The Road Ahead - Operation Bagration

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never even been inside one, but have always wanted to, simply to understand the kind of space inside.

It's often cramped and full of sharp corners to get bumped into (there is a reason why you see tankers wearing helmets). It also tends to be full of stuff that likes to burn at high temperatures. And the armor around this space is seldom as thick as you would like.

Michael

A "Mike Dukakis helmet" :D What every "Tread Head" should have on hand for those late night CM battles ;)

I wish I had the opportunity you guys have to actually get the perspective, drive and fire the guns in AFV.

Would be fun to "rent" an Abrams by the hour :)

Spent six months riding on a CV-90. Fiddled around a bit with the controls and gun too. That thing has possibly the most comfortable sitting position in the world, you could sleep in it easily. Swedish design.

Also rode on BMP-2s, wheeled APCs and on the deck of Leopard 2A4s. I have nightmares about the BMP. So very little space, so uncomfortable and you will choke on all kinds of noxious gases.

A tank's warm exhaust is a grunt's best friend on a cold winter night.

Just a day of M113 and a few laps w/M60A3/5(?). Fun fact: one guy, when it was his turn to drive an M113, actually rolled the thing. Face flip. Just because you're going downhill, straight, does not guarantee an exception to the laws of physics. (No one got hurt. Well, badly, anyway. Some folks say "hurt" means "I suffered discomfort." A bruise or cut is not a "hurt". Bone sticking through skin, if the bone is big enough, that's "hurt". Otherwise, rub some dirt on it and press on. :) But I digress...)

Ken

While we're dealing with close combat and tank problems, I thought I'd note this incident for the record. A Molotov cocktail tank kill in the West. Guess those Germans watched the antitank training films!

http://www.pitnet.net/heathde/749/749-D.htm

(Fair Use)

"One tank hit on turret by mortar fire, breaking all periscopes - no casualties. Another platoon "A" Co to Villers to root out reported 30-40 Germans. One tank destroyed .... by Molotov cocktail; no injuries. Tank caught fire, crew unable to extinguish flames due to exploding ammunition."

(Fair Use)

Regards,

John Kettler

• 3 weeks later...
Have the legions of CM grogonauts run any tests to prove this theory, or is it anecdotal? I certainly am surprised at how quickly my Chally II's pick up close range infantry, which seems at odds to the stories told by an ex-Chally II commander I work with.

Munster Panzermuseum has a M48 or M60 parked outside that you can get into and use most of the optics and the cupola. I took some pics through them when I had my DSLR gear with me. Might post them when I get a chance.

Spotting infantry is challenging, I couldn't even spot my mother walking around there. Let's leave aside the question how I ended up taking my mother to the tank museum, but she didn't have camo on.

In rain? Forget the cupola. The other sights might or might not suffer depending on how far out the glass is and how much rain is there to blow water on them.

That was a bailed from the National Guard M48A5 (105mm gunned M48) I briefly commanded administratively, not an M60A5 (no such tank). No idea how that one got past me. Have also been in a moving M113, but not driving or commanding it. Warbirds Over Addison (Texas) showcased one of two flying (not fling) Zero fighters. Have seen both (other's at Planes of Fame in Chino, California) and seen them fly. The one at Addison was from a combat squadron in New Guinea, and its base would've been visited by Yamamoto, had he not encountered those P-38s! That plane might've been flown by Nishizawa, the top Japanese fighter ace.

The Sherman cupola's glass is all exposed, whereas the German inset vision ports have significant overhang protection, particularly on the drum cupola equipped AFVs.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 2 months later...
So here we are in April and we think sometime between now and June will see the release of Operation Bagration. Unless there has been a hold up somewhere, But Gustav Line was on schedule so here hoping.

Any news Battlefront on a possible release date? And will we get tank riders?

Well we were wrong about the release date and the order of releases, so it looks as if the Eastern Front has been shelved if favour of further Normandy and Gustav Modules/Packs/etc for the foreseeable future.

So Goodbye......

Well we were wrong about the release date and the order of releases, so it looks as if the Eastern Front has been shelved if favour of further Normandy and Gustav Modules/Packs/etc for the foreseeable future.

So Goodbye......

Well OK then goodbye. But don't leave with your knickers in a twist. Nothing has been shelved :D

Steve has said many times that they have several games on the go at one time. While it is true that the MG module is next up he has stated here on this site that both the Easter front game and the modern game are well into development. Not sure which is next mind you...

So Goodbye......

You.re just being ridiculous. Almost every single BFC game has never been released on time, and more so Steve et al have repeatedly stated Ost Front HAS NOT been shelved at all.

Possibly for some of the less-equipped units.

IIRC it started to be replaced with the SG43 in 1943. I am not sure how fast the replacements were being pumped out, but I'm pretty sure some maxims were still in use.

IIRC, the 1910 Maxims were in use in considerable numbers by Soviet forces right through the end of the war -- the SG43 only began to replace it in large numbers in 1944 and production was never sufficient to fully replace the older design. The Red Army was pretty darn huge.

In the Bagration timeframe, I'd actually expect that Maxims would still be pretty common amongst Red Army infantry, perhaps even a majority of MMGs.

IIRC, the 1910 Maxims were in use in considerable numbers by Soviet forces right through the end of the war -- the SG43 only began to replace it in large numbers in 1944 and production was never sufficient to fully replace the older design. The Red Army was pretty darn huge.

In the Bagration timeframe, I'd actually expect that Maxims would still be pretty common amongst Red Army infantry, perhaps even a majority of MMGs.

Well then, I stand corrected! :D (I had no doubt someone more grog than me would step in eventually hehehe)

Battlefront doesn't tend to give out info on more than one project at a time. They were pretty quiet about Market-Garden until after Gustav Line. I would not be surprised if they wait until after the initial week of sales of Market-Garden before they start talking some more about Bagration and Black Sea. In that case we may see them promoting two different products at once as there's not as much buying "crossover" between Modern and WWII. Getting indignant because they did not meet one's own release expectaions will not get them talking.

As some have noted... finding the time to play all their products is tough with real life constraints. I really don't worry about when XYZ comes out as long as Battlefront continues to produce "superior war-games" I will purchase and make time for them all.

I have already picked out some of the sounds for the CMOB(?) version of my soundmod.

I have the Mosin-Nagant, the DPMG, the SVT40 and the PPsh41 all waiting for their proper filenames :D

I will re-use some of my old sounds tho, for example the Maxim will use the same sound as i have on the Vickers currently. And the SG-43 i might use the same sound as the Maxim, but I will keep looking for new sounds to add so they might get their very own sounds after all :D

Oddball_E8,

Use the Vickers sound file to represent the Maxim? Perish the thought! Why use a pale imitation when you can have the real deal? Sparkling, crystal clear audio with no music or talking. Nothing but Maxim goodness!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdU2erseKSc

Regards,

John Kettler

1: i would have to convert it into a single-shot soundfile.

2: it would not fit in with the rest of my sounmod.

3: not a single one of my sounds are supposed to be "the real thing", but instead a distinct sound to make it easier for the player to recognise the weapons being fired. (and still sound nice)