

This has been a valid concern in the past, as historically German actions dictated US entrance into the war, and the game accounts for that.

So rather than have US entrance guaranteed, I've tried to inspire the Central Powers to carry out those acts which did trigger US entrance, by increasing the incentives to use unrestricted naval warfare. Admittedly if they don't then the Entente miss out on gaining US allies, but at the same time Germany is therefore missing out on a way to hit the UK's income and National Morale.

Bill

I see what you mean, but I prefer the variable chance as otherwise the Central Powers player will know that taking Russia out of the war automatically leads to war with the USA, whereas this way it is a very variable contributor to US mobilization which won't necessarily lead definitely to war.

Admittedly if that was the only factor triggering the US to mobilize, then war with the USA would be very unlikely before France is also knocked out, but I wouldn't want to penalize Central Powers players who have used some unrestricted naval warfare and then pulled back from carrying it too far. Especially as Russia alone would not have been enough to make Wilson enter the war.

I am an aggressive user of unrestricted naval warfare, and I do tend to pull back from actual war with the USA, so that might be influencing my thoughts here.

I like the risk involved, and the current set up keeps things slightly unpredictable too, because there is a chance of war with the USA due to my unrestricted attacks coupled with the fall of Russia, but it isn't certain.

I guess the % chance could be changed slightly, and I'll think about it.

Hi Micha

Here are a few thoughts on keeping your units in good morale and readiness:

• Keep them in good supply
  • Have a HQ commanding them, the best available if possible
  • Reinforce units after they have suffered casualties to the maximum as soon as possible
  • Strengthen with Elite Reinforcements if available
  • After reinforcing, especially from serious casualties, rest the unit for a few turns before committing it to combat again.
  • It can be wise to take battered units out of the line to rest them, because if they remain under shell fire or attack then they will struggle to recover.
  • The liberation of friendly countries that had been conquered, and the loss of friendly countries that surrender, will provide temporary bonuses or penalties to unit morale and readiness. So try to liberate anywhere that falls, and not to lose any allies! :)

I see what you mean, but I prefer the variable chance as otherwise the Central Powers player will know that taking Russia out of the war automatically leads to war with the USA, whereas this way it is a very variable contributor to US mobilization which won't necessarily lead definitely to war.

Admittedly if that was the only factor triggering the US to mobilize, then war with the USA would be very unlikely before France is also knocked out, but I wouldn't want to penalize Central Powers players who have used some unrestricted naval warfare and then pulled back from carrying it too far. Especially as Russia alone would not have been enough to make Wilson enter the war.

I am an aggressive user of unrestricted naval warfare, and I do tend to pull back from actual war with the USA, so that might be influencing my thoughts here.

I like the risk involved, and the current set up keeps things slightly unpredictable too, because there is a chance of war with the USA due to my unrestricted attacks coupled with the fall of Russia, but it isn't certain.

I guess the % chance could be changed slightly, and I'll think about it.

I understand, though I think the Entente may be too weak to defeat the CP without US support after Russia withdraws from the war. Also I'm concerned unrestricted warfare in it's current form may be a bit too all or nothing.

I understand, though I think the Entente may be too weak to defeat the CP without US support after Russia withdraws from the war. Also I'm concerned unrestricted warfare in it's current form may be a bit too all or nothing.

Ah, if it's a question of game balance then I'm all ears, and will be willing to consider changes as necessary. Possibly by tweaking other things, so if the game seems to have a pro-Central Powers balance then please let me know and we can discuss what might need to be done. :)

Perhaps starting a new thread might be best too.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stumbled over this question and Huberts answer in the AOD part of the forum, and thought to myself, that it might be worth a try to add here some pictures and information too. I should add that the recon flights within your own tiles were first introduced with the SC WW1 Breakthrough expansion, so you won't be able to do them in the SC WW1 standard game without the Breakthrough expansion.

Recon_01_zpsafcb1bfb.jpg

Recon_02b_zps9c2c3aa3.jpg

Recon_03_zps3d11e326.jpg

Recon_04_zps04063a5e.jpg

:)