The Road Ahead - Operation Bagration

Oddball_E8,

Gave it a shot, but I didn't realize how you built your sound mods.

Regards,

John Kettler

Yup, it's always been that way for me when it comes to the sounds.

Mainly because "real sounds" never sound real to me. Because the sound a gun makes differes depending on your surroundings. If its wet, if it is in an open area or an indoors area, if its wooded or a great plain, if its high or low preassure in the air.

All kinds of factors.

So thats why I never strive for the "real gun" sounds.

Instead I find that I prefer to have a soundmod that makes it very easy (or at least pretty easy) to distinguish exactly what gun is firing at the moment.

But I also consider some guns to sound so similar that you cannot really distinguish them from eachother if they only fire one shot (ie. if rate of fire does not factor in).

Guns like the M1917 and M1919 (basically the same weapon but with different cooling systems).

These weapons I usually give the same sound.

And the Maxim and the Vickers sound pretty similar to me when I have heard them fired (never in real life tho, just on video, and it is hard to find videos recorded under the same circumstances and with the same equipment)

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mainly because "real sounds" never sound real to me. Because the sound a gun makes differes depending on your surroundings. If its wet, if it is in an open area or an indoors area, if its wooded or a great plain, if its high or low preassure in the air.

All kinds of factors.

Good points.

So thats why I never strive for the "real gun" sounds.

Instead I find that I prefer to have a soundmod that makes it very easy (or at least pretty easy) to distinguish exactly what gun is firing at the moment.

Probably the best way to go.

Michael

Yeah there was a huuuuuge bru-ha-hah about my reccomendation to consolidate some of the sounfiles into one (namely the M1919/M1917, the MG34/42 and the Thompson/Grease gun) because some people couldn't seem to grasp that the main reason some weapons sound different is because of the rate of fire.

And since that is already integrated into the game we don't really need to waste precious sound resources on having different sound files for those weapons.

Yeah there was a huuuuuge bru-ha-hah about my reccomendation to consolidate some of the sounfiles into one (namely the M1919/M1917, the MG34/42 and the Thompson/Grease gun) because some people couldn't seem to grasp that the main reason some weapons sound different is because of the rate of fire.

And since that is already integrated into the game we don't really need to waste precious sound resources on having different sound files for those weapons.

Well, the MG42 had a faster ROF than the MG34. And I believe the Thompson was a bit faster than the M3.

Michael

All scenarios should start just after the heavy arty bombardment..so make sure the units have been abit knocked about if your scenario is to do with a major Russian attack...

If start the scenario pre bombardment we'd have endless turns of Arty hitting and nothing left on the other side at the end of it..not fun.

People have made a big deal about this going back to CMBB days, and in CMBB we did get a lot of heavy Soviet artillery assets. But as I recall, relatively few CMBB scenarios used the really heavy Soviet stuff and frankly I think that players overestimate the applicability of massive Soviet Artillery fires to the CM scale.

It's true that the Soviets often laid down massive prep barrages, lasting sometimes for days and often reaching well behind the German front lines.

However, even late war, the Soviets' ability to adjust indirect fire quickly and on the fly was limited. They simply lacked the radio net and trained officers to do so.

So there was usually a time gap between the end of the prep barrages and the actual assault. In CM terms, this means that the really heavy Soviet steel rain would have already fallen by the time the CM scenario starts, and would be better represented in the game by on-map damage (craters, etc.), and by the condition of German forces at scenario start (reduced head counts, units beginning the battle fatigued, etc.).

You can also argue for other indirect effects, like German forces on defense starting scenarios outside their defensive firing positions to represent units that have moved away from fighting positions in order to avoid getting hit by prep barrages. You then get an interesting setup where might be a race between the advancing attackers, and the defenders trying to re-occupy the defensive positions.

The lack of flexibility in their artillery arm is part of why the Soviets relied so heavily on Direct Fire HE right through the end of the war -- tracked assault guns, towed guns, mortars brought up to direct LOS of the enemy, etc.