creating Normal map question

How do you create a normal map for a skin texture? I'm assuming it has something to do with taking the bmp and applying a base relief filter in that magenta type colour. But in doing that it doesn't quite look as flat. Also what direction is the light for the relief lines?

Anyone have the recipe? Thanks.

Beware. Normal maps aren't just the art with a filter applied. In the case of the game they almost never are. The current face normal maps were hand-painted highlights for brow ridges, cheek bones, lips, chin, and shadow for eye sockets, ear holes and underlying muscles. What you want for a face normal map has very little to do with that you're seeing on the surface. Black eyebrows will appear as indents in the head! :)

Last time I checked Nvidia had a freeware filter for producing normal maps in Photoshop.

bumpmapskinworker.jpg

Normal map?

Well, I guess I'd have my fences and walls all straight.

Nothing goofy and abnormal.

Then the trees, deciduous gotta be south of the Evergreens.

I think that about covers it.

I am so lost! Maybe I can lay a gustatori insignia layer on an existing helmet.

That is my new crawl before walking goal for mods.