Targeting armoured cars

Hi

I'm having trouble getting some of my lighter armed (MG) armoured cars, and in fact, MGs in general to target other armoured cars, even when it could well be useful - as most armoured cars tend to be a little bit vulnerable to MG fire, so there would be some chance of killing or disabling a driver, and at the least they would be forced to button up.

Is this a side effect of the tweaks made to stop infantry opening fire on tanks with light weapons?

Thanks

7thGalaxy

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, well, scenario is Evil Be to Him - and I'm playing German forces defending against a variety of different British Armoured cars. I have 2 20mm armed armoured cars, and 2 MG armed ones, I think 7.9mm. I also have infantry who have a number of 7.9mm machine guns.

I'm having trouble getting the machine gunners to engage the British armoured cars - even with clear LOS and LOF (although I admit that this can be hard to check), and this includes both the car mounted machine guns and the infantry ones.

I assume that there is some point in them attacking the armoured cars, as they don't have complete protection against MG bullets - or even rifle bullets for that matter - as far as the little diagrams go.

For what it's worth, I have never had this problem, and I have fought many a battle with A/C's on one side or the other, and against both the AI and humans. No problem with either my infantry machine gunners or HT or A/C machine gunners. From the silence, it sounds as if not many others have the problem either. Save game for us to look ove is the way to go.

7thGalaxy,

I haven't had that problem, but I have had a 234/1 given a Target command fire a desultory 2cm burst at the dormer on a house, then cease fire. All it did was rile the occupants, who then shot up my PanzerGrenadiers to express their displeasure! In my experience with the CMBN Demo and the game proper, I've found infantry squads to be chary about shooting at armored cars. I speculate it's because they fear what might be given in return. Considering what they've done to my guys, I can't fault their reasoning.

I've fought infantry vs a mixed Panzer force with 234/1s in it, armored cars on armored cars (cannon only) and .30 cal MG jeeps vs armored cars. Infantry doesn't seem to like engaging armored cars, but the MG jeeps will engage them, then backpedal frantically to avoid return fire. I have not tried a pure MG armored car vs either infantry or armored cars of any stripe. I have noticed no aversion whatsoever from 251/1s to engaging armored cars or halftracks. Indeed, they spew MG fire like no tomorrow.

Regards,

John Kettler